i forgot about beer in a keg. it changed colors and smells amazing...what gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a saison about 10 months ago. All grain. I messed up my mash and fermented to 1.002. It was 10%abv but only hopped to be about 7. It was too hot in the mouth. I forgot about it until yesterday. It went from straw yellow to stout dark. It smells amazing. I didn't taste it. I put it into a carboy, looking for advice. Lhbs says it probably oxygenated. But all might not be lost...they claim in high gravity beer, it can soften some heat. They recommend pitching champagne yeast and bottle it. Anyone have experience similar to this? Explanations?

Oops. It was kegged, and forgotten about. No whoosh from bleed off valve. No funky stuff in it.

You racked it to a carboy and did not taste it? Saisons can age out nicely so you really should taste it. Give it a taste and bottle it up.

Saisons are meant to finish low. 1.002 is a good finish. Nice and dry.

Back