I brewed a favorite recipe today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
D

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
I brewed a favorite recipe today, not one of mine, but the Moose Drool inspired recipe @BrewnWKopperKat posted in this thread at #16. I've adapted it to 5 gallons, late addition, and Hallertauer replacing Liberty hops. I'm calling's it "Droll Moose."

5 1/2 gal. water
6 lbs. Briess Pale Ale DME
1 lb. 60L crystal malt
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
1 1/2 oz, midnight wheat
1/4 tsp. calcium chloride
1 1/2 oz. Willamette, 6.0 alpha for the boil, adjusted HBUs 9.9
1 1/4 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfuher for flavor
1 1/4 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfuher for aroma
1 S04 ale yeast

Dissolve 3 lbs. DME in 1/2 gal. water for late addition
Dissolve 3 lbs. DME in 3/4 gal. for boil, add 1/4 tsp. CaCl, begin heating
Steep grains in 3/4 gal. water for 30 min. at 150-160 F.
Strain into boil kettle, bring to boil, add boil hops
30 min. boil
10 min. flavor hops
0 min. add late addition and aroma hops
Cover and move to sink for water bath cool down
Pour into fermenter, top off to 5 gal. with chilled water

HBUs are adjusted down 10% for a 30 min. boil and up 20% for the late addition of half the extract

285DROLL.png

Edit: corrected brewing steps error.

Last edited:

KBW PilotHouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I brewed one of my best beers. I brewed a German Wheat. This is super simple and carbs up fast.

2.5 gal of water
3 lbs. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
.5 oz. Mandarina Bavaria hops
5.5 g. LalBrew Munich Classic yeast

Dissolve 2.5 lbs of the DME in 1 quart of water for a late addition.
Dissolve 1/2 lbs in 1.75 gallons of water in a brew pot and bring to a boil.
Once pot is boiling add hops and boil for 30 min (you can do this as a first-wort addition also)
At flameout add dissolved late addition DME let it set for 10 min and chill.
Add wort to fermentor and top up with cold water to 2.5 gallons
Pitch yeast

Next time I brew this I am going to replace the hops with Meridian or Lemondrop

This beer had excellent head retention and just a hint of orange to go with the banana and cloves from the yeast.

View attachment 740877
Dang that looks tasty!! 🍻

ncbrewer

Reaction score
My last brew was Baltic Porter - one of my favorites:
8 lbs Williams Brewing Baltic Porter LME (This is the key - the entire grain bill in one extract)
1/4 tsp CaCl (depends on your water and the extract)
0.66 mls lactic acid (depends on your water)
Campden as needed for chlorine in tap water
1.53 oz Willamette hops at 4.2% AA - for 21 IBUs (Tinseth)
1 packet US-05 yeast. (I know it should be handled as a lager, but this beer is so flavorful that the US-05 works well IMO.)

Boil enough water for 2.652 gallons including LME
Remove from heat and stir in 4 cups of LME
Return to boil and add all hops
Boil 40 minutes
Add remaining LME, cover, and let stand 10 minutes
Chill as needed so that top-off water will bring it to 60F
Top off to 5 gallons - stir well
Sprinkle dry yeast and fold into the wort gently
Ferment at 68F for four days, then at 72F for the duration

BrewnWKopperKat

Is there an echo? echo, echo, echo, ...
Reaction score
@ncbrewer : I am assuming that you are making water adjustments to your tap water.

How did you decide that you needed to add lactic acid? How did you decide how much lactic acid to add?

ncbrewer

Reaction score
@ncbrewer : I am assuming that you are making water adjustments to your tap water.

How did you decide that you needed to add lactic acid? How did you decide how much lactic acid to add?
Martin Brungard recommends under 50 ppm alkalinity, and less is better. I found the alkalinity of my tap water - it's very consistent. Bru'n Water shows how to adjust alkalinity in the Sparge Acidification sheet based on your starting water.

BrewnWKopperKat

Is there an echo? echo, echo, echo, ...
Reaction score
Martin Brungard recommends under 50 ppm alkalinity, and less is better
Where is that recommendation mentioned?

(I'm not disagreeing with it - it will be good to have a 'link' to the original recommendation).

update (a day later): I don't use "water chemistry" software and didn't expect to find the recommendation on adjusting sparge water in the Bru'n Water spreadsheet (I had assumed, incorrectly, that the spreadsheet was just calculations, not calculations & recommendations). I can see how the alkalinity adjustment for sparge water could also apply to adjusting tap water used for extract brewing.

