I got 87% efficiency this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbing

Reaction score
I have done about 15 or 16 all grain batches and was getting about 60-65% efficiency with pre-milled grain. I recently bought a Barley Crusher and was able to get 75% on the factory setting during my last 2 batches. On this last batch I narrowed the gap a bit. I didn't measure the gap but turned the adjustment knob to 1 o'clock on one side and 11 o'clock on the other. The grind was a lot finer but most of the husks were still intact so I decided to give it a go.

I use a SS braid in the bottom of a 10 gal round cooler and did not even have a hint of a stuck sparge. I used a double batch sparge. I couldn't believe the hydro reading, 87% efficiency. The recipe was calculated for 75% so it was way higher than I expected.

Now the trick is to se if I can do it again to prove that this was not a fluke.

Congrats, that is a very good number, now like you said try it again to see of you can repeat it, it sure is nice to have ALL control over your crush, good luck on your next batch.:mug:

Very nice, congrats. I have my system dialed in to 70% and have yet to adjust my BC. I tried it once, on a Rye IPA. That wasn't the best idea I ever had. The rye was like cement and I got my first ever stuck sparge. I've been scared to try it again ever since. One day I may get the cahones to try and make the same adjustment as you, but I will NEVER crush rye on anything other than factory settings again! :)

Is there a way to calc your your efficiency? How do you know what your % is?

Cheers

Brewing software such as BeerSmith and ProMash are wonderful. They make doing these calculations a snap and really are helpful when designing recipes. There are also a number of other useful tools as well. A soild investment in my opinion.

Conroe, what mill do you use? I currently get mine pre-milled from AHB, but would like to move to crushing my own soon.

Very nice, congrats. I have my system dialed in to 70% and have yet to adjust my BC. I tried it once, on a Rye IPA. That wasn't the best idea I ever had. The rye was like cement and I got my first ever stuck sparge. I've been scared to try it again ever since. One day I may get the cahones to try and make the same adjustment as you, but I will NEVER crush rye on anything other than factory settings again! :)

Rice hulls, my friend, Rice Hulls. I'm given to understand that a beta-glucan rest at 95F can help with lautering rye-heavy grain bills. So far, I've gone with as much as 25% rye without rice hulls, but normally I use the hulls, just for peace of mind.

Just tightened mine down... the tale will be told on Wednesday.

Jamil Z days that he shoots for a 70% efficiency because too high will extract a higher percentage of undesirables.

I think he must mean a lower proportion of the most desirables. Done right it's just more sugar, but perhaps slightly less malty. I like to look at it as more beer per pound and that is a desirable to me.

Brewing software such as BeerSmith and ProMash are wonderful. They make doing these calculations a snap and really are helpful when designing recipes. There are also a number of other useful tools as well. A soild investment in my opinion.

Which would you recommend to buy? BeerSmith or Promash.

Is there any science behind this? Commercially breweries are extracting 90+ and some of them are making some damn fine beer.

Its actually a bit of a pet peeve of Jamil's when people try to compare homebrewers to big breweries. Two different things. The science behind it is "oversparging". I'm not a scientist, but the way I understand it, the pH will slowly shift as you sparge, and the more you sparge the more sugar you will get, and the higher your efficiency will be, but the slowly changing pH will begin to extract tannins from the grain husks.

To a big brewery, one percentage difference in efficiency could mean substantial amounts of money. We can allow our efficiency to lower by 5-10% and it might only cost you an extra pound of grain. If that makes better beer, it is worth it IMO.

Back