I feel like I won the lottery - I won 2 Westy 12s!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
c0NXdNf.jpg

Our local Brass Tap was having an event where some money was going to charity when you bought certain beers and they were raffling off Westy 12 for charity too. I assumed they meant they had 1 Westy 12 to auction off, but they had at least a dozen. They were drawing a raffle ticket every 30 minutes or so and I won one on the very first pull after getting there. And then I won again on the 3rd drawing after we got there. I didn't even see too many people paying attention during the drawings, so I imagine not many of the kids in this college bar wanted to spend $20 for raffle tickets. So I bet my odds were pretty high. As the night went on, I could tell more people bought tickets, so even though we stayed for at least 12 drawings, I didn't win anymore.

The thing is, I already know I don't like it. I had a sample at a bottle share already. My gf says she wants to drink them but I want to trade them for something I'll enjoy more. Hopefully she'll let me trade at least one.

Anyone know why my bottles have no markings on the bottles but the ones in the picture in the article I just linked to have the name on the bottle?

Honestly I would, but my gf is being more possessive. Guess her parents didn't teach her to share :)

Can't say I blame her. I don't really have access to anything you can't readily find for trading anyway.

congrats . what is special about this beer ?

Its a Belgian Trappist ale, widely ranked among the best beers in the world. Part of the hype is due to its rarity: with a few exceptions it can't be bought in stores, you have to buy it from the Abbey.

Anyone know why my bottles have no markings on the bottles but the ones in the picture in the article I just linked to have the name on the bottle?

I think the "brick" 6 packs that were sold a couple years back had labels, but the ones straight from the Abbey are blank, aside from the label on the cap.

I think the "brick" 6 packs that were sold a couple years back had labels, but the ones straight from the Abbey are blank, aside from the label on the cap.
Ah, thanks.

You should have come last night. I'd say your odds were good, but I did see a few people that bought tickets not get some. I kind of felt bad that I won 2, but we were there a good 7 hours for many of the drawings.

Surprised you haven't heard of it. I don't like Belgian beers, but I know how hard to get it is. Basically you can only get it in Belgium and that's if you are lucky. They sold it once in the US a little over a year ago for $85 for a 6 pack and it was really hard to get.

More info here - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/westvleteren-xii-world-best-beer_n_2292576.html

I will have to murder my taste buds if they develop a hankering for 85 buck a pack beer

Back