I don't know what I made...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

TheParent

Reaction score
Soooo, I threw some stuff in a jar and it fermented. But I do not really know what I made, more specifically: does the following recipe produce alcohol?

On 11-4 I threw roughly 500 grams of ginger in a pot with 350 grams of sugar, filled up the jar to almost the brim, screwed the lid on, gave it a ferm shake until all sugar was dissolved and let it sit for a week, burping the jar every day. IT WENT BONKERS in terms of activity, every day the lid was under pressure and it gave a nice hissss when I burped it.

on 18-4, I transferred the liquid to a new (but identical jar), added 20 raspberries, topped up wit a bit of water to reduce headroom and put on the lid again. result during the days: more active fermentation, more burping, some foam. I forgot to burp one day, and the next day I definitely smelled alcohol when I burped. I think...

now, april 27th, I've transferred the (nicely tasting!) ginger raspberry drink to bottels. I drank a bit, and I liked it, I think it tastes boozy, but I'm not sure at all.

So, who can explain to me what I made? Is there alcohol in there? And if so, can anyone make a blind guess how much? (70% sugar in the initial mix...).

(Also, to clarify: normally I do readings, write the process in my fermentation notes etc. but this one I just threw together on a whim, hence my confusion...)

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guessing wild yeast on the ginger fermented the sugar. As to what it is, raspberry ginger beer maybe? I mean to make alcoholic ginger beer it's basically ginger, water, yeast and some lemon juice. The wild yeast could cause it to turn funky eventually, but you never know.

OP
OP
T

TheParent

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking (and hoping haha) that. I decided to reopen a bottle and the ABV is 1.024. So there's still plenty sugar in there. Bottling was a bad idea, assuming fermentation will continue in the bottle... Now what?

edit: so according to this calculator my brix (percentage of dissolved sugar) is 70 and my current abv is 1,024 making this drink 48,4%!?

Last edited: