I forgot the Carapils/Carafoam for the DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
Basically the recipe is:

3.5 gallon in fermenter

10 lb 2 row
.8 lb Honey malt
.7 lb Crystal
5 oz corn sugar

Loads of hops

Is it going to matter if I don't put .3lb of carapils in there? My understanding is that it's just for head retention?

That's a lot of sweet malts for a double IPA. It's probably a good thing you left out the Carafoam - while it's not sweet, it increases mouthfeel, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in a IIPA.

No it doesn't matter. Actually in my opinion it's good that you didn't add it. It would only add to your FG which you are trying to get as low as you can with a high gravity DIPA like that. I probably would have cut the Honey and Crystal down as well.

You'll still make beer. You'll lose a few gravity points, but mostly unfermentable dextrins. DIPAs typically throw little head anyway, you'll be fine.

Wait. Strike that. It will be awful. Ferment it, bottle it and send it to me for disposal. ;)

Okay got it.

I want it to have the sweetness. Basically trying to clone the Great Lakes Chillwave.

It's going to have nugget, mosaic and cascade. I know there is a good amount of sweetness. I've done this before with extract not shooting for the DIPA. Now I'm going to go for the DIPA.

Going to mash around 150-152 to keep it dry.

Thanks for the input!

Just from experience - drop that mash down to 145. You can't get it too dry.

Well if I hit efficiency at 70% (BIAB) which I was hoping by adding an extra gallon to the boil/mash; I may be at over 10%abv if I mash that low. Maybe I will do that.

That's why I'm only doing a 3 gallon batch instead of 5 because I won't need that much with such a high abv.

Back