I can't wait anymore!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I have fought temptation for 2.5 months but my resolve is fading.

I have a couple of beers, A Rochefort 8 and a Westmalle dubbel in my basement. I do not have acces to very many such beers around where I am. The plan was to build a stash and "cellar" some. Buying what I can find when I travel.

So, my meager 2 bottle collection is calling to me most strongly today. It is a snowy day. I am stuck at home with no vehicle... I am beat from raking snow off the roof... Power just flickered out... I want something BIG and tasty...

Nothing wrong with my homebrew but I do not have anything that fits the bill available.

Plus I have never tried either of these beers. I know I will pick up some more to add to the stash as I am travelling to CT over the weekend.

Oh, give me the strength!

:drunk:

Drink it. What good is a beer collection if you don't enjoy it. If you feel the need to collect something - this could be the start of a nice bottle collection

You mean in Burlington?

Yeah they may have it. But like I said, when I travel. Burlington is 2 hours away. I can get some good brews in Vermont but not much close by. Usually at least an hours drive to most good sources.

knights of Gambrinus said:
You mean in Burlington?

Yeah they may have it. But like I said, when I travel. Burlington is 2 hours away. I can get some good brews in Vermont but not much close by. Usually at least an hours drive to most good sources.

Yeah Burlington. I wasn't sure how far away you were, but I think I saw it there recently. Don't quote me though. I'm positive they have Foret though, which is nice...

I feel your pain. Somehow I've managed to hold off on drinking Evan!'s Meph. clone for over 2 months now.

If I didn't have so much of my own beer there's no way I'd be able to NOT drink something that tempting.

Ah.

The deed is done.

er, it is being done as I type.

Ah, deliscious. I have to say, the westmalle is far and away my favorite. Much more fruity and complex so far. The Rocheforte 8 has a sort of flatness to it. Kind of a medicinal astringency in the finish. Maybe it should have sat longer. Ooops.

I cannot tell when they were brewed.

Oh well. I am quite happy for now... :drunk:

The clincher in my decision was I may be licensing some of my artwork and I wanted to celebrate. Figured I had to try both side by side to compare while I was at it!

:tank:

i only wish to age my homebrews.

commercial brews don't last long for me. i figure if it needs to be stored for a time, the brewery should do it so when it hits the market it's ready to drink. some could definitely get better with age, but they're still good enough to drink and damned if i have room to store them.

that rochefort 8 is hit or miss. i've had some really good bottles and some with the taste you mentioned. I don't know that aging would improve it.

I've made the Rochefort 10 and it was great. Never made/had the Westmalle. Before you drink it all, save a few bottles of each for about a year. You will not be disappointed. I have 1 bottle of the 10 that was made 5 years ago and it is still aging. Maybe save it for when one of my kids graduates (another 8 years)? I hear that you can age Grande Chimay for 20+ years (which is also a great homebrew), and that is equivalent in alcohol to both of these.

Back