I Didn't Just Oxidize My Beer, Right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
I have a pumpkin ale i brewed 3 1/2 weeks ago. still in primary in 6.5 gal carboy. I went to take sample to check the gravity with my new thief. 1st time using the thief with this size carboy, and the thief doesn't go in far enough to fill high enough for hydrometer. so i used a somewhat "darting" motion a few times into the wort to get the level in the thief high enough. i'm hoping it takes more than that to cause oxidation. am i right, or should i be concerned?

heh heh, dont worry, yesterday i took a sample to check the gravity with a turkey baster and squeezed the ball when the tip was already in the beer. It'll still be fine.

heh heh, dont worry, yesterday i took a sample to check the gravity with a turkey baster and squeezed the ball when the tip was already in the beer. It'll still be fine.

Funny you'd mention that. I just did the exact same thing today getting my FG reading right before I bottled. Oooops.

You caused a 0.00842% oxidation. Your beer is going to be 0.00842% worse than it should have been. Send the bucket immediately to your geographically closest Homebrew Talk member for proper disposal.

I squeeze my "turkey baster ball" all the time. Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Back