I cheaped out and don't know what I'm doing. Any hope?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapskate

Reaction score
Like the title says, I started my first batch of beer last night. Me and my buddies got together, gathered some kitchen supplies, cleaned them (hot water or oxyclean/bleach and rinse) and started cracking. I have about 80% confidence we did everything right up untill we added the yeast. Here are my concerns:

1. We were supposed to end up with 5 gallons of liquid, but somewhere along the line we gorfed something and only made out with about 3 gal. Can that be diluted any time? or do I have to wait?

2. How easy is it for the beer to become contaminated and unsafe to drink. I don't care about taste as much as I do killing someone (but I do still care about taste :D). Oh, and how easy does yeast "die"

3. What is the point of moving what I've made from a first fermentor to a second one? since I'm using buckets instead of carboys can I just pour from one to another through a strainer or cheese cloth? Or do I have to siphon it?
(and how can I make a cheap siphon??)

4. We sort of left in the sludge at the bottom of boiled stuff in when we added yeast. Can I leave it and just take it out when I move it to a second fermentor?

5. Can I bottle the stuff in water bottles? Or is that a no no? Whats with this sugar stuff?

6. My fermenting vessel is composed of a 5 gal bucket from home depot (cleansed thoroughly) with a piece of pvc sealed (fairly well) to the top with a latex glove zip tied and taped to show any gas expanding. Is this a good idea? The glove hasn't expanded much if at all yet, but the bathroom smells like BEER! Is that a sign that the yeast isn't working properly or that it isn't sealed well? (I know, I only started last night)

7. The whole thing is sitting in a bathtub in 65F water. Good idea?

Thanks so much in advance for answering any of this. I really, really appreciate it (my local brewing shop knows what they're doing but they don't explain it very well). I really don't understand any of the lingo, so if you could help me out when explaining it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a GREAT friday and happy :mug:

Like the title says, I started my first batch of beer last night. Me and my buddies got together, gathered some kitchen supplies, cleaned them (hot water or oxyclean/bleach and rinse) and started cracking. I have about 80% confidence we did everything right up untill we added the yeast. Here are my concerns:

1. We were supposed to end up with 5 gallons of liquid, but somewhere along the line we gorfed something and only made out with about 3 gal. Can that be diluted any time? or do I have to wait? I would go ahead and boil 2 gallons of water, let it cool down to 60 degrees then add it to the bucket

2. How easy is it for the beer to become contaminated and unsafe to drink. I don't care about taste as much as I do killing someone (but I do still care about taste :D). Oh, and how easy does yeast "die" Good news is that you won't kill anyone with you beer! The real nasty bugs cannot survive in beer....as for the yeast tempature play a big part of yeast health. What tempature did you toss (pitch) the yeast in? If it was under 80 degrees you should be ok. I am assuming you used dry yeast, did you rehydrate it in water prior to pitching?

3. What is the point of moving what I've made from a first fermentor to a second one? since I'm using buckets instead of carboys can I just pour from one to another through a strainer or cheese cloth? Or do I have to siphon it?
(and how can I make a cheap siphon??) The point of moving (racking) to a secondary is to clarify the beer or additional aging. You don't have to do move it at all. Just leave it in your bucket for 3 weeks and you'll be fine! If you do want to move it, don't just dump it...you will have to find a way to rack it without splashing or you could oxidize your beer, causing it to spoil sooner.

4. We sort of left in the sludge at the bottom of boiled stuff in when we added yeast. Can I leave it and just take it out when I move it to a second fermentor? Yes if you intend to rack to the secondary try and leave as much sediment behind as you can

5. Can I bottle the stuff in water bottles? Or is that a no no? Whats with this sugar stuff? I have no idea about the water bottles. The suger (Priming Sugar) is used to carbonate your beer. You will boild a pint of water then add the suger and boil for a few minutes. Let it cool then add to the bottling bucket with your beer. Then bottle and the yeast will consume the sugar and carbonate it!

