I found something unexpected in the Beercan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefox

Reaction score
Ok i now this is about homebrew but maybe someone knwo what I found in a beer can that worries me
I drank a Franziskaner Can beer late on the evning some days ago
All beer i drink i take out once in the week separate from the other garbage because i have to take it to a bottle container that is a bit futher away

So Recently when picking up all the empty cans
I was Shocked to find what for me looked like a pieze of skin condom
with some Black dirt on

It look like some GUM with something black on
it was found on top of the Empty can but was halfway down into the can
so it could have come from the bottom of the can

Here is the photos:
2q36t07.jpg

16299w.jpg

I have never seen something like this inside a can
In my house im the only one and the beer was drank at home so no way nobody could have placed it in there.

I hope is not a condom could it be a pieze of isolation that has break free from the can
but the black dirt do worries me

So far I have not get sick of this one
But last year I drank a Franziskaner and 7 hour later Get Very sick
I have Spasm and pain in stomache that came in waves

I was in bed for 3 days with extreme pain
after 2 days a Doctor checked me saying the gall Was inflamated
but he ruled out food poison

I had eat a kebab i make home the same day so i ended up beliving it was the kebab back then
But now i again beging to think it was the beer

Both cans was Franziskaner beer

Since i lost the reciept from this second time
the shop refuse to do anything

I have called the Distribuitor here and they was surprised
they asked me to send photos by email
I have not heard from them since

I called Brewery in Germany they say they only speak german cant help
I sent email with photos of can and what i found Not reply

I will wait before i go to authorities to find out first from some expert
what this can be

I plan to do a experiment
Open a new franziskaner i have here and pour it into a glas and drink it
(however i feel a bit scared to drink franziskaner after this 2 things that have happened this have never happened with another beer brewery)

Ok so in experiment once beer is poured out
i will check how the isolation inside look
maybe even cut up the can to check it

I will also check if is something that is formed for the beer being opened for days but as i said this has i done before and never has this happened

Anyway once the new beer can is empty i will leave it with a little bit of beer in the buttom for some days i will then see if something similar comes out

Now any suggestion what this is

I wouldn't drink Franziskaner ever again...

For me i'm begining to think if i should avoid it
I have now had 2 incident with Franziskaner and Zero with other beers ever

And the suport at franziskaner dont look very good
the first time they said : You cant get sick of our beer
This second time: the excuse is they only speak german and dont reply my emails.

I could get in contact with some health authorities but since the beer is imported i guess is not much they can do in the country i live in
maybe i have to contact health authorities in Germany?

if there was some expert here that could be totaly sure what this is
for this reason i post see if someone can find out

Looks just like mold to me. It has nothing to do with the type of beer. There's enough food in an empty beer can to build a colony. You left this out for a few days before you picked it up, and it got moldy.

from the photos i agree it looks like mold. just dried up but it's hard to tell from photo.

I looked at the pictures, I would hope that isn't a condom. That looks more like a sock of some sort.

On your first picture, is the black powdery stuff on the wood surface from the object?

I dont understand what you mean
The black powdery stuff is seen on the second photo
is like is on one side but not much on the other
when touching the black stuff fingers get dirty

Looks just like mold to me. It has nothing to do with the type of beer. There's enough food in an empty beer can to build a colony. You left this out for a few days before you picked it up, and it got moldy.

That is a posibility yes
Is just that i always leave empty beer a few days and from the exact same product but that never has happened before

A Experiment i will do will see if is mold
i will open a beer can of franziskaner
leave little beer in the bottom then leave it open for a week to be sure

Now if something similar pops up of the can i know is mold
now if nothing happens then it cant be mold

either from isolation from inside the can or something from brewery

I have now written a email with the photos to United nation food security organization to get some guidance
i gave them the website and phone number of the german brewery

To do your test, make sure it's in the same environment. You can also drink what you pour out, but I'm not sure I would.

Hmmmm well i will make sure is totaly clean inside and that it look okey
Yes i will test in same enviroments

I took a look inside the beer can now with a flashlight
and is more Black powder in the bottom
Also the GUM i found inside i found it to be elastic ugh

The beer is a wheat type beer

I have more cans of this beer and i dont feel like trashing it
but If I find something inside them then no i dont drink

As for now i have not get sick of the beer i drank that i found this thing in
and i guess by now i wont get sick of that beer
but it still Traumatize me if it was a used condom which can expose me to certain risk
As being male the risk im concerned about is Aids and thing like that

It wasn't the same can that made you sick, was it? Do you drink it from the can, or pour into a glass? I would think that you would notice something inside the can when you emptied it, regardless if you drank from the can or not.

It wasn't the same can that made you sick, was it? Do you drink it from the can, or pour into a glass? I would think that you would notice something inside the can when you emptied it, regardless if you drank from the can or not.

No the one i got sick from was another can same brewery 1 year ago
I always drink directly from bottle or can because i like the taste better that way.

But i will never again drink directly from Franziskaner can again

When i drank from beer can i didn't notice anything usual
i placed the can together with the others can to be taken out to trash later
it was when i took the other to trash i discovered the issue

When i discovered the issue the object was found on top of the can
but dangling halfway inside the opening of the can

the thought of finding a condom in a beer is pretty distgusting. I chuckled at the title assuming that it really wasnt though.... Anyways glad I didnt drink a condom beer.

Random mold spores are in our every day environment. There's very little that tells me this came from inside what was in the can. You're looking for answers in weird places.

Random mold spores are in our every day environment. There's very little that tells me this came from inside what was in the can. You're looking for answers in weird places.

That the thing was found on top of the can (but halfway in it)
could mean either:

1. It came from inside the can but being tired that evning i didnt notice that thing just when it had come up and luckely i stopped and didnt drink more

2. It is mold that has formed on top of the can
there is black powder on it but this is also inside the can
so somehow this make me think it came from inside can whatever it is

Frankly i dont know what to believe but i can test to see if is mold atleast
if i found the same black powder forming in the bottom AFTER leaving the beer for under a week and some Gum-like mold on top of my beer can
then with this i can know for sure it was not a condom

and yea the though of a condom or some other object is realy disturbing i keep thinking about this all the time so much
Reason why i cant avoid asking expert see what it can be
best is if i can get it analized

Oh yea the Health dep. dont care about products that have been opened meaning i must pay for get it analized it can get expensive.

I know that from photos No conclusion can be made 100%

What a strange thread.

When I looked at the picture, I knew immediately that it's a mold colony and nothing more.

Go ahead and leave about a 1/4 beer left in the can. After a few days it will begin to grow mold... after a few weeks? all the liquid will evaporate and you have a paper-like object, much like the picture, dried up in the bottom of the bottle/can which is the mold colony.

I know this because I am a lazy bastard, and I have to try and rinse **** like that out of bottles all the time.

I have seen something similar to that form on top of a waste container at a bar where they had no drain. The sink drained to a big tun and they emptied it every week or so. Well they forgot to empty it for a 2 weeks. They earlier had tapped a new wheat beer and poured the dregs of the first pour of a settled keg into the sink...

They saw a massive growth and the thing floating on top actually looked like a piece of moldy cloth... It was scary as ****... lol

If the can was freshly opened, I'm sure that it didn't have any mold growing on it. But leaving an open can for weeks encourages all kinds of mold and bacteria growth. If you leave an open container of milk on your container, you'll probably find a "skin" with growth as well. Just because it's there NOW doesn't mean it was there when it was opened.

Clean up your apartment, and clean out your empties (or at least rinse them like everybody else does if you're going to leave them lying around) and your problem will be solved. I recycle. I rinse my cans/bottles right after finishing a beer.

When I looked at the picture, I knew immediately that it's a mold colony and nothing more.

Go ahead and leave about a 1/4 beer left in the can. After a few days it will begin to grow mold... after a few weeks? all the liquid will evaporate and you have a paper-like object, much like the picture, dried up in the bottom of the bottle/can which is the mold colony.

Thanks This make me lesser worried
But still it dosnt fully explain why i found the pieze on top of the can
dangling halfway in the opening
unless there was some beer spilled on top back then

I have seen something similar to that form on top of a waste container at a bar where they had no drain. The sink drained to a big tun and they emptied it every week or so. Well they forgot to empty it for a 2 weeks. They earlier had tapped a new wheat beer and poured the dregs of the first pour of a settled keg into the sink...

They saw a massive growth and the thing floating on top actually looked like a piece of moldy cloth... It was scary as ****... lol

WOW
But can mold be elastic and gum-like? (I ask because i have no experience about mold first time i see on food)
for me it look like Elastic gum but somehow paperish
you can however stick it with a needle easy make hole

Clean up your apartment, and clean out your empties (or at least rinse them like everybody else does if you're going to leave them lying around) and your problem will be solved. I recycle. I rinse my cans/bottles right after finishing a beer.

I normaly Rinse them but i might have forgot about this one
was too tired that evning so just put it with the others
and there it stay in the Beer morgue until i move them to Beer cementery (Bottle Trash container somewhere down the road)

being a chemist... my first guess would be nitrile/rubber gloves. The brand we use are really cheap and tend to rip leading me to find many pieces of my gloves in everything i "cook".

Dude, it was mold.

And fwiw, HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) is super fragile and can't survive more than a few seconds outside the human body let alone for weeks in a can of crappy beer.

Your letting your imagination get the best of you. Try not to worry so much.

being a chemist... my first guess would be nitrile/rubber gloves. The brand we use are really cheap and tend to rip leading me to find many pieces of my gloves in everything i "cook".

I haven't though about that quite possible, Is there any danger consuming beer with a piezze of gloves in it
infection, illness etc... ?

Another vote for dried out mold. I'm guessing the can was laying on it's side during storage (aka in a bag)? That'd explain why it's so long and thin instead of a round silver dollar patch.

The beers likely fine and wasn't what made you sick a year ago.

If the mold was in the can before you drank it, you would have noticed it while drinking it! You left a can of beer (a style that is very yeasty at that!) out for several days, it grew mold. This is life, literally. Stop freaking out. Drink your beer, clean your house, you won't get the HIV or wind up pregnant.

Back