I give up! Might as well just brew hooch from now on...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Right! That does it! If I can't enjoy good beer anymore than I might as well brew hooch!

Stupid F$%*ing whacked taste/olefactory senses. No sense continuing on. If I cannot enjoy quality
I'll just drown my liver in quantity.

:mad:

:(

COOKIESANDMILK.jpg

Let me see 15 lbs. of sugar
turbo yeast
and water.

Sounds good eh?

I think I am done with all this beer nonsense.

Laters.

Don't bother with that chacoal filtering biz, that's for wusies. The worser it tastes, the better.

Yes, I said worser.

And i meant it too.

Zym, could it be that your taste/olefactory senses have just improved so much that they can't be satisfied? Don't give up. Don't ever give up.:D

heres two recipes for you to try, both will get you drunk and more importantly taste awful:
1 gallon cheap orange juice
1lb cane sugar
1 packet bread yeast

1 gallon milk
1 lactaid tablet ground to powder
1 packet bread yeast

Pruno, Prisonwine or Porkfelwein, you decide....

If you go the prison hooch route, go with the hunt's ketchup, not the no-name generic stuff like the packets you steal from Mcdonald's....

Well I am glad I can at least bring a little humor to you folks, cause this really depresses me.

I get a lot of pleasure from simple things like beer and food and not being able to taste them properly is a big bummer to me.

You want to know the brilliantly beautiful smegging irony?!

My taste malfunctions that cause me depression are caused by...

Can ya geuss?

Anti-depressants. Also anti-GERD medicince. At least I am fairly certain as both of them have "taste perversion" as side effects.

I ain't very proud i take anti-depressants. In fact I hate it, but I have tried everything not to have to and I cannot function. I use all the crap, light therapy, exercise, you name it.

Yeah I know, I should not drink if and take AD's. Fu ck that. Alcohol is not what brings me down. Though not properly tasting it does. :(

/end rant.

Laugh on.

Sorry, man. No more laughing here. New information reveals that you are in an awful quandry. My condolonces.

You might hate the medication, but it is important. Far more important than being able to taste anything. If only this one joy in your life is affected, then you are ahead of the game.

Still, drink the beer. Feel its beauty, however it is given to you.:)

Most importantly, keep truckin'.

I think I am in the exact opposite boat as you. Since getting totally ****faced last night on my first experience (unpleasureable) with Apfelwein, I think I am going to write off the hooch brews as they are too easy to get carried away with.

You want something that tastes like **** EVERY time regardless of strain, but still packs quite the wallop? Grow mushrooms...

I vote for Pan Cyans (or any other Panoleus strain)

For educational purposes only that is... ;)
-Me

Your anti-depressants and your beer(aka:depressant) are duking it out with your anti-GERD gumming up the works causing your taste buds to become clogged with an excess of smagma.

What you need is something that goes beyond taste. You should try a chile/jalapeno flavored beer. That way if you can't taste it, it will still burn like hell.

Ah, yes, the redolent afterburn of a capsaicin laced brew. Now doesn't that sound refreshing. Just watch out for the heart burn.

By the way, what is GERD?

the shrooms arent a bad idea they actully have been shown to have anti-depressant properties, somthing to do with increased saratonin levels in the brain as well as increased dopimean senstivity... call it self medication... and you will love the taste of everything... not that i have ever had shrooms... but i know people who use them all the time... consult your doctor before fallowing this advise... as for the hooch... well there are hooches which taste good as well... i know your being exzagerative because of your emotional and mental distress but actully you maybe onto somthing... i dont mean the hooch i mean a change in your brewing style may be required to see you through this transitional periode in your life... alot of famous people change the focus of there hobby with the change of there moods so it satisfis them in there new state... Picasso had his blue period, Shakespear wrote some of the most inspireing tragidies of all time, lord byron walked the path of singel stanza qintets, Black beard attacked only dutch ships for nearly a year, Steve jobs invented the Ipod, while at the same time Bill gates began thinking of ways to hang himself... Some of the greatest things in all of time and existance have been created when a persons mood and pass times were in flux... I started brewing when seriously deperssed, not for the Achohal but for somthing to pass the time... Time goes on and life itself slips away, an ever ever ticking clock, an ever ever turning wheel. But like the road beneath the wheel we are ever changing, and like the car we are forced to ride the ever changing road... it brings to mind a question... Somtimes are we the road or are we the car? Which subtracting the metaphore... Are we the living, or life itself?

your not alone man

Cheers

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a condition that affects millions of people, and can cause significant health problems. GERD is commonly clinically referred to as acid reflux disease. AstraZeneca is providing this resource to help both consumers and health care professionals learn more about GERD, its symptoms, and treatment options. (from GERD.com)

Gerd is common with the use of antideppressants.

When my brother died, my doc suggested I start taking some pills to take the edge off. I had a battery of tests to check and make sure that I did not have an aneyurism-commonly, if on sibling has it, so will the other. I was lucky- i did not.

