I can't smell the internet....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

When the days comes that I want to start experimenting with my own beers and recipes, where can I find a place where I can get a sense of the ingredients? I can't exactly smell hops through the internet! Is there a directory for brew stores of some kind on the web?

Thanks!

Cheers:mug:

Yeah, sorry that might help. I live in Champaign, Illinois. There is a hobby shop here with SOME stuff but I am really hoping there is something better. Thanks for the help guys.

The Northern Brewer catalogue has a list of all hops and malts they sell. I've used it often to get an idea of what they different items smell like and taste. If you call NB at the number on their website, they'll send you a catalogue.

http://***********/referenceguide/hops/index.html

can't smell it but they compare to things you probably know. and yeah Leisure time is short on hops big time. I've been ordering from austinhomebrew.

Local Hombrew store, craft beers that list hops used, homebrew clubs, brew swap, buy a little bit of a lot and smell/taste away!

EamusCatuli said:
Yeah, sorry that might help. I live in Champaign, Illinois. There is a hobby shop here with SOME stuff but I am really hoping there is something better. Thanks for the help guys.

There's also Friar Tuck's in Savoy. They have a bit more variety than Leisure Time, and are cheaper (if you don't get the frequent customer discount at the hobby store). It's on Neil, right by the Savoy 16 Theater and the new Schnuck's. I think they just got a hop shipment, too.

No way, I did not think that Friar Tucks had anything like that! I will go check them out right now.....Thanks for the help everyone!

ps, i can smell the internet now, and it does in fact smell like cheese ;)

Cheers :mug:

EamusCatuli said:
No way, I did not think that Friar Tucks had anything like that! I will go check them out right now.....Thanks for the help everyone!

ps, i can smell the internet now, and it does in fact smell like cheese ;)

Cheers :mug:

Yah, I just bought a stout kit from FT for St. Paddy's...decent selection of kits, LMEs, DMEs and bags of whole grains. Heck, even their hardware selection isn't too shabby.

What helped me a lot is going to the homebrew store. I tried a munch of all the malts they have on the shelves. Helped out a lot.

You can also find out when their hop shipment comes in and offer to help bag them up. That should give you a good sense of the aromas.

....but the internet can smell YOU! and taste you. you haz a flaver.

anyway, got two words for you if you can't find local stuff: online ordering

:mug:

morebeer.com, northerbrewer.com, austinhomebrew.com, etc.

Latest posts

Back