6. My fermenting vessel is composed of a 5 gal bucket from home depot (cleansed thoroughly) with a piece of pvc sealed (fairly well) to the top with a latex glove zip tied and taped to show any gas expanding. Is this a good idea? The glove hasn't expanded much if at all yet, but the bathroom smells like BEER! Is that a sign that the yeast isn't working properly or that it isn't sealed well? (I know, I only started last night) It might take upto 72hrs for signs of fermantation to show. As far as your latex glove....just make sure that the Co2 can vent, if everything is air tight then you will have quite a mess in the bathroom when the pressure of the fermenting beer blows the glove off. As for the PVC I am not sure that is a good idea. PVC can leach some nasty flavors in your beer, always try and get CPVC

7. The whole thing is sitting in a bathtub in 65F water. Good idea? I'd cool it a bit more, maybe 61-62 degree water. Fermentation tempatures can reach up to 10 degrees hotter inside the bucket. But at 65 degrees you will be ok.

Thanks so much in advance for answering any of this. I really, really appreciate it (my local brewing shop knows what they're doing but they don't explain it very well). I really don't understand any of the lingo, so if you could help me out when explaining it would be greatly appreciated.

You too! and RDWHAHB (Relax Don't Worry and Have a Homebrew) :mug:

1. We were supposed to end up with 5 gallons of liquid, but somewhere along the line we gorfed something and only made out with about 3 gal. Can that be diluted any time? or do I have to wait?

2. How easy is it for the beer to become contaminated and unsafe to drink. I don't care about taste as much as I do killing someone (but I do still care about taste :D). Oh, and how easy does yeast "die"

4. We sort of left in the sludge at the bottom of boiled stuff in when we added yeast. Can I leave it and just take it out when I move it to a second fermentor?

5. Can I bottle the stuff in water bottles? Or is that a no no? Whats with this sugar stuff?

6. My fermenting vessel is composed of a 5 gal bucket from home depot (cleansed thoroughly) with a piece of pvc sealed (fairly well) to the top with a latex glove zip tied and taped to show any gas expanding. Is this a good idea? The glove hasn't expanded much if at all yet, but the bathroom smells like BEER! Is that a sign that the yeast isn't working properly or that it isn't sealed well? (I know, I only started last night)

1. You can, but you could also just leave it. If you are going to dilute it, make sure you use boiled and cooled water.

2. Contamination is very possible if you didn't sanitize your equipment. Looks like you used bleach, so I hope you rinsed VERY well. Bleach will add some really bad flavors to beer. Oh, and yeast will die from extreme heat. If you're not throwing the yeast in at 120 degrees, you'll probably be ok. It can even fight off other microorganisms, but only to a point.

3. There's really no need to move it to secondary. Just give it a few weeks in primary. If you want it clearer, you can transfer it. Do NOT just pour it, especially through a strainer. You will aerate the hell out of it, and you'll end up with horribly oxidized beer.

4. Yes, sludge is fine. You can even just rack off of it when you're ready to bottle.

5. I would stick with glass bottles this time around. Some people use plastic, but you're obviously not sure of just about everything when it comes to what you're doing, and if you put it in clear bottles, you'll likely just end up getting it all skunked. Go with brown glass for now. The sugar will give you carbonation. You need to add 5 ounces when you transfer it to your bottling bucket. Yes, you need a bottling bucket.

6. I don't even know what to say. Wrong type of bucket. The glove thing is silly, and your lid probably has no seal, so don't worry about that. Just let it go.

7. Great idea. Water baths are awesome.

Next time, take some time and read about what you're doing. You might like what turns out of this batch, but you need to have the basic understanding on how to make it, which you're obviously nowhere near.

I would follow the advice aswell as get a Guide to Homebrew book......or please read this website: http://www.howtobrew.com/

Ignore those people other people being rude. Just because they asked the same questions a few years ago doesn't give them the right to be a bunch of beer-snobs. Keep the newb questions coming, but I would recommend reading the book at that link above and at least using the search function on homebrewtalk for answers before posting.