I am not a doctor-
I can tell you what worked for me. I started a regular exercise program. And I mean every day-7 am walk 3 miles. Eat healthier food, try to reduce caffiene. Eat lots of green vegetables, the darker the better. Stay Hydrated. 8 glasses a day, minimum. My blood pressure when i was younger was always low, after the loss of my brother and other events, it was high. The BP med made my arms shake uncontrollably.
When I was on the meds, I would have 4 beers and be puking, and have acid reflux. Got off it slow, and will never take anything like it again.

The cause of depression in my earlier years was a chemical imbalance in my brain. Eating healthy, losing weight, exercise, and getting active in a social circle made it manageable. The loss of my brother and my fiance and her child who knew me as Dad was my second bout with depression.

Depression Causes

The causes of depression are complex. Genetic, biological, and environmental factors can contribute to its development. In some people, depression can be traced to a single cause, while in others, a number of causes are at play. For many, the causes are never known.

* Currently, it appears that there are biochemical causes for depression, occurring as a result of abnormalities in the levels of certain chemicals in the brain.

o These chemicals are called neurotransmitters.

o The abnormalities are thought to be biological and are not caused by anything you did.

* While we still don't know exactly how levels of these neurotransmitters affect mood, we do know that the levels can be affected by a number of factors.

****The best I have ever felt was when I was not drinking- especially since you are taking pills. Talk to your doc. Ask him why he feels that you need to be on pills. IN MY OPINION-- Some docs are pill dispensers and treat symptoms, and some docs treat the whole person. ***

I got kinda windy, but i hope this helps. Feel free to Pm.

Your anti-depressants and your beer(aka:depressant) are duking it out with your anti-GERD gumming up the works causing your taste buds to become clogged with an excess of smagma.

What you need is something that goes beyond taste. You should try a chile/jalapeno flavored beer. That way if you can't taste it, it will still burn like hell.

Ah, yes, the redolent afterburn of a capsaicin laced brew. Now doesn't that sound refreshing. Just watch out for the heart burn.

By the way, what is GERD?

Either you're a serious wise @ss or you were super unintentionally ironic!

GERD is Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Meaning I have wicked heartburn all the time (think chest pains that feel like someone kicking you in the sternum) without medication. The perversity is I LOVE HOT PEPPERS! I still eat them even though at times I start hiccuping just looking at them. Beer acidity is not too helpful either. :(

there they are, the twin wet blankets of reason, logic and compasion. I'm gonna go raid the fridge and surf for pr0n.

what happens when I push this bu

Either you're a serious wise @ss or you were super unintentionally ironic! :(

SWMBO votes for the former. Does A**hole mean the same thing?

And yes, I googled GERD before I posted so I guess that means I vote for the former as well.

Humor and or harrasment are perceived. A dirty joke gets told in the lunchroom at work. It gets some laughs but the church lady in the back files harrassment charges. It is how it is perceived.

By the way, if this was an actual revelation of personal problems. Sorry.

Anyhow, I don't know what ironic means.

hey thanks NJTomatoguy for that.

Yeah, my depression (and did I mention anxiety since I am lettin' it all hang out!) has always been with me. Definitely biochemical/genetic. I avoided medication for the longest time. I have always been anti-medication! I would avoid taking aspirin unless really really necessary! I do exercise. I do a brisk half hour walk every morning before the kids get up. I use a SAD light albeit not regularly. I practice Taijiquan and zen mediation (though admittedly not very frequently lately) and also Kendo. Also not recently but man that helped a lot! Something about the possibility of getting whomped with a practice sword is relaxing de facto. Makes you focus on not focusing! The ultimate way of finding Zen I think!

My GERD is hereditary. My Dad has it too. Though they do go hand in hand it would seem. Along with teeth clenching/grinding and muscle tightening...

As to eating I am vegetarian so yeah, I need to pay close attention to getting enough B vitamins and such (homebrew is good for that ;)) for proper neuro function. But I eat a lot of green leafy's and supplements. My blood pressure despite my anxiety and depression is and always has been very low. Last check-up the nurse said I had the BP of a teenager!

Social circle? Well that would be you folks. Since returning to New England I have really only made one friend. I live in a pretty rural area. Most of the folks I have encountered are rich folks who moved here to retire so considerably older than me. The folks I encounter who are my age... Well, we are not in the same stratosphere...

On a happier note. I just re-tried Double Bastard and enjoyed it immensely!
yeah. I am funked up.

SWMBO votes for the former. Does A**hole mean the same thing?

And yes, I googled GERD before I posted so I guess that means I vote for the former as well.

Humor and or harrasment are perceived. A dirty joke gets told in the lunchroom at work. It gets some laughs but the church lady in the back files harrassment charges. It is how it is perceived.

By the way, if this was an actual revelation of personal problems. Sorry.

Anyhow, I don't know what ironic means.

You're funny.

