I got 2nd Place! ...But,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
Well I entered some beers into a local contest here in Portland. The beer I really liked didnt place but the Paulaner Hefe did get second. The person who beat me was the president of the organization that ran the contest so thats interesting. Although, he did win tons of categories.

The big BUT is there were only four entries in that category. So I guess that means Im only in the 75th percentile :eek:

But your beer was still good enough to place. A lot of comps won't award medals if there aren't any beers over 30 or so on the scoresheet. A friend of mine judged a dark lager category and they didn't award a first or second because all the beer was so awful.

Good work CPAle! I had one place 2nd as well (out of three entered). I almost wish they didn't post the number of entrants per category sometimes :p

My favorite win so far was a 3rd place because it was out of 34 beers. I think they were already way too drunk to know what they were talking about.

Out of curiosity, does or has anybody entered into something like this with an extract kit? or maybe an extract kit with additions?

Out of curiosity, does or has anybody entered into something like this with an extract kit? or maybe an extract kit with additions?

Many awards have been won with extract recipes. The trick is to use a really good recipe and perfect every aspect of the process.

Then enter in a competition and get really really lucky. ;)

I think I'm done entering APA's, stouts, ambers and porters.

From now on it's sour lambics, berliner weiss's, maibocks and whatever other "nobody ever brews" styles are out there.

I mean...a medal is a medal, right. :D

Congrats on placing...:rockin:

I think I'm done entering APA's, stouts, ambers and porters.

From now on it's sour lambics, berliner weiss's, maibocks and whatever other "nobody ever brews" styles are out there.

I mean...a medal is a medal, right. :D

Congrats on placing...:rockin:

Haha. You have almost no chance of winning with an IPA out here. It sucks.

grats on geting 2nd.

I for one would wonder if they did not due a blind testing of the beers(read no lables just numbers and no one knows who brewed what) if the president one.

grats on geting 2nd.

I for one would wonder if they did not due a blind testing of the beers(read no lables just numbers and no one knows who brewed what) if the president one.
On the flip side, one doesn't become the president of a homebrew club because you don't like homebrewing. The guy is probably just a real good brewer.

Back