Disclaimer:
So just in case you are 11, I will start off saying that brewing and/or consuming alcoholic beverages is illegal for an 11 year old. If you are 11 you should dump what you made away and wait several years until you try again.

That can be diluted at any time. However you should measure your specific gravity to determine how much sugar you have in there before you dilute it so you don't thin it out too much too make an enjoyable beverage.

Beer will not harbor bacteria that is harmful to humans. Beer infections generally just create bad tastes and smells.
Yeast is fairly hardy, but can be killed by freezing, or by temperatures exceeding 90 degrees F. It can also be killed by certain chemical compounds and preservatives that should not be applicable to any recipe you were following.

When you move between fermentors the primary goal is to separate the beer from the yeast, protein, and hop residue that has settled out during fermentation. Pouring through a strainer is not advised as you want to limit the exposure to oxygen once you have alcohol in the beer. A basic siphon is can be made from nothing more than an appropriately sized hose. Sanitize everything that comes in contact with the beer at this point.

Yes, leave it.

You should use brown beer bottles. The color blocks light that will skunk your beer. Also most water bottles are not designed to withstand carbonation pressure.

The fermenting wort will create a lot of gas. If your glove is airtight eventually it will fill up and blow off. You are much better using an airlock that allows gas to escape without letting outside air in. Google fermentation airlock.

Yes, good idea

If you get some time there are lots of great threads on this site that can anser many of these questions. It is definitely tempting to jump right in, and most of us have been there in past our knowledge level at some point. Also John Palmers excellent guide how to brew is available for free online. Worth o read. http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Good luck!

thanks everyone. I looked up John Palmer and am reading his "how to brew" now! From the information I've gotten (from your replies and looking around) here's what I'm going to do:

Leave the fermenter alone for about 3 weeks (I used liquid yeast and put it in at about 70 btw) or until my little glove thing stops inflating. Then Im going to add the 2gal water and sugar and mix it together. I'll bottle it by pouring the liquid through a strainer into the bottles.
Sound good?

Oh, and Im going to go out and buy a book or two on home brewing and seriously consider just shelling out the money for a beginners kit.

thanks everyone. I looked up John Palmer and am reading his "how to brew" now! From the information I've gotten (from your replies and looking around) here's what I'm going to do:

Leave the fermenter alone for about 3 weeks (I used liquid yeast and put it in at about 70 btw) or until my little glove thing stops inflating. Then Im going to add the 2gal water and sugar and mix it together. I'll bottle it by pouring the liquid through a strainer into the bottles.
Sound good?

Oh, and Im going to go out and buy a book or two on home brewing and seriously consider just shelling out the money for a beginners kit.

Personally I would add the 2 gallons of water before you bottle, just to make sure that everything is mixed good. Also I would make sure and let the beer sit at least 3 weeks. The glove will most likely stop inflating after a few days, but the yeast still need to clean up their by products. Add the sugar when you bottle, but make sure not to splash.
+1 On getting a kit. :mug:

Buy a hydrometer. This is more important than any book.

Brewing info is all over the web. No substitute for the hydro.

thanks everyone! Ok so about splashing, does that literally mean splashing the liquid around? Oh, and just to make sure, I can just pour for the bottling stage (I don't need to siphon or anything fancy?). You guys are awesome (and yes, a hydrometer is on the top of my wishlist :D)

sorry, but you really should use a syphon or tubing to fill the bottles. At the end of the day it is actually easier. But if you do pour, do it carefully and slowly! Oh, I would also think about a tad less water??

Sorry... while the 15 comment sounded a little harsh, I literally thought that you might be 15 based on many of the questions. Most of us getting into the hobby later on, have taken the time to read up on the basics. From your first entry, it sounds like you jumped in head first... almost to the point of brewing dendelion wine in your prison cell. Just joking....

FIRST thing you should buy is an appropriately sized stopper and a decent airlock. That's like 5 bucks total. If your bucket is appropriately sealed and it ferments, that glove is going to go with a bang pretty soon.

If you really, really, really don't want to get an airlock, for whatever reason, just put a piece of plastic over the hole and hold it with a rubber band (but DON'T tape it), so the gas can still vent, but it's somewhat protected.

