I fear I've ruined it..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George7

Reaction score
I decided to bottle my Woodfordes Wherry in the early hours (so I wouldn't be dominating the kitchen all day), and I've pretty much just finished, however, I noticed in the very late stages of bottling that I'd made quite a major cock-up. The instructions said half a teaspoon per pint, which I believe is 2.5g, and I somehow misread this and put a teaspoon per pint (5g) instead. I'm now extremely paranoid about bottle bombs, and the beer coming out terribly. Could that extra 2.5g per pint make that much difference? If the only effect is extra carbonation, I'm not too bothered (but still incredibly annoyed at myself) as I like a vigorously carbonated beer, but I fear the consequences may be worse. Unfortunately once I'd realised my mistake, all of my bottles were filled and capped.

Just for info, they're bottled in a large range of bottles, pretty much all ale ones, some fairly heavy duty, some more mainstream, and less heavy duty, but all decent quality bottles.

Rubbermaid containers.

If you bottled anything in swing-tops crack em after a day or two and reseal.

I've basically wrapped them heavily in bin bags, and they're also in groups in smallish boxes, plus covered with a duvet, so if any of them decide the pressure is too much, it shouldn't ruin the carpet. I've done about 5 swing-tops, so I'll do the remove and reseal suggested in a couple of days time. Has the possibility of bottle bombs multiplied that much with the addition of the extra sugar that it's become an inevitability?

So you used about 200g of table sugar for a 5 gallon batch? Assuming you fermented in the 60s, you should be looking at under 4 volumes of CO2. Borderline, but probably not going to explode, IMO.

Yeah, pretty much 200g of caster sugar into 5 gallons. It was fermented at 68-70 and the bottles are currently in a room at the same temperature. It's good to hear it's not as inevitable as I thought.

Back