I finally finished my new ebiab!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccbadd

Reaction score
I copied things from several threads on here so thanks to everyone that contributes. I have done a few tests to calibrate the PID and do an autotune. The test run with water only stayed within 2 degrees F. Tomorrow will be the first test brew. I still plan to add an articulating arm to fix the controller to the HF cart.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Do you have pics of the build? And more detailed pics? And simply more details about your build. Looks great. Let us know how the brew day went.

Do you have pics of the build? And more detailed pics? And simply more details about your build. Looks great. Let us know how the brew day went.

Sorry, but I did not document my build as I tried a lot of different things before throwing it all together one weekend. I'll come back later and list the parts I actually used and give more feedback on what I learn.

thats a pretty sweet and simple build. yea pictures and further explanation would be appreciated! I love it because its also portable. Nice for brewing at a friends place, clubs, or in other countries. Just sweet. Ya gotta love the drawer in there for all your small brewing paraphernalia.

Here is a basic list of the major items:
BC 44Qt SS Pot with basket
5500W Canco Ripple Element
2" TC Element Guard from StillDragon
Auber 2362 PID
Sestos Timer B2E-2R-220 from Amazon
SS Chugger Pump
Dubadiesel B3 36A Heat Exchanger
25a SSR from Amazon (will be replaced with 40a SSR)
Panel Lights and Switches from Auber
Pachard C240B 2 Pole 40a Contactor
Rolling Cart from Harbor Freight
Twistlock Plugs from Amazon

I did a test run today with a few observations.
1. Priming the pump before heating any water made it easy. I still think I will add a Tee and valve on the outlet of the pump for priming.
2. I overshot the starting temperature by 5 degrees this time, hopefully this will improve over time. Also, it takes a long time for the temperature to drop. I plan on setting the mash temp 5 degrees low next time and then bump it up after I reach the setpoint.
3. The two position switches from Aubor operates differently than I thought. I order them with 2 NO contacts each expecting each position to switch based on position. In the left position I expected the left contact to make and the right one to be open and the opposite with the switch in the right position. As it turns out, they both operate the same. Both off in the left position and both on in the right position. I have order two new NC contacts so my red LEDs will work properly.
4. None of the LEDs, lights and those on the PID and timer are very visible in the sun light.
5. I need to add a switch to silence the alarm buzzer, it can get annoying!
6. I am not sure how to handle the recirculating on the boiling wort to sanitize the chiller. The return port is on the lid that is not needed during this phase. I just sat the lid on the top at a slight offset but I am not really comfortable with this as I am risking spilling boiling wort.

Back