I did a bad thing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMBrewer

Reaction score
Eight days ago I brewed a mystery surprise, I used what I had left in grain. If you want I can give the bill.

It had a high starting og of 1.073 it was a 13 gallon batch. I pitched two packets of yeast, after 5 days the grav was only 1.063 so I dumped in more yeast. I figured it could never hurt.

I am guessing I was wrong to do that.

Please tell me you made a starter for the initial pitching and stepped it up significantly. Hell, tell me that you triple-pitched...

Eight days ago I brewed a mystery surprise, I used what I had left in grain. If you want I can give the bill.

It had a high starting og of 1.073 it was a 13 gallon batch. I pitched two packets of yeast, after 5 days the grav was only 1.063 so I dumped in more yeast. I figured it could never hurt.

I am guessing I was wrong to do that.

I don't know. What kind of yeast, and what kind of beer?

If it was down to 1.063, it was fermenting albeit slowly. Did it take off slowly, and drop those points overnight, or was it fermenting all five days? I'm just wondering if it took three days to get going, and was just starting to ferment when you added more yeast.

Adding more yeast shouldn't hurt it, but if fermentation is already going on, it was just a waste of extra yeast.

I have never used a starter. This was my first batch that reacted like this. I will now always use a starter. The brew day wasn't carefully planned like most of mine are. I was board on Sunday and my LHBS was closed so I used what I had.

I think it should help the ferment process. However like you said Im sure it was a waste of yeast.

let it sit for a couple more weeks. give it a slight swirl to rouse if you think the yeast are crapping out on you.

it's only been 5 days. stronger beers often take more time.

after the head is completely full of co2, you can give it a nice swirl/shake to keep those yeast in suspension.

I have never used a starter. This was my first batch that reacted like this. I will now always use a starter. The brew day wasn't carefully planned like most of mine are. I was board on Sunday and my LHBS was closed so I used what I had.

I think it should help the ferment process. However like you said Im sure it was a waste of yeast.

If you used two packages of yeast in a 1.073 13 gallon batch, you grossly underpitched. It'll take some time for it to get going, but once it started it should have been ok. You might have some off-flavors from stressed yeast, but it should still be ok.

Do you want to tell us the recipe now? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

I'm guessing that this was dry yeast? I don't think starters are recommended for dry yeast. One packet pitched directly is plenty for 5 gallons, so two packets isn't really that far off for 13 gallons, though it was a high-gravity brew. What kind of yeast was it?

I'm guessing that this was dry yeast? I don't think starters are recommended for dry yeast. One packet pitched directly is plenty for 5 gallons, so two packets isn't really that far off for 13 gallons, though it was a high-gravity brew. What kind of yeast was it?

Ahhh, good point! I just assumed it was liquid yeast. If it's dry yeast, you barely underpitched. Sorry, I should read more closely. Thanks for pointing that out, monkey.

Ahhh, good point! I just assumed it was liquid yeast. If it's dry yeast, you barely underpitched. Sorry, I should read more closely. Thanks for pointing that out, monkey.

Well, I don't actually know it was dry yeast. :) I was just guessing based on how he phrased it. Hopefully he'll report back. I'm really curious about the ingredients of this "mystery surprise" brew anyway.

Grain Bill...

18.5 lb 2 row pale
2 lb crystal
1 Cera Pils

I used six oz of pellet hops. Highest alpha was 9.6, 1 oz at 60 min and 1 oz at 45 min. My wife threw out the paper I had it written on in my garage.

I would like to add that the health of the yeast is very important. I consider the most important thing to brewing. To go through all that work of brewing only to find yourself with a stuck fermentation is an awful feeling. I have used dry yeast in the past and you can make good beer with them but I prefer the liquid brands. Try and use Mr malty pitching rate calculator next time to make sure you don't under pitch. Starters can be one of the best things you can do for you beer, you can build up the cell count, see if it is viable before you pitch...... Next step that was a lot of fun for me was to make my own stir plate now you really can see the benifit when you pitch.

DSCF0229-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I prefer liquid yeast too. Its just so hard for me to look at $7.95 vs $1.95 and pick up the more expensive liquid, especially for larger batches. But you are completely correct 6 hours worth of labor to make the wort, give it tasty food.

In order to use liquid yeast without spending a fortune, some of the yeast needs to be inoculated into a few sterile small slants containing agar. You can then make starters at will. MoreBeer | Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies sells these ready made tubes for this purpose. If you make a starter a week in advance and step it up to the quantity you need you will have plenty of viable yeast come brewday. This can be repeated many times and so your $6.95 purchase of yeast becomes many starters and really ferments well every time because the yeast are young and ready to work. Yes it is more work and some would not bother with this extra work but I enjoy working up a starter that is very pure and viable and so I get excellent results for my effort and I enjoy the beer just as much. It's a hobby and I enjoy every aspect of it. :mug:

Back