I brewed a favorite recipe today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
I think I'd like a thread posting favorite extract recipes and brews that I might like too. So here's one:

Today I brewed "Edmond's"
I've brewed this a number of times, but this is only the second time with Challenger hops. It was excellent the first time which happened because East Kent Goldings were in short supply. It's based on Charlie Papazian's "Jack's Union Classic Pale Ale."

5 1/2 gal. water
5 lbs. Munton's light DME
1 lb. 40L crystal malt
1 oz. Fuggles & 1/2 oz. Challenger (boli) 6.9 HBU
1/2 oz Challenger (flavor)
1 oz Challenger (aroma)
2 tsp. gypsum
1 Safebrew S-33 ale yeast

Steep grains for 30 min. @ 150-160
60 min. boil
15 min. flavor hops
2 min aroma hops

I do a partial boil of 1 1/2 gal. Yes, I still refer to HBUs. No, I don't take gravity readings.

Edmond's.png

Last edited:
I brewed a favorite today, but I wish somebody else had posted a favorite on this thread. Well, we'll see.

Today I brewed "Red Queen."
This is based on Charlie Papazian's "Palace Bitter" with the grain changed from crystal malt to both roasted and crystal malts. This time around there was further changes to account for low AA Fuggles, Stryian Goldings disappearing and Stryian Celeia also with low AA. Since the Fuggles and Celeia were also used in another, previous brew, I got some Willamette to fill in. The roasted and crystal malts produce a beautiful red color.

5 1/2 gal. water
4 1/2 lbs Munton's light DME
1/4 lb. 40L crystal malt
1/4 lb. roasted malt
1 oz. Willamette AA 6.0 & 1/4 oz. Fuggles AA 1.6 (boil) 6.4 HBU
3/4 oz, Willamette & 1/2 oz. Fuggles (bitterness & flavor)
1/4 oz, Willamette & 1/4 oz, Stryian Celeia (aroma)
1 SafAle S-33 ale yeast (I usually use Nottingham on this brew.)

60 min. boil
30 min 1/4 oz. Willamette & 1/2 oz. Fuggles
15 min. 1/2 oz. Willamette
2 min. aroma hops.

I do a partial boil of 1 1/2 gal. Yes, I refer to HBUs. No, I don't do gravity readings.

IRA.png

Last edited:
Do you boil the DME all of the 60 minutes?
Yes. I've tried late addition, but it creates too much of a mess. Pouring DME into hot wort makes a DME dust cloud that settles all over. I brew in the kitchen, so I don't do that.

By the way, I noticed that the recipe says "roasted malt" when it should had said "roasted barley."

Last edited:
If you want to say "These go to eleven" about your beer, this recipe might be for you.
I brewed a favorite recipe today, but not the way I usually brew it. Usually I use East Kent Goldings hops and Nottingham yeast. It's always good, and I enjoy the name. This is "Spinale"

5 1/2 gal.. water
2 tsp gypsum
1 oz. Perle, alpha 8.9, and 2/3+ oz. Tettnang, alpha 3.1 (boil) 11 HBU
1/2+,oz. Tettnang (flavor)
3/4 oz. Tettnang (aroma)
1 SafAle S33 ale yeast

60 min. boil
15 min. flavor hops
2 min. aroma hops

I do a partial boil of 11/2 gal. Yes, I refer to HBUs. No, I don't do gravity readings.

The reason I used Tettnang this time is that I like the hop and when I ordered my last batch of supplies I wanted a Brew featuring it. The reason for the S-33 yeast is that at that same time I was put out by the price jumps Nottingham has been taking. (It used to be a cheap yeast.) Anyway, if you want to go to eleven, I recommend EKG and Notty. I don't know how this one will turn out.

spinale.png

Last edited:
Today I brewed my IPA recipe, which I am currently labeling as "Peter Cotton Ale."

5 1/2 gal. of water
3 lbs. amber & 2 lbs. light Munton's DME (usually it's all amber)
1/4 lb pale malt
1 oz. Nugget alpha 14.2 for the boil, HBU discussed later
1 oz, East Kent Goldings for flavor
1 oz. East Kent Goldings for aroma
1 SafAle S-33 ale yeast

Toast pale malt for 10 min. at 350 F
Crush the grains and steep for 30 min. at 150-160 F
Strain into 1 gal. water with half the malt already dissolved in it, which has been heating during the steep
30 min. boil
15 min. flavor hops
2 min. aroma hops
Pour into fermenter with 1 gal. water with the other half of the DME dissolved in it.
Add remaining 3 gal. of water (This I do in the basement to avoid trying to carry the whole batch down the stairs.)

I've never done this type of a late addition before, but I wanted to try it and the 30 minute boil. Ordinarily The HBUs for this would have been 14.2. The rule of thumb methods I found suggest that the 30 minute boil will get 90% of a 60 minute boil, and that you reduce hops by 20% for doing a 50% late addition. So I estimating the HBUs at 15.6.

