I forgot to put water in the airlock during secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianjay

Reaction score
DUH! This is my third batch, its a Blonde Ale from a BrewCanada kit. I transfered the beer from the primary fermentation bucket to the secondary fermentation carboy after 5 days. I placed it in a warm, dark closet for 7 days and just checked for activity in the airlock, when I notice I neglected to put water in the airlock! I immediately added water but have no idea if I've ruined the batch. Please help oh wise brewers.

This forum isn't going to be able to answer the question definitively. Taste it before you bottle to make sure it's not infected so you don't potentially waste a bunch of time bottling bad beer.

You're more than likely okay. I don't have a link for it, but I know Revvy wrote a post somewhere making some valid points about how possible contaminants aren't bacteriological ninjas that are going to be able to make their way through the airlock. There's diagrams and everything but I wouldn't worry too much about it, but as always don't make any final judgements til the beer has been bottled and fully conditioned. Welcome to the forum btw.

My money says it's fine. The airlock likely prevented any of those pesky bacteriological ninjas from rappelling into it and unless you ferment in a very unsanitary room (see restroom at Yankee Stadium on game night) there probably weren't any flying bacteriological ninjas either. Be careful with tasting before bottling too, you might end up searching your tastebuds for infection and finding one that isn't there. RDWHAHB.

Water? OK, but I've always used Vodka!! Water is a breeding ground for bacteria and wild yeast. If the Vodka gets drawn into the FV, I am OK with that...Infected water, not so much!

To answer your question, you should be OK!

+1 on the Vodka. That's all I use for airlocks. I buy the cheapest nastiest Vodka as possible and us it for "air lock juice."

beerloaf

Yup. I use about a 50/50 of everclear and distilled water. A vigorous fermentation makes quick work of straight grain alcohol.

DUH! This is my third batch, its a Blonde Ale from a BrewCanada kit. I transfered the beer from the primary fermentation bucket to the secondary fermentation carboy after 5 days. I placed it in a warm, dark closet for 7 days and just checked for activity in the airlock, when I notice I neglected to put water in the airlock! I immediately added water but have no idea if I've ruined the batch. Please help oh wise brewers.

The obligatory "It's ruined. Let me handle the disposal for you.".

+1 to starsan in the airlock. Much cheaper than vodka and it doesn't evaporate as quickly

The thing to remember is, even with a dry airlock is that the bad stuff are not ninja acrobats....whether it is a 3 piece or an s type, they would have to get through the cap at the top, then either negotiate a series of twist and turns through an S shaped "track" OR have to dive down, then climb up the center post under the plastic bubbler, then lift said bubbler up enough to the make it into the center post and dive into your fermenter....and STILL have to negotiate the rising co2 current pushing out of the fermenter itself....Think about it...Even without water in there, do you think a piece of dust can make this journey?

stype.jpg

3piece.jpg

Needless to say a piece of dust ain't gonna make it. And not much else either. Relax ;)

Water? OK, but I've always used Vodka!! Water is a breeding ground for bacteria and wild yeast. If the Vodka gets drawn into the FV, I am OK with that...Infected water, not so much!

To answer your question, you should be OK!

I used to use cheap vodka... then I realized it hurt too much to pour it down the drain and felt compelled to "throw it back". Now I am back to Grey Goose (with a hint of yeasty flavor ;) )

Yeah, don't really need to use liquid in the airlock. But, having a liquid gives you entertainment. Watching the bubbles. Starsan takes it one step further. It allows you to watch the bubbles and these bubbles make foam! Good times.

I love the Vodka Idea, never thought of that and will from now on. thanks what about rubbing alcohol

The thing to remember is, even with a dry airlock is that the bad stuff are not ninja acrobats....whether it is a 3 piece or an s type, they would have to get through the cap at the top, then either negotiate a series of twist and turns through an S shaped "track" OR have to dive down, then climb up the center post under the plastic bubbler, then lift said bubbler up enough to the make it into the center post and dive into your fermenter....and STILL have to negotiate the rising co2 current pushing out of the fermenter itself....Think about it...Even without water in there, do you think a piece of dust can make this journey?

Needless to say a piece of dust ain't gonna make it. And not much else either. Relax ;)

Everyone knows that bacteria can only travel in straight lines.

I have had my airlock fall off and the beer still turned out great.

I used to use cheap vodka... then I realized it hurt too much to pour it down the drain and felt compelled to "throw it back". Now I am back to Grey Goose (with a hint of yeasty flavor ;) )

Well...the vodka isn't going to be soiled after one 3 week airlock usage! Might aswell reuse it

There's no harm in using alcohol, starsan, iodophor, or other sanitizer in your airlock. However, I've always used plain tap water (after sanitizing the air lock, naturally) and have never had a problem.

The s-airlock display that revy put forth is similar to how pasteur helped disprove spontaneous creation by heating and pulling the glass neck of a bottle full of broth which kept out beasties.

That being said, it is widely accepted that he "got lucky" because spores can still infect the liquid.

THAT being said, I don't think you have much to worry about especially if it is still releasing CO2.

I know at least 2 people who have found fruit flies (very dangerous for infections) in their airlocks (one even found an earwig!):
1) Straight water...scary
2) Starsan...safer...but watch out for P.E.T.A.
3) Vodka = happy fruit flies (and PETA?)...but fruit fly-infused vodka...no thanks!

Has anyone ever had a cold crash suck this liquid in? I believe I've read where extreme change in barometer day-to-day can if you've overfilled the airlock...2 more good reasons for vodka...IMO.

Oh, and I have also read that sometimes beer made during prohibition was fermented in the barn, in barrels covered with burlap...and this doesn't even begin to address what the Belgians do! I'll bet your beer will be fine.

There's no harm in using alcohol, starsan, iodophor, or other sanitizer in your airlock. However, I've always used plain tap water (after sanitizing the air lock, naturally) and have never had a problem.

Plain tap water after sanitizing defeats the purpose. Tap water isn't sanitary.

Use star san or a distilled spirit in the airlock. Tap water works, but it's potentially full of bacteria. And no, sanitizing something, then rinsing or filling it with bacteria laden anything doesn't keep it free from bacteria.

Also, I'm very interested on this straight line bacteria theory... very interested. :D

As long as you are pitching a proper amount of yeast and you aren't brewing/fermenting regular beer in the vicinity of previous batches using alcohol tolerant bacteria you have very little to worry about. I've brewed over 50 batches now, some with questionable sanitation practices and have yet to infect a fermentation with anything noticeable but yeast. Now I'm not suggesting you go work in your garden and then stir chilled wort with your bare hands but I remain skeptical that things like tap water in your airlock are so heinous. Better safe than sorry though I guess. I just thought I'd offer my perspective.

I like to err on the side of caution. Sanitation is key, and you'd be amazed at the number of home brews, and even commercial beers have a low level of infection. I'm saying this as a person studying to be a BJCP judge, I've tasted quite a few in my short time judging beer and taking classes. Even small infections develop over time, both in an individual beer and in ones equipment if sanitation isn't up to par. Not saying you can't get away with it Phelan, but I wouldn't go around advocating for less than proper sanitation.

As I top off with cold tap water (and once again, have never had a problem traceable to this), I don't worry too much about the contents of the airlock - which, in general, never comes into contact with my beer.

Back