I did it! First batch ever, and its AG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omegagodly

Reaction score
I brewed on monday and it went wonderful. I brewed an AG recipe, it being my first AG and first ever batch, the brew day went very very smooth. :ban:

I made my mash tun out of a cooler, with the hardware in the 10 gallon cooler mash tun conversion thread, found that dreaded fender washer easily, lol. Got my father in laws brothers 8 gallon turkey fryer I used for the boil kettle. I did edworts Haus Pale Ale for my first recipe. Followed the recipe exactly, my tun only lost a couple degrees over the hour, and its leak resistant although it took a couple combinations of extra rubber o-ring/washers. Boil went smoothly, the hops smelled great as thats the first i've ever smelled them. :rockin:

Cool down took a little longer than expected, and for that I plan on fashioning myself an immersion cooler. Besides that i took a gravity and I believe it was at around 1.051 as the recipe called for, but it was late and I was impatient so I let it get to pitching temp, pitched the yeast and called it a day. lol. It's bubbling away now in the other room, and I can't wait for bottling day!

Edwort stated that this recipe ferments out fast, i was just going to leave her in the primary for 3 weeks though, as i do not have a secondary and i've read on here from many people that they just leave it in primary and don't get any adverse tastes, and then carb to style and let those babies sit for 3 weeks. Anyone have a difference of opinion?

This reminds me of my first brewday, it also was EdWorts Haus Pale Ale, and all-grain too! enjoy those first few brews, I sure did!!!

thanks everybody. the whole time i was doing it i was thinking of the next batch i wanna brew, which is actually edworts robust porter, and how i NEED an immersion cooler, and i NEED another primary fermenter so i can start brewing again right away!

thanks everybody. the whole time i was doing it i was thinking of the next batch i wanna brew, which is actually edworts robust porter, and how i NEED an immersion cooler, and i NEED another primary fermenter so i can start brewing again right away!

And so it begins.:D

Congrats on having your first brewday go well, especially AG! My first AG brew had horrible efficiency and lots of other stupid mistakes because of the lack of experience with that procedure. Good job on stepping it up early in the game!

Congrats! I just brewed my first AG on Monday as well. Sounds like you had a better go than I did. I am super impressed you went straight to AG. I have been doing kits for about a year, which turned out great, but then I decided to ACTUALY brew beer. I can't imagine going straight to AG though. That is truely impressive me friend.

Welcome to the biggest money pit EVER!!!

That might be a little extreme...

I can think of way bigger money pits:
gaming computers
snow mobiles
project cars

and the biggest ones of all

get married
have kids

And besides, this hobby has the best side effect ever - beer!

Congrats on your first AG/Beer. I think a lot of us cut our teeth on Ed's Haus Ale. I did just a few months ago, and I'm really enjoying the brew!

Cheers! :ban:

I've only been brewing 7 weeks now... and already have brewed 6 beers, 2 5g of apelfwein, a cabernet sauvignon... and now I have 2 AG batches (first ones I will do) ready to go for this weekend. The obsession only gets worse ;) I've bought so much equipment over the past 7 weeks... and there is still a lot I want to buy!

Sad thing Is, Only my first beer is ready to drink (second one should be carbed up this weekend). Once I Can start drinking a couple of these... I will have to slow down as I will have WAY to much beer on hand. But I do plan on giving a lot of it away to close friends/family to try it out because they are really interested in it.

I've only been brewing 7 weeks now... and already have brewed 6 beers, 2 5g of apelfwein, a cabernet sauvignon... and now I have 2 AG batches (first ones I will do) ready to go for this weekend. The obsession only gets worse ;) I've bought so much equipment over the past 7 weeks... and there is still a lot I want to buy!

Sad thing Is, Only my first beer is ready to drink (second one should be carbed up this weekend). Once I Can start drinking a couple of these... I will have to slow down as I will have WAY to much beer on hand. But I do plan on giving a lot of it away to close friends/family to try it out because they are really interested in it.

well i know what you mean about people being interested in it. my brother in law has also been very interested in brewing so he'll be pitching in on the next brew, the robust porter. its a great hobby in my opinion and this website is just so full of such great information and whatnot, i was so excited to finally brew for the first time after reading up on it since last summer. :mug:

Once I Can start drinking a couple of these... I will have to slow down as I will have WAY to much beer on hand.

Is that really possible? Having too much beer on hand?

I will gladly step up to the plate and make the sacrifice by taking any excess beer you may have at any time!:cross:

Great to hear of the successes for all of you!

Happy brewing!

i set up a blow off tube instead of just my airlock just as a precautionary measurement, as it being the first brew, and i switch it over today to the airlock because it seems the blow off isnt needed anymore. i just couldnt help myself but to peak in the fermenter so i did and i got a burst of delicious alcohol/beer smell! it was smelling good. still smelled a little sweetness to it, and no krausen to get in the way or push through the airlock, so thats good.

That might be a little extreme...

I can think of way bigger money pits:
gaming computers
snow mobiles
project cars

and the biggest ones of all

get married
have kids

And besides, this hobby has the best side effect ever - beer!

Congrats on your first AG/Beer. I think a lot of us cut our teeth on Ed's Haus Ale. I did just a few months ago, and I'm really enjoying the brew!

Cheers! :ban:
You wanna talk about money pits.... this is sucking up plenty. Congrats on you AG brew

0002.jpg

Back