I don't like primary fermenting in buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowthere

Reaction score
So I've done 2, 6 gallon kits thus far and I already see the need to replace by 7.9 gallon bucket that I'm using for primary. I see scratches at the bottom from stirring the concentrate with water, and recently I see a discolored spot at the bottom, which does not sit well with me at all. No infections or off flavors yet. These buckets don't seem to have a long life. It's really annoying, because, it's about $30 including the lid.

Other than demi-johns and conicals, what do you guys use for primary?

I'm actually tempted to use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and use fermcap-S. At over $100 a kit, that seems like a big risk though and probably stupid.

I think you're just being too hard on the bucket. I use a drill mounted degasser to stir and degass, zero scratches.

Have you soaked it with straight-A cleanser? that stuff has removed stains on my racking tubing.

There's better bottles...but I think they only go to 6.5gal which isn't really enough space, and I too wouldn't wanna 'risk' the fermcap on a nicer wine kit. I've used it on beer, but never wine or mead.

I use buckets mostly, and I still have some of my original buckets. With some oxyclean, and cleaning right away, I don't have any stains. There are a few scratches, but not many and I clean and sanitize well.

I have about a dozen or more carboys but I use them mostly for wine. Buckets are light, easy to clean, have lots of headspace, etc.

However, if you don't like buckets, then carboys are great. They clean up well, they are durable, and they last forever if you don't drop them.

I have many plastic primaries and try to use only wooden spoons to stir anything inside of them. If I get off colors from a dark beer staining my primary, I soak it overnight with either easyclean or a small amount of bleach. It typically cleans right up. I always clean out my primary containers as soon as are emptied out.

Carboys are great if you use a blow off tube instead of an airlock.

Salute! :mug:

I think you're just being too hard on the bucket. I use a drill mounted degasser to stir and degass, zero scratches.

Have you soaked it with straight-A cleanser? that stuff has removed stains on my racking tubing.

There's better bottles...but I think they only go to 6.5gal which isn't really enough space, and I too wouldn't wanna 'risk' the fermcap on a nicer wine kit. I've used it on beer, but never wine or mead.

Thanks for the advice. I've soaked it in PBW for a day after each use. It didn't seem to work out. I have a degasser, which I'll use next time. I don't know why I used the metal spoon in the first place.

In general I just don't like the idea of disposal fermenters. Eventually I'll need to replace a bucket. Maybe it will last 10 batches, maybe more, but eventually I'll need to replace it. I love better bottles for beer, I wish there was an equivalent for 6 gallon batches. I've used fermcap in beer without fear, but it just seems like a bad idea for wine, but I don't have a strong basis for that, just a feeling.

I think you are worried for nothing.

Hundreds or thousands of us use buckets with no ill effects.

Keep 'em clean and sterilize before use and you will be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I've soaked it in PBW for a day after each use. It didn't seem to work out. I have a degasser, which I'll use next time. I don't know why I used the metal spoon in the first place.

In general I just don't like the idea of disposal fermenters. Eventually I'll need to replace a bucket. Maybe it will last 10 batches, maybe more, but eventually I'll need to replace it. I love better bottles for beer, I wish there was an equivalent for 6 gallon batches. I've used fermcap in beer without fear, but it just seems like a bad idea for wine, but I don't have a strong basis for that, just a feeling.

I hate to break this to you but, Better Bottle are plastic too. Just like a bucket, eventually you will have to replace them. I prefer the ease in cleaning of buckets and the ability to use a liner.

If yo uare doing mostly 5 gal batches then 6.5 carboys are great as a primary. They provide enough head space so there is no need for a blow off tube (I have never needed one). They are heavy, I suggest using milk crates to lug them around. Glass carboys vs Better Bottles: It Better Bottles had cheaper ($) hardware I would go with those over a bucket. Its funny how people will say Better Bottles are cheaper than carboys. You have to factor in the price of the hardware needed for Better Bottles, it comes out a little more expensive than a class carboy.
I have been toying with the idea of trying buckets just because they are lighter, I'm not sold on it yet. It interesting how a herniated disc will change one's brewing habits.

I hate to break this to you but, Better Bottle are plastic too. Just like a bucket, eventually you will have to replace them. I prefer the ease in cleaning of buckets and the ability to use a liner.

I hate to break it to you, but the word on the streets is that there are a lot of different kinds of plastics.... NB's description of better bottles "plastic carboy made from a clear, stain-resistant, non-porous PET plastic that is impermeable to oxygen. Light and virtually unbreakable." NBs description of buckets just says that it's food grade, and that's it.

My biggest complaint of buckets is the porous aspect. I just don't feel like I can keep them as clean as my BBs.

If yo uare doing mostly 5 gal batches then 6.5 carboys are great as a primary. They provide enough head space so there is no need for a blow off tube (I have never needed one). They are heavy, I suggest using milk crates to lug them around. Glass carboys vs Better Bottles: It Better Bottles had cheaper ($) hardware I would go with those over a bucket. Its funny how people will say Better Bottles are cheaper than carboys. You have to factor in the price of the hardware needed for Better Bottles, it comes out a little more expensive than a class carboy.
I have been toying with the idea of trying buckets just because they are lighter, I'm not sold on it yet. It interesting how a herniated disc will change one's brewing habits.

I use the non ported version of the better bottle, so my hardware consists of an air lock and a bung at around $2-3. I, like you, wish the ported version made more sense financially. $30 for a port attachment is just crazy, although it would be really nice not to have to syphon anymore. I also wish they made bigger sizes than 6 gallons too.

Sorry to hear about your back. I get nervous just looking at my glass carboys. They are way too heavy too.

I'm still using my original Ale Pail from 2002. Yeah, it's discolored by now but it still ferments a pilsner as well as a porter and there are no scratches on the interior. I don't think I've ever actually stirred in the bucket though and a paper towel is the harshest thing I'll clean with but usually I'll use some old (unused for their intended purpose) cloth diapers to clean the bucket. Bleach takes care of the greater discolorations. I do that a couple times per year and otherwise use OxyClean to clean and iodine to sanitize. I've had one infection in that particular bucket and bleaching it took care of the infection.

That being said, a glass carboy is a very viable option. They have their own disadvantages but they'll do the job just fine. It's your brewery. Do what makes you happy.

Latest posts

Back