I can't decide...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
But that's what I have you guys for!

I need help with my next beer (mostly the hop schedule). I was originally thinking of an English IPA, then meandered towards the idea of modifying my ESB another time, and now I kinda want to try using some cascades (never done it).

I am looking for a relatively hoppy brew, with a nice maltiness and decent turn around time. I really am set on using wlp002 since I already have it. The grain bill I was thinking of is below:

(10|12) lbs Maris Otter (ESB|EIPA)
.75 lbs Crystal 75L
.25 lbs Special Roast

(V:5.5G; OG:1.057|1.068)
Mash at 154F (maybe 156F?).

The hops I have on hand are:
Northdown
US Goldings
Cascade
Challenger
Mt Hood

I was thinking of either combining Northdown and Goldings or Cascade and Goldings.

Ideas?

I would say bitter with Cascade and 20min/10/5 with Goldings and dry hop with Cascade?
Good luck

I've never dry hopped. Is it really necessary, or can I just do a larger flameout addition?

Also, even if I use cascade, I want to keep the British hop character dominant. Is there a rough guide to how much American hops to use with British hops to keep a balance?

A dry hop produces a very different, fresher hop aroma than a late kettle addition. I definitely want a dry hop in my ESB, and you cannot have an IPA of any stripe without one.

What would be good hops amounts for an ESB vs an EIPA? Would a 1oz at 15 and a 1oz at flameout be good for an ESB or more along the lines of an EIPA?

Back