Last edited:

duncan_disorderly

Reaction score
The reason for the S-33 yeast is that at that same time I was put out by the price jumps Nottingham has been taking. (It used to be a cheap yeast.)
I have started putting 2 different yeasts into the same brew. Part packs. Notty and S-33 is one that works well. Various benefits in performance, flavour, cost. Those two strains used to belong together, and work well together. Also Notty is available under other brand names. Mangrove Jack M42, Muntons Premium Gold. Possibly others. Mangrove Jack M36 is a good choice for English ales. I'm a big fan of Lallemand Verdant, it costs the same as their Nottingham but you can harvest yeast from its thick creamy krausen and reuse it very successfully. The best dry English ale yeast by a distance, IMO.

OP
D

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Lallemand Verdant . . . The best dry English ale yeast by a distance, IMO.
Well, then, I'll have to try it. What hops do you prefer with it?

EDIT: @Miraculix is also saying Verdant is best over on "English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?" on the General Home-brew Discussion forum at post #2571. So, @duncan_disorderly, you might like to chime in there. (I wish I could recall how to provide the link.)

Last edited:

duncan_disorderly

Reaction score
Well, then, I'll have to try it. What hops do you prefer with it?
Good question. It's a real all rounder, I reckon. It works well with fruity American hops, but also with spicy English hops. Goldings, Fuggles Challenger obviously. I like a combination of Northdown and First Gold. Pilgrim and Progress too, if you can find them.

ncbrewer

Reaction score
Where is that recommendation mentioned?

(I'm not disagreeing with it - it will be good to have a 'link' to the original recommendation).

update (a day later): I don't use "water chemistry" software and didn't expect to find the recommendation on adjusting sparge water in the Bru'n Water spreadsheet (I had assumed, incorrectly, that the spreadsheet was just calculations, not calculations & recommendations). I can see how the alkalinity adjustment for sparge water could also apply to adjusting tap water used for extract brewing.
There is a recommendation in the Brun Water spreadsheet in the "Special Consideration for Extract Brewers" section of the Instructions sheet. He also discusses it in the HBT thread Bru’n water for Extract no boil

duncan_disorderly

Reaction score
Thank you. That's it. I am going to use Verdant the next time I brew "Edmonds," the brew at post #1 that started this thread. :mug:
I hope you like it! Be sure to crop some of the yeast from the top after a few days, it works brilliantly in subsequent brews. There is more flavour from re-pitched Verdant I reckon, and it will save you a few dollars each time too.

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
Got to try my latest brew this weekend and couldn't be happier. By far my best batch yet and by far the simplest brew I've ever done.

30 min boil
6lbs Muntons Light DME
1oz Mighty Julius Hops at 30mins
1oz Mighty Julius Hops at 15mins
Added DME at end of boil
One packet of US-05 fermented at 64 degrees for 2 weeks.

Loving this extract short boil method. Next I'm going to try your German Wheat @JesterMage

5.jpg

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
So follow up on this brew I poster earlier... this was my first time leaving the kits behind and compiling ingredients on my own. Not sure if it was freshness, or sticking with DME (no LME), or maybe a combo, but this beer is so much cleaner tasting. I have also honed in temp control during fermentation with an ink bird so it's probably a combo of all of these things. Just thought I would share. This hobby has some learning curve, but when you see progress like this, it really invigorates you to brew more.

JesterMage

Reaction score
I have an Inkbird but it is only for one room. I am coming into that time of year where the basement is cold and the upper floors are warmer so hopefully I will be able to regulate my Temps better.

That is one good-looking class of beer you have there

OP
D

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
I brewed favorite recipe today. I brewed "JB Gold," a recipe I made to feature John Bull malt extract and East Kent Goldings and Stryian Goldings hops. Well, John Bull extract isn't around and Stryian Goldings became Stryian Celeia, but I still like the ale this makes.

5 1/2 gal. water
5 lbs. Muntons amber DME (John Bull was darker than the average malt extract)
1/2 lb. 60L crystal malt
1/4 lb. pale malt
1 1/2 oz. East Kent Goldings alpha 4.4 for the boil, adjusted HBUs 7.3
1/2 oz. Stryian Celeia for flavor
1/2 oz. Stryian Celeia for aroma
1 Muntons ale yeast

Dissolve 2 1/2 lbs. DME in 1/2 gal. water for late addition
Dissolve 2 1/2 lbs. DME in 1 gal. water for the boil, begin heating
Toast pale malt for 10 min. at 350 F, crack grains
Steep all grains in 1/2 gal. water for 30 min. at 150-160 F
Strain into boil kettle, bring to boil, add boil hops
30 min. boil
10 min. flavor hops
0 min. add late addition and aroma hops
Cover and move to sink for water bath cool down
Pour into fermenter, top off to 5 gal. with chilled water

HBU adjustment: 6.6 - 10% for 30 min. boil and + 20% for late addition of half the extract

This batch will be "Pilgrim Pale" for Thanksgiving. Next week I'll brew this again as "Santa's Helper" for a Christmas brew. "Pilgrim Pale" will be put through a secondary, but "Santa's Helper" will not. In December I'll compare the two.
286.png
287.png

Last edited:

Latest posts