:D

the shrooms arent a bad idea they actully have been shown to have anti-depressant properties, somthing to do with increased saratonin levels in the brain as well as increased dopimean senstivity... call it self medication... and you will love the taste of everything... not that i have ever had shrooms... but i know people who use them all the time... consult your doctor before fallowing this advise... as for the hooch... well there are hooches which taste good as well... i know your being exzagerative because of your emotional and mental distress but actully you maybe onto somthing... i dont mean the hooch i mean a change in your brewing style may be required to see you through this transitional periode in your life... alot of famous people change the focus of there hobby with the change of there moods so it satisfis them in there new state... Picasso had his blue period, Shakespear wrote some of the most inspireing tragidies of all time, lord byron walked the path of singel stanza qintets, Black beard attacked only dutch ships for nearly a year, Steve jobs invented the Ipod, while at the same time Bill gates began thinking of ways to hang himself... Some of the greatest things in all of time and existance have been created when a persons mood and pass times were in flux... I started brewing when seriously deperssed, not for the Achohal but for somthing to pass the time... Time goes on and life itself slips away, an ever ever ticking clock, an ever ever turning wheel. But like the road beneath the wheel we are ever changing, and like the car we are forced to ride the ever changing road... it brings to mind a question... Somtimes are we the road or are we the car? Which subtracting the metaphore... Are we the living, or life itself?

your not alone man

Cheers

Phew!

Did I mention I too am a "sensitive artiste" ;)

Thanks. You folks are great, and it ain't just the hooch, er I mean alcohol talking...

:drunk:

where's that barley wine...

:mug:I take a spoon full of baking soda stirred up in a glass of water whenever I get heartburn or reflux. Seems to be a wonder remedy. Of course that's me but it will take away the acid that wakes me from a sleep. Sorry about not being able to taste your deserving reward for your labors.:mug:

Social circle? Well that would be you folks. Since returning to New England I have really only made one friend. I live in a pretty rural area. Most of the folks I have encountered are rich folks who moved here to retire so considerably older than me. The folks I encounter who are my age... Well, we are not in the same stratosphere...

On a happier note. I just re-tried Double Bastard and enjoyed it immensely!
yeah. I am funked up.

Social circle? Am i qulified for that??... Im glad you got your taste buds back in line, to lose what is precious to ones-self is well... its not cool... still, im sure everybody here agrees with me when i say, you can say anything to us and count on respect and support... HBrewers dont leave HBrewers behind...

that reminded me of a time when i was in highschool and i edited the homecomming poster which said orginally "teens dont let teens drink"... it eventully said "Teachers dont let teens think"... the priciple was quite angry when i sugested that the only reason i didnt put "Self rightious athority self acclaimed athority figures dont let teens think" was because it didnt take advantage of the obvious illiteration avaible... i got two days worth of detention, but my english teacher gave me extra credit for my use of a retorical device in a public forum...

Cheers

Edit: Oh and hey Zym you got a recipe for that barley wine? i just thought of looking for one and whilest i am here prevailing wisdome upon you i thought i would prevail upon you for your recipe... cheers

:mug:I take a spoon full of baking soda stirred up in a glass of water whenever I get heartburn or reflux. Seems to be a wonder remedy.

WOW! Careful with that remedy! Seriously! I tried that once and was in EXCRUCIATING PAIN! Thought I was going to burst open like in the movie Alien! In fact I prayed I would to relieve the pain! The amount of gas produced was immense! Baking soda and excess stomach/esophageal acid DO NOT MIX well! Get some zantac man!

Edit: Oh and hey Zym you got a recipe for that barley wine? i just thought of looking for one and whilest i am here prevailing wisdome upon you i thought i would prevail upon you for your recipe... cheers

Ah well, I have yet to taste my own finished barley wine. Check back in, um, 9-10 months? No, just commercial ones right now.

:mug:

Ah well, I have yet to taste my own finished barley wine. Check back in, um, 9-10 months? No, just commercial ones right now.

:mug:

understood, i will expect updates on that... I did a meade today im planing on leaving alone until nex new years after i bottle... yeah... if patterns are any indication... i might have one bottle left...

cheers

folks without GERD cannot understand how it affects ones life... and double that for anxiety.

best things i have done in my life, both for myself, and my family, was get OFF Paxil, and get ON omiprizole.
took two years to get my brain back right (what is "right" anyway).

now i am faced with a SWMBO with COPD and my next vice is coming to an end. she is all i have. i have to quit smoking with her. im heading for some mad depression myself.

good luck bro. hang in there. keep brewing.
if you cannot taste it, senmd it to me. im lucky, i have the olfactory **** still working.

i have to quit smoking with her. im heading for some mad depression myself.

im lucky, i have the olfactory **** still working.

Not for long you don't! Thanks for the encouraging words. I send some on to you in advance. I think you will find quitting smoking will F up your senses for a while. In the long run though it will be for the better! Prepare to be shocked at the intensity of flavors you will experience once you quit!

Latest posts

Back