I can see where kegging could be a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not the kegging itself mind you...that was a breeze and the results outstanding.

The problem arises with the ease and convenience by which one can just stop by the keg, think "maybe just a quick taste..." and then whamo...you've had 5 or 6 quick tastes on a Sunday when you're supposed to be cleaning the kitchen floor for your SWMBO. :drunk:

At least with bottles...there is a mental "barrier" to popping off the cap. I mean after all...once open, you have to drink the whole thing...rinse the bottle...peel the label...etc. With a keg though...just stack some plastic cups on top of the Sanyo (for offering samples to your guests of course) and there's no stopping you. Well, there's no stopping me anyway.

To aggrevate the problem, my first kegged batch was (is) a 6.3% Porter that is just about the best tasting thing I've ever put between my lips. :rockin:

I think my next keg will be a session APA or maybe an Ordinary Bitter.

Anyone else beset by this "problem"? ;)

KalvinEddie said:
To aggrevate the problem, my first kegged batch was (is) a 6.3% Porter that is just about the best tasting thing I've ever put between my lips.

So what was number 1???:eek:

Anyway, I hear ya about the kegging. It makes it really easy to have a beer after work, that turns into 6.

Everything you have pointed out as a potential problem i see as a very good side effect.

#1, if the wife can not see any bottles she assumes you have had one maybe two.
#2, It sounds like you got out of cleaning the floor.
#3, one of the best things you have put your lips on and you didnt even have to buy it dinner!:mug:

I've only had one problem kegging. I had a 90 minute IPA on tap for this holiday season. You think you had a problem w/ 6.3% porter? Try having to a 10%+ beer on tap. I had friends on the couch almost every night. My daughters kept asking me "Who's that man on the couch?".

Reverend JC said:
Everything you have pointed out as a potential problem i see as a very good side effect.

#1, if the wife can not see any bottles she assumes you have had one maybe two.
#2, It sounds like you got out of cleaning the floor.
#3, one of the best things you have put your lips on and you didnt even have to buy it dinner!:mug:

Heh, heh...yeah. Especially the "no bottles" point. I can actually claim I'm "cutting back Dear...".

My first part of my keg system arrived this morning, a tap. Unluckily for me it is my wedding anniversary today (8) and she thought that it was a pressie for her! I bought her a club membership for her AFL team and she thought that it was the welcome pack. How pissed was she when I told her it was for "my beer"!!! She bought me a rose and a plant pot. Next year she is getting a six pack or two!

oh and scored last night on bottles - $140 worth of beer for $90. 48 bottles of MSB porter and IPA. Yummy. Now my fridge looks much better!!! On special at the bottle shop. Only went in for a six pack :rockin:

dibby33 said:
oh and scored last night on bottles - $140 worth of beer for $90. 48 bottles of MSB porter and IPA...Only went in for a six pack :rockin:

I only went in for a gallon of milk one night and ended up with three Sam Adams variety 12-packs...forgot the milk though.

Boy they make a nice scotch ale...:)

dibby33 said:
it is my wedding anniversary today (8)

Congrats! It was our 13th yesterday on the 19th. She is very supportive of my brewing, which should lead to another 13 happy years and more.

I should have 4 kegs showing up today!

I didn't get her anything, we are going to San Fran at the end of March - that's what she wanted.

Of course, she had dual motives. She will be attending a conference on the Friday we are there so I am touring the Rogue brewery!

KalvinEddie said:
I only went in for a gallon of milk one night and ended up with three Sam Adams variety 12-packs...forgot the milk though.

Boy they make a nice scotch ale...:)

Ha! I do that all the time. Go to the store because SWMBO sent me for something specific and I show up at home with some great buy on beer or wine and totally forgot to get what she actually sent me for. Good thing she likes wine!

knipknup said:
Congrats! It was our 13th yesterday on the 19th. She is very supportive of my brewing, which should lead to another 13 happy years and more.

I should have 4 kegs showing up today!

I didn't get her anything, we are going to San Fran at the end of March - that's what she wanted.

Of course, she had dual motives. She will be attending a conference on the Friday we are there so I am touring the Rogue brewery!

Wow, me and my SWMBO are celebrating 17 on Feb 22.

shbrewer said:
Wow, me and my SWMBO are celebrating 17 on Feb 22.

18 for us in April. She suggested kegging about a month ago. I feel like a newlywed again. *sniff* She doesn't even like beer, but I'm beginning to think she really likes me! :confused:

I find that kegging has nothing but advantages, two of which are quite relevant to this thread:

1. I can have less than 12 or 22 oz at a time, so if I really do just want a "taste," I can have it!

2. SWMBO really has no idea how much I've had. No bottle count, no evidence (other than my fun-level, which is directly proportional to SWMBO's irritation level), easy to sneak a quick pull after she says, "Haven't you had enough?"

Yuri_Rage said:
I find that kegging has nothing but advantages...SWMBO really has no idea how much I've had. No bottle count, no evidence (other than my fun-level, which is directly proportional to SWMBO's irritation level), easy to sneak a quick pull after she says, "Haven't you had enough?"

My fridge is in my workshop in the basement. Along with my old recliner, old color TV, four carboys, two primary buckets, other brew gear and oh yeah...a few assorted tools.

I even have a basement bathroom so I can work on those weekend "projects" for hours on end without going (stumbling) upstairs. :)

Yeah I know exactly what you guys are talking about as far as the simplicity of the keg goes. I installed some shelves right above my keezer and its VERY easy to draw a perfectly carbonated homebrew out of my keg when I'm in the garage taking out the garbage :) But I usually just have 1..or 6.

I find that kegging has nothing but advantages, two of which are quite relevant to this thread:

1. I can have less than 12 or 22 oz at a time, so if I really do just want a "taste," I can have it!

2. SWMBO really has no idea how much I've had. No bottle count, no evidence (other than my fun-level, which is directly proportional to SWMBO's irritation level), easy to sneak a quick pull after she says, "Haven't you had enough?"

Yeah, I love the fact that I can pull half pints or less and I don't have a stack of bottles to maintain. My keezer holds 4 kegs, so during the week I'll sample each one at night, but usually only sample 6 oz of each. I'll do an hour swim most weeknights after work to offset the calories. On the weekend that is a different story! I'm trying to find that sweet spot of enjoying the fruits of my labor, maintaining a healthy weight and liver :)

Yeah I know exactly what you guys are talking about as far as the simplicity of the keg goes. I installed some shelves right above my keezer and its VERY easy to draw a perfectly carbonated homebrew out of my keg when I'm in the garage taking out the garbage :) But I usually just have 1..or 6.

It musta been 6, cause this is a 3 year old thread.

_

It musta been 6, cause this is a 3 year old thread.

It's a good topic for a zombie thread though. :rockin:

I think this happens to everyone the first time they keg. For me, it was similar. Jamil's Chocolate Hazulnut Porter. "I'll just try some while I'm cleaning the garage." Best time EVER cleaning the garage. :drunk:

Back