I gave in to Apfelwein.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
When I first signed onto HBT, I never had any plans to make this. That was until I saw the massive amount of threads on the subject. It seems every brew signature has "EdWorts Apfelwein" in it somewhere. I had to know what all the fuss was about so i started a 2 gallon batch. They both have been bubbling away for 2 days now..

IMG_0780.jpg

this was less than 24 hours later. The color changed completely..

IMG_0783.jpg

I drink apple juice on a regular basis, so I'm sure I'll like this..

I'll say it... I HATE APFELWEIN! I hate it because it runs out too quick, it's inexpensive, it's potent, it's delicious, and it causes me to drink more of it than I'd care too!

I'll say it... I HATE APFELWEIN! I hate it because it runs out too quick, it's inexpensive, it's potent, it's delicious, and it causes me to drink more of it than I'd care too!

See?! and it's comments like these that make me surprised that cocaine isnt in the recipe. :p

I do like the "Im gonna put asprin in it next time so I wont forget to take it" comment in the main thread :rockin:

Yeah the Apfelwein got me into brewing, it sounds so good and the recipe/technique is so simple, less intimidating than Beer. I just need mine to hurry up and get done, it has been 7 weeks, I bet it will be done soon, it is pretty clear.

Leave it for 4 months or more if you can wait that long. ;) The apple flavors come back, and any sulfury notes will have disappeared.

This is what is going to happen. One day when that batch is ready to drink you will pour a pint (even though this is wine strength the HB'er in us calls for a pint).

The next thing you will know is waking up half naked in th bathtub wearing a tutu and covered in lip stick and possibly a new tattoo on you ass that says "Sally".

You will get up to discover both 1 gal jugs of apfelwein empty.

SO, obviously you need to make more that 2g at a time.

Pfft, I like my Apfelwein like I like my women. Young, fresh, and smelling of rhino farts.

Thats odd, i like my women like my coffee.

ground up and in the frezzer

or

I like my women like my whiskey

12 years old and mixed up with coke.

yes i have a bad funny bone.

dude, you guys have me laughing my ass off like a moron all by myself over here!! thank you for that.

Thats odd, i like my women like my coffee.

ground up and in the frezzer

or

I like my women like my whiskey

12 years old and mixed up with coke.

yes i have a bad funny bone.

A little 80 year old white man once told me: "I like my women like I like my coffee; black & strong!" LOL :D

ROTFLMAO!!!!

It's seems to be an acquired taste. I've found that people either love it or hate it. BUt then again i have yet to let it condition long enough. I can't get enough of it.

Interesting story. Took a large sample for a hydro reading and tasting. Discovered my hydrometer was broken (poltergeists?) so decided to drink the sample. Next thing I know it's 4am.

Apparently I thiefed two more glasses of the stuff.

That's apfelwein my avatar is drinking.

That's what I do, but I also leave it in a cool place (<45F) after primary fermentation has finished. If you were to leave it someplace warmer, you'd likely want to rack it off the yeasties to prevent off-flavors from autolysis.

That's what I do, but I also leave it in a cool place (<45F) after primary fermentation has finished. If you were to leave it someplace warmer, you'd likely want to rack it off the yeasties to prevent off-flavors from autolysis.

I have left mine for a good amount of time just sitting in the primary with the yeast and everything.

There's almost as many posts about how farked up you get drinking AW as there is posts totaling the how many gallons have been made.
:drunk:

I almost constantly have some going. Its too easy to drink.

I make a lot of it - I just don't drink it because I'm scared....

but, I have lots of nice aged apfelwein on hand for a really big bender soon!

I've carbonated it. It messes you up even faster. :mug:

That's the best way (and IMO the only way) to drink it! For those who aren't a huge fan, or if you have altered the recipe and it didn't turn out as planned, a little Canada Dry or Sprite mixed in on the rocks fixes everything!

What's even worse is to have been drinking beer, and have a buzz going, then switch to apfelwein. Drinking it in moderation doesn't become a slight consideration. Talk about getting ripped. You won't know what happened when when you wake up. You'll be saying what the f... happened. The answer is afpelwein....

Back