I Brewed an Crazy Strong Belgian Golden… Now What?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyWalty

Reaction score
I just finished racking a Belgian Golden that I brewed three weeks ago into the 5 gallon carboy and of course took a gravity reading. Holy Cow! I am at 11.4% ABV and it tastes great.

I was originally shooting for 10.1% to fit it in the style guidelines, but I way underestimated my efficiency. I recently switches to fly sparging and have been doing longer mashes and haven't quite dialed in my equipment.

I wanted to submit a few bottles of this beer to our intra-club competition in October of next year and wanted to save some for Christmas gifts next year.

So my questions:
1. Is it worth entering into the competition, given that it is outside of the style guidelines for ABV.
2. How do I prime this thing when I bottle it? I have read about people using Champaign yeast, but I am concerned with bottle bombs if the yeast decide to keep going into any remaining sugar. I have also read that people will use US-05, but I am concerned that it cannot handle the shock of being dropped into an 11.4% ABV solution. Those of you that have had consistent results bottling high alcohol beers, please let me know what works for you.
3. I want to get belgian bottles with the corks. I think it will look nice as gifts. Can you use the hand-held corking tool (the kind that has the two handles that you place over the wine bottle) to push the cork in and still leave enough exposed to wrap the wire cap around it?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but now that I have tasted it, I want it to be a success.

I recommend:

WL irish ale yeast. Boil and cool priming solution, add yeast to that. Let the yeast get a little foamy and rack and hope.

Keg carbing would be ideal.

What yeast did you start with? I make a Belgian Golden with 1762 that comes in at 10.3% ABV routinely and I never have needed to pitch fresh yeast for bottle conditioning.

I usually go 10 days in the primary, dry hop 7 days in a secondary, bottle and age for 60 days.

What yeast did you start with? I make a Belgian Golden with 1762 that comes in at 10.3% ABV routinely and I never have needed to pitch fresh yeast for bottle conditioning.

I usually go 10 days in the primary, dry hop 7 days in a secondary, bottle and age for 60 days.

I could be wrong, but 10.3% is a different animal than 11.4% in my book.

BoShimTang, I have had a russian imperial stout never carb up on me, that is why I am a little cautious. I used Wyeast 3711.

Cheesydemon3, I thought about force carbing it, but I have a single regulator with two ports, so I would have to have only that keg on the system b/c of the high carbonation for the style. Plus, I would have to change out my beer line for that one since it will be more carbonated, it would likely be a foamy mess coming out of the tap. Thanks for the advice on the Irish Ale yeast. I will give that a shot. When you say wait until it gets foamy, am I looking for the start of krausen?

Thank you.

I just made a big dark strong with 1762, 1.10 down to 1.019, 10.5% alcohol. Letting it finish out at 73 to be sure. I don't plan on adding fresh yeast for bottle conditioning. And have about 3 months to contest time.

OMG that beer is so good I can't even believe. Kept it cool in the ferment, under 70 F.

What were your OG and FG? I think I am pretty near to done but want to make absolutely sure, then prime with just the right amount of amber candy sugar or even darkish. Been experimenting with making homemade, it's interesting. Done two batches now with it and worked out well.

I just made a big dark strong with 1762, 1.10 down to 1.019, 10.5% alcohol. Letting it finish out at 73 to be sure. I don't plan on adding fresh yeast for bottle conditioning. And have about 3 months to contest time.

OMG that beer is so good I can't even believe. Kept it cool in the ferment, under 70 F.

What were your OG and FG? I think I am pretty near to done but want to make absolutely sure, then prime with just the right amount of amber candy sugar or even darkish. Been experimenting with making homemade, it's interesting. Done two batches now with it and worked out well.

I kept mine at 68 for two weeks, then per the advice of one of the commercial brewers nearby, I brought it up to ambient garage temp (83F). My O.G. was 1.090 and F.G. 1.004. It has some nice spices and a tart apple hint to it.

MaltyWalty said:
I kept mine at 68 for two weeks, then per the advice of one of the commercial brewers nearby, I brought it up to ambient garage temp (83F). My O.G. was 1.090 and F.G. 1.004. It has some nice spices and a tart apple hint to it.

3711 finishes very dry but leaves a smooth, silky feel that will make it seem sweeter than it is. If you want you could re-pitch 3711 3 days prior to bottling.

This might be a good idea given finishing ambient temp of 83F. These strains of yeast handle high ABV and high temps very well, but it may be worth the peace of mind.

Back