I can't drink witbier.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Super Bowl XL. Seattle vs. Pittsburgh. 2-12 packs of Blue Moon because it's one of the few beers my then-girlfriend-now-wife could both stand.

Since that weekend long, long ago, I have to stifle a gag whenever I taste the orange-coriander-wheat combo. That means witbier in general, not just Blue Moon. I had a Paulaner Wit a week before my wedding and it was just as bad. I wanted to enjoy it. I really did. It even came with an orange slice adding insult to injury.

Is there any way to undo the damage? Or has witbier gone the way of tequila?

That game left a bad taste in a lot of our mouths. Not surprised it carried over to the beer you were drinking, that game was so awful. ;)

Wait for a nice summer day and open a Hoegaarden.... Most of my friends say they can't stand wits.... but at a summer party around 85 degrees.... It was the first beer I ran out of.... Now they all ask where they can get the "WHO"-something beer..

you poor, poor man. you can still drink german hefweizens, right? the imports are the best this time of year because of the weather. they don't go through crappy shipping conditions (at least that's why i think the franziskaner at my local safeway is so tasty :D)

Hefes are still fair game. I love Franziskaner, especially the Dunkel. I used to drink it at lunch all the time, back when I worked near a bar that carried it. Fortunately, I had almost no responsibilities and my boss didn't care.

Props on the new avatar by the way. I suppose in hindsight only you were the only proper recipient.

Did you enjoy wit beer at one time? I don't get it.

Personally, I have never cared for the style. I am not really into fruit or spices in beer. Not every beer is for everyone.

Yep, I used to enjoy it. Buying two cases and drinking way too much of it all at once killed it for me.

Yeah, I had that same reaction with ouzo. Polished off a bottle with a friend one night. Wondered the streets singing at the top of my lungs... and some things I can't remember...

I cringe at the smell of anything anise like anymore.

Yeah, I had that same reaction with ouzo. Polished off a bottle with a friend one night. Wondered the streets singing at the top of my lungs... and some things I can't remember...

I cringe at the smell of anything anise like anymore.

Reminds me of when an old High School buddy dropped by with a bottle of Absinthe.

Reminds me of when an old High School buddy dropped by with a bottle of Absinthe.

I was drunk one night on Absinthe and Ouzo. I cant remember much of that night and I'm pretty sure I don't want to. I cant drink either any more. Just burned those flavors right out of me. I remember being able to taste Absinthe for at least 3 days after that. No amount of teeth brushing could make it go away! :(

I was drunk one night on Absinthe and Ouzo. I cant remember much of that night and I'm pretty sure I don't want to. I cant drink either any more. Just burned those flavors right out of me. I remember being able to taste Absinthe for at least 3 days after that. No amount of teeth brushing could make it go away! :(

Well, it might have been OK, except we had spent the afternoon mixing Mai Tais and Long Island Iced Teas (back then I was still only recently legal). And THEN, after two or three glasses of Absinthe (properly watered down, with the burnt sugar and everything), everyone decided it would be a good idea to watch the BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.

Now, I can't even have NyQuil, the taste is so similar. Which, since they got rid of the pseudoephedrine, isn't that big a deal....

Nevertheless it was one of those nights I recall with extreme fondness. Not like two Cinco De Mayos ago...

I had a memorable experience with Southern Comfort as a youth (17 yr old). It totally killed any and all interest in anything harder than beer. Violent up-chucking tends to do that.

Back