I forgot to aerate my wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhb69

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast ~24 hours ago (no bubbles yet) and just now realized that I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching. Would I ruin it if I aerated it now?

thanks for help!

Did you splash the wort at all when you filled the fermenter? If so you should be good to go.

Yep, it got a bit of a splash going into the fermenter. I also just read that when US-05 is hydrated and then used to make starter on a stir plate (which is what I do), you don't have to worry about aerating the wort. That doesn't sound quite right to me, but I'll just wait and see this time. I don't want to muck around too much and mess it up even more!

Aeration is to get oxygen into the wort to encourage the yeast to propagate by giving them the oxygen with which to make sterols necessary to cell wall creation. You need that if you pitch too little yeast for your batch. Dry yeast (US-05) already has sufficient cells for a 1.050 five gallon batch and your wort needs no aeration.

Yep, it got a bit of a splash going into the fermenter. I also just read that when US-05 is hydrated and then used to make starter on a stir plate (which is what I do), you don't have to worry about aerating the wort. That doesn't sound quite right to me, but I'll just wait and see this time. I don't want to muck around too much and mess it up even more!

When you pitch dry yeast that has been rehydrated, and the OG of the beer is less than about 1.058, aeration is not always needed. When you make a starter with rehydrated dry yeast, aeration is needed. A starter made with rehydrated dry yeast is basically the same as a package or vial of liquid yeast.

Have a pack of US-05 on hand if fermentation doesn't start in about 72 hours. The amount of time will depend on the temperature you are holding the wort at.

When you pitch dry yeast that has been rehydrated, and the OG of the beer is less than about 1.058, aeration is not always needed. When you make a starter with rehydrated dry yeast, aeration is needed. A starter made with rehydrated dry yeast is basically the same as a package or vial of liquid yeast.

OK, that's good to know. I clearly need to learn more about yeast! BTW, I have a 10gallon batch (thus the reason for making a starter in the first place)

Have a pack of US-05 on hand if fermentation doesn't start in about 72 hours. The amount of time will depend on the temperature you are holding the wort at.

Yep, good advice. Will do. Cheers.

Back