I give, any ideas? Sour/sweet cascade/Amarillo blonde.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffLacoy

Reaction score
OK, second attempt at this. Blonde ale, first one was a complete horror show, boil and mash were a nightmare, way undershot mash temp, frozen chiller hose eventually leading to spraying hose water in semi cool wort, etc. That one ended up smelling really sour, and stuck to your tongue like sauce, dumped the fermenter.

Had high hopes, so brewed it again.

Mash 60min @150
9lbs 2row/pale malt
1.1lb white wheat malt
4oz carapils
4oz 20L
.25oz cascade/amarillo FWH
.5 oz cascade /Amarillo 10min
.5oz cascade /Amarillo 20min whirpool
Pitched starter of 1318, sat between 65-66 first three days, few days at 68-69, was still bubbling so bumped to 72 for a few days as well.

Finished out at 1.010. Still a rather odd sour smell from fermenter, almost like a tart hard cider or apple-y Snell, and is initially lightly sour upon taking a sip, quickly turns to a not unpleasant malt sweetness that is most pronounced at the back of your tongue.

Just threw it in the keezer to crash it, hoping some of the aroma drops off? Not really sure what the deal is, mainly the sour/apple smell is getting me. Is it possibly the combination of hops? Cascade was a new one to me, 8th brew, and all the rest have been great. Could be purely a dud combo of hops, or possibly something else? Don't want to call this one a failure!

20170405_211512.jpg

Some of what you're tasting is probably the yeast. You might also want to read about acetaldehyde.

The fermentation took forever, I've had bigger beers finish out in days with 1318. I feel as though I underpitched, I've got probably 200ml of pure yeast slurry I just made up, would repitching some fresh yeast into it help to finish clean it up, or no use at this point? There's about a solid inch of pure yeast in the bottom of fermenter, so definitely plenty in there at this point.

It's been 2 weeks. Haven't had issue with any of my others. Probably going to just keg it tonight and see what happens. Lol. It's sounding like acetaldehyde, maybe this being a bit lower gravity and more lightly hopped, its more pronounced versus the other hoppy pales and ipas I've done.

As a matter of fact, my porter I bottled was initially pretty 'sour', and after a month in bottles it's spot on where I want it to be. Just impatient I guess!

It's been 2 weeks. Haven't had issue with any of my others. Probably going to just keg it tonight and see what happens. Lol. It's sounding like acetaldehyde, maybe this being a bit lower gravity and more lightly hopped, its more pronounced versus the other hoppy pales and ipas I've done.

As a matter of fact, my porter I bottled was initially pretty 'sour', and after a month in bottles it's spot on where I want it to be. Just impatient I guess!

What yeast did you use for the porter?

1318, lol. I've got it on hand, and was actually OK if it threw some esters, wanted to try something different in terms of a porter.

Back