I figured out the co2 leak- what to replace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
So I think I've worked it out after several days of eliminating variables.

It's the co2 out ball lock connection. I have a 3 way splitter manifold and I have three co2 out connections. (you know, grey ball lock connection being fed by a red co2 hose). Turns out, it leaks co2. When I pressurize the keg to 12 psi, then turn off the gas and come back an hour later, the co2 has leaked out of the keg. When I used another co2 hose and did the same thing, the co2 was still in there.

What is the piece I need to replace here? Anyone else have this happen? Maybe the spring or gasket is worn out? Ideas?

It sounds like the Quick Disconnect is bad. Probably the poppet is bad, though it's possible the spring has broken/cracked. It's also possible that if you took it apart and reassembled it you forgot the black rubber washer.

It's also possible you have a leak at the connection between the tubing and the QD.

Easiest thing to do is just buy another, then diassemble the old one and find replacement parts for it.

I got a bad gas disconnect that I'd purchased brand new. Not sure if that helps but it's possible the disconnect is at fault. I haven't tried taking mine apart to see if it's fixable.

If the disconnect is leaking gas while it's connected to the keg, the problem has nothing to do with the keg poppet or the disconnect plunger. If you removed both of those items the disconnect should still make a gas-tight seal to the post.

Three possibilities are left:
- the post o-ring is damaged
- the threaded cap atop the disconnect body is loose or missing the delrin gasket
- cracked disconnect body

Cheers!

Back