Quantcast

I got me a 5 gal Rum barrel!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Rik van den berg

https://www.instagram.com/odrbrewing/
Reaction score
I picked up a recently emptied rum barrel from the local distillery (Bartlett’s in Conroe TX, worth checking out if you’re ever in the neighborhood)

now I’m pondering what to age in it. I’m leaning towards some sort of pina colada strong ale/barleywine. I’d ferment out something strong (around 10%ABV) and age it in the barrel for however months it’ll take. Then rack it into a carboy with pineapple and coconut for a month or so before bottling.. how does that sound!?

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
That sounds pretty great. There’s a recipe on here for a Pirate Strong Ale that has all those flavors and calls for rum soaked oak. That would be a good match for your barrel.

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds awesome!

I figure if I ever got my hands on one of those..I'd probably just have my nose stuck in the hole inhaling all the goodness.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome score! can't help with beer, i'd probably make a batch of wine and age it in it. or cider!

damn, next batch of cider i do, i'm throwing some oak chips in the fermenter! Thanks for the idea! :mug:

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome score! can't help with beer, i'd probably make a batch of wine and age it in it. or cider!

damn, next batch of cider i do, i'm throwing some oak chips in the fermenter! Thanks for the idea! :mug:
I'm on a similar track...came across a 'recipe' the other day that called for soaking oak chips and maple bacon in bourbon for two weeks. Freeze it, lift off the fat, then dump the chips into the cider. I'll do a small batch to see how it turns out..sounds interesting if nothing else.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
came across a 'recipe' the other day that called for soaking oak chips and maple bacon in bourbon for two weeks.

ahhh, the beauty of homebrew! lol, if you're going for sausage and apple sauce, smoke some breakfast links, then cook them in a pressure cooker! j/k ;)

OP
Rik van den berg

Rik van den berg

Reaction score
That sounds pretty great. There’s a recipe on here for a Pirate Strong Ale that has all those flavors and calls for rum soaked oak. That would be a good match for your barrel.
That name is A LOT better than Pina Colada Ale !

OP
Rik van den berg

Rik van den berg

Reaction score

yeah i have been considering cider or mead as well.... choices choices