I got better efficiency than I wanted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Welp, I brewed up a kolsch on Saturday and if I figured it out right in ProMash I got 87% when the recipe was calculated for 70%. It's good (I guess) bc I got good efficiency but it kinda sucks bc it's gonna be underhopped. Is there anything I can do? Or should I even worry about it?

The recipe was BM's Krisper Kolsch (but I used 1lb of honey malt and dropped the 2row to 6.5lb) OG should have been 1.038 and I got 1.048. IBU's (calculated in ProMash) is 18.

Thanks!!

BTW, didja read this thread bc the green arrow?? :D

I had the same issue with an ordinary bitter recently. Not really too much to do that I can see. What's the upper end of a Kolsch's gravity range? It might be a little bit on the sweet side, but if you ferment it out cleanly, it should be good.

I read this thread not because of a green arrow but because I saw who the OP was and felt like telling them that they suxxorz for screwing up their batch. :D

18 IBU for a 1.048OG beer is fine. It's a little low (BJCP range is 20-30 IBU and the OG range is 1.044-1.050) but not so much that it'll be a problem. I worry more about the pound of honey malt. That stuff can really sweeten up a beer and I doubt you want much sweetness on a kolsch.

Ahh yes the honey malt. Well, this kolsch is for SWMBO and I figured it might be a nice touch...we'll see.

Would it be too out of line to dry hop or do the french press hop if it does indeed turn out to be too sweet when I go to keg it?

Next time I'll know to plug in like 85% for my eff....

I wouldn't dry hop a Kolsch, it's not supposed to have much hop aroma. If it needs it, though, screw the name and toss a little Saaz or Tettnag or Hallertau in the keg. Don't worry about it now, though. Just don't call it a Kolsch if you do!

Oh I'm no stickler when it comes to style guidlines..... I'll let it ferment out...give it a month of so of cold storge and then see whats up.

+1 on the green arrow. I just can't stay away!

If I were you I'd just dry hop it with .5 oz or so. I'm sure it will be great either way, but maybe not the exact Kolsch you were looking for.

How about boiling some hops for 45 minutes or so and adding the liquid to your secondary? Then you are adding the actual bittering oils and not just aroma

Back