I cant believe how fast my homebrew bottles are going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcbjr77

Reaction score
My first brew came and went without a hitch, I found being patient is key during fermentation and after bottling.

Thought I was going to have a full 5 gallons, ended up with 43 bottles.

Here's how they went.
Stated with 42

Had a flat one during bottling (I hate odd numbers) 41 left
Had a carbonated one a week in- 40 left
My fiance and I had one each 2 weeks in- 38 left
Week 3...Hooray!!! Officially ready to drink brought 12 to work to drink with my coworkers -26 left
My dad and his girlfriend stopped over we all had a bunch- 16 left

I have 16 left and so many people still haven't tried it, I know I need to get another batch going but with a baby that's 3 months old it's not my top priority. Hopefully my next brew day will be soon.

It's nearly impossible to wait 2-3 weeks on your debut batch. I know I didn't either. Hopefully you're able to get the pipeline going and not be tempted to try your new brews until week 2 at the earliest...

I always start popping tops after a week. I like to check the development as it goes, so sampling is necessary. Just recently I bottled a cherry black wheat beer and on bottling my wife and I both were like "oh, this is going to be so bad..." but after a week in the bottle, it was crazy good!

So keep popping those tops early!

Truth. The notion that you "save money brewing your own beer" is a bit misleading as you tend to drink/give away beer at a faster rate than if you were purchasing stuff off the shelf.

Truth. The notion that you "save money brewing your own beer" is a bit misleading as you tend to drink/give away beer at a faster rate than if you were purchasing stuff off the shelf.

I knew it would never be a money saver, just the satisfaction of somebody trying a beer you made from scratch... and the kicker is when they say it tastes better then original.

I need to keep more beer going at all times, Ideally I should have a batch in the fermentor, a batch carbonating , and some in the fridge....I'm slacking right now

A money saver not so much but honestly it has been cost effective. And like everyone else, I couldn't wait on my first batch either. I tried it flat on bottling day, one at a week and one at 2 weeks. Quality control of course.

I agree with lcbjr77, I need to get a pipeline going. Currently have one in the kegerator, one conditioning, and I'm brewing a hefe as I type to go in the fermentor.

Going through it faster than planned is also my problem and also why I am moving up to 10 gallon batches. For the amount of work with a 5 gallon batch, I can get 10 and keg 5 for me and the other 5 get handed out to my beer fans at work and in the neighborhood.
It does go VERY fast.

as soon as i can get my keggles made and a brew stand I will also be going to 10 gallon batches. This way I could do a regular hefe and a rasberry hefe 8)

Latest posts

Back