Clear bottles are not ok, and I'd wager some water bottles are even not PET, which lets oxygen leech in get brown bottles that you can cap somehow (screw or crown)

Given the rest of your procedure (and your handle), racking into a secondary doesn't really make much sense. I suppose you're not going to wait months to bottle, so it won't make a difference.

Never pour beer, unless it's on a glass, to drink. You'll oxidize it. You really want to siphon it - you just need a piece of hose (preferably something reasonably food-safe). But bottling 5 gallons from a siphon will still be a major pain in the ass, you're really better off with some sort of bottling bucket. Also, the sugar needs to be fermented INSIDE the bottle (to carbonate) - you have to add it just before bottling, if you add it too soon, it'll just ferment in the bucket.

And you can't really add sugar to your primary - you need to mix it in for bottling, and if you do that in your primary you'll stir all the sludge at the bottom. If you really decide to bottle directly from the fermenter, be careful NOT to siphon the sludge into the bottles, and add the sugar DIRECTLY to the bottles ( I forgot how much it needs to be per bottle, but be careful not to add too much to a bottle)

Sorry... while the 15 comment sounded a little harsh, I literally thought that you might be 15 based on many of the questions. Most of us getting into the hobby later on, have taken the time to read up on the basics. From your first entry, it sounds like you jumped in head first... almost to the point of brewing dendelion wine in your prison cell. Just joking....

its all good no worries:mug:

Read this. All of it. Then read the first section before you brew each and every batch.

If you're looking to save money on beer, go buy some Natty. You won't save much if any doing it yourself.

Also...if you ruin 3 batches from inadequate/cobbled together equipment, you will have cost yourself as much as if you had bought a kit of good-quality equipment in the first place. The good news is that between the brewers here, someone has tried everything. You don't need to re-invent the wheel, just follow what Palmer says (link, above) and you'll get good results.

And...I would SERIOUSLY recommend against pouring into bottles. 1) that bottle neck is really small and the opening of the bucket is really big. 2) Even with a funnel, it will be damm near impossible to keep from over filling your bottles. If you overfill them, you will have beer bombs in a week or two. 3) You REALLY don't want to aerate your beer by running it through a strainer. All kinds of nasty things can happen. 4) If you get a siphon kit with a bottle filler, your life will be immeasurably easier. 5) If you pour, you will probably get some trub in the bottles. If you siphon, you'll get good clean beer. 6) If you pour, you will get some of the scuz off of the top of the beer into the bottles unless you skim it off. Skimming is just another way to introduce contaminants into your beer unless you are very careful. You will be amazed at the layer of goo on top of the beer when you open that bucket.

At my LHBS:

Hydrometer: $6.50
Hydrometer test jar: $2.80
Siphon tubing: $.25/ft - 4' = $1.00
Bottle filler: $2.50
Auto-Siphon: $10.50

For under $25 you can set yourself up with a hydrometer and siphon kit.

Dude, you might as well have called this thread "Tell Me How To Brew." You'd think a group of buddies who get together to make beer could have done the slightest bit of research; several heads are better than one.

Before even doing my very first beer I must have read three different brewing books and ravaged the interwebs for brewing tips. Try going to a forum for people who work on cars and ask them step-by-step how to put an entire car together and see how they react ;)

Do yourself a favor: if you really want to make quality brew and have a fun (not frustrating) time doing so, take a good chunk of free time and really learn the basics. Youtube has tons of tutorials, this website is an endless source of information, and brewing books (even older ones) can be quite valuable.

Good Idea... Although you don't want to shell out the money -being somewhat poor myself, I understand. But why waste all that money on ingredients and all that time brewing if your equipment is not suitable to do the job?

As far as bottling goes...NO don't pour the beer through a strainer! This would be a good time to spend the $15 and get an autosiphon, bottle filler, and tubing... You and your beer will appreciate it. I'm sure your lhbs staff would be happy to demonstrate how to use them and get you set up with the very basic equipment at the least amount of money.

Back