I do believe that I can ferment water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Having had much success with various ciders, and a successful start to a batch of Skeeter Pee, I want to try something a little different. I've been thinking of a 3 gallon batch of sugar water with a OG of 1.070, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, a starter mix of EC-1118, and let it ferment to 1.020. Then add cherry flavoring and let it carb up a bit. Hopefully I will get a "cherry soda" with an ABV of about 5-7% range. :mug:

I did something like this with a TON of grated ginger. It was a bit gingery but mainly was like fire water. You'll want something really strongly flavoured to make all that harsh alcohol palatable. I was surprised at how much you needed to add to get over the taste of fire water. I also found my version to be fairly one-dimensional and frankly bland. You might think of getting something in there for some depth; maybe a vanilla bean would go nicely?

I would worry a little about trying to carb from 1.020. Are you planning on pasteurizing?

Hey Mike, That is how I make my Skeeter Pee. I don't add the lemon/lime juice until after the sugar water has fermented to < 1.040. Ten days later I have Skeeter Pee at .992, stabilize, backsweeten, and bottle.

I know this is an old thread. Have you done it? If not and you still plan to I would use a cherry concentrate (like Old Orchard's frozen Cherry Pom) instead of some artificial syrup.

Also, what is 585/585EZ?

I know this is an old thread. Have you done it? If not and you still plan to I would use a cherry concentrate (like Old Orchard's frozen Cherry Pom) instead of some artificial syrup.

Haven't tried it yet, lots of other things going on right now, and low on carboy space for the moment. But i do like your idea of using concentrate.

Also, what is 585/585EZ?

Woodchuck has a batch they call 802. This is in reference to the area code for the entire state of Vermont, 802.

The Five Eight Five is a batch of pressed apple cider from my area code, 585. I added yeast, sugar, and yeast nutrient, and let it go. Starting gravity was 1.060.

The 585EZ (easy) is also made from the same local pressed apple cider, but I added nothing, just dumped it in a carboy, put an airlock on it, and let natural yeast take it over. Starting gravity was 1.054.

I have not tried either batch yet, just going to let them age for a few months.

I'm very curious to see how this comes out! I can tell you from experience that straight sugar washes smell HORRID. The simple sugar wash was my first ever ferment, and I used it to teach myself the basics of distilling. The wash was rotgut, the distillate was rotgut (though not as bad when I got the hang of making my cuts), and the leftover dunder made me gag. Did it 3 times before I got fed up with it and made something with a decent flavor. I never dared to drink the wash before I dumped it in the still, but it didn't exactly have "neutral" smelling notes to it. I also used 1118+yeast energizer and nutrient+citric acid.

On a side note that I just realized however, I never bothered to clear the wash. Maybe that would make a difference? Either way, I'm pretty curious about this little project.

i have some going now, i regret even starting it after reading all the fun replies lol. started it at 1.070 its slow going, i used kv1116 since i didnt have any 1118 on hand.

its pretty neutral, it had a bit of a stink the other day so i hit it with some energizer and the spoon and its better now.

i will be following a different recipe for a cooler type thing for my wife next time but since i have this going i will let it keep going and see how it turns out.

edit: my temps are running between 64 and 68 for this ferment its been a week and gone from 1.070 to 1.050, i'm afraid i'm going to stall it out i may need to keep the temp closer to 68

Keep it at 68 or higher and whip it with a wire whisk or drill powered wine degassing tool until the gravity gets to about 1.030. Don't whisk or whip after that or you risk oxidation.

whipped it up, and warmed it up to stay to 68 degrees its down to 1.040 now, tasted a bit, nothing sour or bad just sugar water with a tinge of alcohol.

Interesting project. Generally, adding cherry flavoring to something like this would result in something like cough syrup. You may wish to consider some black cherry juice, or black cherry flavoring.

You are probably lacking some nutrients. Sugar water based brews tend to be short on nitrogen. I suspect you are going to need to add more yeast energizer as time goes on. Another option would be to add a little molasses.

It is very possible to ferment sugar water. Most brewers cringe when someone talks about it, but it really isn't all that bad. I've done it successfully numerous times.

1.Take 3.5 cups of sugar and add to an old milk jug
2.Take 12 cups of boiled water and add to the jug.
3.Boil 1 cup of water with a half of a multivitamin tablet (optional, though yeast doesn't live on sugar alone).
4.Allow both amounts of water to cool to about 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
5.Shake sugar water till sugar is dissolved.
6.Add one 1/4 ounce packet of active dry yeast to multivitamin water and wait for it to foam.
7.Mix yeast/vitamin water into sugar water.
8.Prick some holes in a balloon and put on top of jug opening (or use an airlock if you have it).
9.Wait about a week, or till the bubbles have almost totally stopped.
10.Sit in fridge until yeast sediment has settled to the bottom (usually about a day), then siphon liquid off the top. Be sure not to suck up the yeast.
11.Add two packets of your favorite Kool-Aid flavor, and enjoy!

What you have created is a Finnish drink known as Kilju. It doesn't keep well, so be sure to chill and drink within a week or two.

Back