I found small bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatanPrinceOfDarkness

Reaction score
I've tried googling around a lot for bottles smaller than 12oz. I've never found an easy way to get them. I want them for bottling super high ABV beers and mead.

I finally discovered that they are available, at my LOCAL GROCERY STORE!

First of all, right now both Coke and Sprite have 8oz bottles. These are apparently available at Sam's club too.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/coca-cola-8-oz-bottles-24-pk/168984.ip

Second of all, if the latin section of our supermarket, there are 4 kinds of Malta, malt soda, all in 7 oz bottles.

http://www.target.com/p/goya-non-alcoholic-malt-beverage-7-oz-6-pk/-/A-14756746

$3 at target for the Malta. So it's a relatively small investment, especially if you like the soda.

Those malta bottles look like they are screw caps, this COULD be an issue.
I have in the past capped a bottle that was screw capped and had no issue, but i go through beer really quickly.

Champagne splits are also 7.5 oz I think and usually come in pry tops. Little more expensive but probably a better quality bottle

The Hispanic guys at the plant used to have those Malta Goya bottles in their lunches. I'm pretty sure they're twisties from what I remember seeing. Nice color & shape for big beers, though. I often wished I could still get Little Kings in those small pop tops, even though they are green...

may i ask what person drinks an 8oz beer?

GIRLIE MEN :fro:

In all seriousness, if I make a big beer, I'm still going to put it in a 12 ounce bottle.
Handing someone a 8 ounce bottle seems .. wrong, or cheap.

"Here is a 12 ounce bottle, drink as much as you like."

Duvel & some others bottle in smaller ones. Those would be great if the stuff wasn't so darn expensive around here. I wanna get the #1 Burton strong ale going the first week of the month for the holidays. Small bottles that hold a nice glass full might be cool. But I've got so many 12 ouncers, I'll likely wind up using those...

My German bottles are 11.2oz, but I keep thinking the Duvel's in the 4 pack were smaller? I know Chimay has smaller bottles after seeing them in Michael Jackson's videos. Just haven't found'em myself yet...

hell you can get 8oz pours at plenty of beer bars in Philly. No need to drink a 12oz 120 minute for instance.

Ooh, which ones. I'll be back in Philly this christmas. Hit Victory ,Yards, Teresa's, made the trip down to Dogfish, Springhouse, earth bread, and a few others, though I'd have to walk downstairs and look at the growler collection to find out which ones. I need to start making a list for this year so I can optimize my path.

Oh yeah, Monk's Cafe was in there too.

Ooh, which ones. I'll be back in Philly this christmas. Hit Victory ,Yards, Teresa's, made the trip down to Dogfish, Springhouse, earth bread, and a few others, though I'd have to walk downstairs and look at the growler collection to find out which ones. I need to start making a list for this year so I can optimize my path.

You'll occasionally find them at Monk's, Euology, Johnny Brenda's, Kraftwerk, Sidecar, Memphis, Standard Tap...maybe Barcade. You probably see them more often during special events of course.

oh and I can think of a couple breweries that do small pours on single beers, which is different than I meant before - Tired Hands and Conshohocken. There's probably others that I'm not aware of.

Awesome, thanks for the list! I tend to gravitate towards high ABV stuff and I like small pours of those so I can have a few and still be good to walk around.

may i ask what person drinks an 8oz beer?

We called them Nibs as kids. We would get an 8 pack Bud before heading off to which ever rock concert was in town. Ah the good old days, before I new what really good beer tasted like.

Back in the day, some brands of soda came in small glass bottles. Coke and 7up come to mind. They used crown caps, which is a plus. Check Craigslist, as people often sell those as "collectibles." Sometimes those junky little antique stores have stuff like that.

We called them Nibs as kids. We would get an 8 pack Bud before heading off to which ever rock concert was in town. Ah the good old days, before I new what really good beer tasted like.
We used to call them "nips." The girls liked them because they could finish one while it was still relatively cold. There are still small soda bottles out there with crown caps. I have a bottle of Mexican coke.... Mexican Coca Cola in my fridge.

My German bottles are 11.2oz, but I keep thinking the Duvel's in the 4 pack were smaller? I know Chimay has smaller bottles after seeing them in Michael Jackson's videos. Just haven't found'em myself yet...

Wrong again. Chimay bottles are also .11.2 oz. They do not sell anything smaller.

I do most of my beers in 32 oz bottles. I guess if I wanted to bottle bigger beers in smaller bottles, I could knock the bottle size down to 16 oz, but I don't really see myself doing that. To each their own though.

I just ordered a case of 7oz / 187s from Midwest. I'm putting an amber ale in them and giving them away when my new baby arrives (due Aug 5), so the idea is a baby beer to celebrate the baby.

Wrong again. Chimay bottles are also .11.2 oz. They do not sell anything smaller.

OK, I found the video where he drinks Chimay from smaller bottles @ 3:58. Your opinion on size? I may likely have miss-remembered?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I found the video where he drinks Chimay from smaller bottles @ 3:58. Your opinion on size? I may likely have miss-remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWDVbuK9kU

The shape of the bottle is decieiving, but they are 33 cl bottles ( which is just under 11.2 oz) Look at when he pours iit into the glass, just how much it fills the chalice. Here is a pic of a 12 oz pour in the same glass the guy in the video is using.

I have been drinking Chimay for close to 30 years and am very familiar with their bottles. Back in the early 90's when it was harder to find in the US my wife used to bring it home for me when she went on business trips to Europe.

image.jpg

Little Kings Cream Ale come in a little bottle. We used to smash cases of those way back when!

Man, that was my first thought! I started drinking that around 16....err, uh...I meant...21!!

:)

(Back in the day we'd order a pizza and a case of Little Kings from the pizza shop. When the delivery guy would come we would run the shower and told him dad was in the shower and here's your money dad left to give you. Ahhh, the good old days!).

The last time I saw lil killers, they were twisties. Why oh why do they do that? I mean, especially these days, what with 1.2 million of us in the US & counting, you'd think they'd get the idea? I gotta talk to my son, the Giant Eagle frozen lead to talk to his buddy the beer cooler lead to see if Schoenling still makes/ships lil killers? Just googled it, & Hudepohl bought it out or they merged into Hudepohl-Schoenling? Here's a link to their site I just found. Kinda cool; http://www.littlekingsbeer.com/main.html
* Their site shows it's distributed by Heidelberg distributing company in Columbus, Dayton, Independence, Lorain (!), Perrysburg, Youngstown, & Ohio Valley Wine & Beer Company in Evansdale.

Back