I dont want sparkling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
Nine months later and I have sparkling wine...can you help?

Here is what I did:

5 gallons of pressed fresh apple juice (from local orchard)
6 pounds of sugar
7.5 tsp pectin acid
2.5 tsp pectin enzyme
1.25 tsp tannin
5 tsp nutrient
5 campden tablets (crushed)
1 pkg of yeast

December 9, 2011: added everything except yeast
December 10 2011: added yeast (1.090)
December 12 and 13: stirred
December 17, 2011: Gravity at 1.006 - racked to carboy
December 20, 2011: gravity at .992
February 26, 2012: Racked to carboy
Sat in carboy until today
September 26, 2012 (Today): I went to stabilize so I could sweeten and then bottle in a few weeks and noticed that it is still very fizzy. The wine is clear...can easily see through it, but you can only stir it five or six times before the fizz will come out of the carboy.

I would like to have a medium to medium dry apple wine...but not fizzy. Any thoughts on what I could do?

Thanks

Derrick123 said:
Nine months later and I have sparkling wine...can you help?

Here is what I did:

5 gallons of pressed fresh apple juice (from local orchard)
6 pounds of sugar
7.5 tsp pectin acid
2.5 tsp pectin enzyme
1.25 tsp tannin
5 tsp nutrient
5 campden tablets (crushed)
1 pkg of yeast

December 9, 2011: added everything except yeast
December 10 2011: added yeast (1.090)
December 12 and 13: stirred
December 17, 2011: Gravity at 1.006 - racked to carboy
December 20, 2011: gravity at .992
February 26, 2012: Racked to carboy
Sat in carboy until today
September 26, 2012 (Today): I went to stabilize so I could sweeten and then bottle in a few weeks and noticed that it is still very fizzy. The wine is clear...can easily see through it, but you can only stir it five or six times before the fizz will come out of the carboy.

I would like to have a medium to medium dry apple wine...but not fizzy. Any thoughts on what I could do?

Thanks

You have CO2 still dissolved in your wine. Stir for a few minutes and it will release the gas.

Rack into a bucket to perform this task.

You have CO2 still dissolved in your wine. Stir for a few minutes and it will release the gas.

Rack into a bucket to perform this task.

I'd degas it in a carboy, to avoid oxygen getting in while you're degassing. Stir vigorously with a long handled sanitized spoon. If you don't have a spoon that will fit, you can use a dowel, or anything like that that can be sanitized. Homebrew stores sell degassing tools that fit in your electric drill, which is very labor saving!

I'd try to get it pretty warm- as high as 78 degrees or so if you can. Warmer wine releases co2 better.

You can add some sulfite to the wine, to help prevent oxidation, when you degas. 1 campden tablet crushed and dissolved per gallon of wine.

After degassing, let it sit for a while. Then stabilize with the sorbate.

The drill trick is the way to go. If you're a cheap bastard like me, you can cut up a plastic clothes hanger and stick it in your drill to make your own "wine whip" for free.

Thanks for the responses.

I already added sorbate and meta ...this is when I noticed the fizz.

I have been stirring (with a stirring spoon) for a few minutes at a time every 30 minutes or so. Do I keep this up until I get no more fizz or will the co2 now leave on its own? How long do you think this will take?

Thanks again

Thanks for the responses.

I already added sorbate and meta ...this is when I noticed the fizz.

I have been stirring (with a stirring spoon) for a few minutes at a time every 30 minutes or so. Do I keep this up until I get no more fizz or will the co2 now leave on its own? How long do you think this will take?

Thanks again

It could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 days, depending on how fizzy it is and what the temperature is currently. You want to make sure you have no more fizz so maybe airlock it tonight when you get tired, and check it tomorrow.

It goes much easier and faster when the wine is warm, so if you can warm it up a bit it'd be more efficient.

Hi,

Ok...great. I will call it a night and check the temp tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back