I do a partial boil of 1 1/2 gallons. Yes, I refer to HBUs. No, I don't do gravity readings.

I don't know if the toasted malt has a great effect on the finished beer. I brewed this without it
several times and still liked it. But toasting the malt sure make the kitchen smell good.

IPA.png

Last edited:
Today I brewed my IPA recipe, which I am currently labeling as "Peter Cotton Ale."

5 1/2 gal. of water
3 lbs. amber & 2 lbs. light Munton's DME (usually it's all amber)
1/4 lb pale malt
1 oz. Nugget alpha 14.2 for the boil, HBU discussed later
1 oz, East Kent Goldings for flavor
1 oz. East Kent Goldings for aroma
1 SafAle S-33 ale yeast

Toast pale malt for 10 min. at 350 F
Crush the grains and steep for 30 min. at 150-160 F
Strain into 1 gal. water with half the malt already dissolved in it, which has been heating during the steep
30 min. boil
15 min. flavor hops
2 min. aroma hops
Pour into fermenter with 1 gal. water with the other half of the DME dissolved in it.
Add remaining 3 gal. of water (This I do in the basement to avoid trying to carry the whole batch down the stairs.)

I've never done this type of a late addition before, but I wanted to try it and the 30 minute boil. Ordinarily The HBUs for this would have been 14.2. The rule of thumb methods I found suggest that the 30 minute boil will get 90% of a 60 minute boil, and that you reduce hops by 20% for doing a 50% late addition. So I estimating the HBUs at 15.6.

I do a partial boil of 1 1/2 gallons. Yes, I refer to HBUs. No, I don't do gravity readings.

I don't know if the toasted malt has a great effect on the finished beer. I brewed this without it
several times and still liked it. But toasting the malt sure make the kitchen smell good.

View attachment 724048

Sounds awesome! Let us know how it turns out.
I just picked up some light Muntuns DME for my next brew's base as well. I'm also interested in that 30min boil... so let me know if you like that better than a 60min as I am trying to throw together my first recipe and leave the kits behind.

I'm also interested in that 30min boil... so let me know if you like that better than a 60min

Well, it'll be about four weeks before I taste it, but it doesn't have to be judged better, just not worse, because the shorter boil is a plus. My guess is that I won't really notice any difference.

Today I brewed "Summer Ale." It is adjusted from my usual to do a 30 minute boil.

5 1/2 gal.water
5 lbs. Munton's amber DME
2 tsp. gypsum
1 oz. Centennial alpha 9.9 for the boil
1/2 oz. Cascades for aroma
1 US-05 ale yeast

2 1/2 lbs. DME dissolved in 1/2 gal. water for late addition
2 1/2 lbs. DME dissolved in 1 1/2 gal. for the boil
30 min. boil
2 min. aroma hops
Pour into fermenter with late addition and wait 10 minutes
Cool in sink and then top to 5 gal.

I figure the adjusted HBUs to be 10.9 (9.9 -10% for 30 min. boil and + 20% for late addition)
With little boil off and no steeping grains, there will probably be extra water.
I often use Briess for this brew; it fits the U.S character.

Next Saturday I will brew this same recipe, but it won't be transferred to a secondary. In about six weeks I'll be drinking these Summer Ales to see if I prefer one method over the other.

Untitled.png

Adding 2.5 lb DME to 0.5 gal water, then adding the concentrated wort at the end of the boil is something that I haven't seen before. Is this something that you normally do?

No, this is something new I first did in the previous "Peter Cotton Ale" brew. The 10 minute wait before cooling (in cold water in the sink) is to possibly allow for pasteurizing the addition. I expect to be dropping that hold time. The whole idea is to benefit from the late addition without actually adding powdery DME to hot liquid. The late addition allows me to do a 30 minute boil. I decided to try this because a couple of other HBT threads got me thinking about it.

Sounds awesome! Let us know how it turns out.
I'm also interested in that 30min boil... so let me know . . .

The 30 minute boil "Peter Cotton Ale" was fine in the first tasting yesterday. As I expected, I don't see it as different from usual. A side by side comparison (which won't happen) might prove otherwise, but so far I'm convinced that I'll be moving my brewing to this 30 minute boil method. If I see this differently as this ages, I'll report back.

Also, @BrewnWKopperKat and @Brews and Blues, the "Summer Ale" I brewed last week and will brew again tomorrow, are 30 minute boils with my version of late addition like "Peter Cotton Ale." I will post about those in early June.

Last edited:
Revisited a favorite recipe - a Moose Drool inspired Brown Ale:

1 gal "test batch"

RO/distilled water with 0.2g CaCl at "flame-on".
30 min boil; 1.25 gal (pre-boil); 1.0 gal to fermenter
OG/FG: 55/14;
IBUs: ~ 33 (Tensisth)

20 oz Briess Pilsen DME
3.0 oz English Medium Crystal Malt
1.0 oz Chocolate Malt
0.3 oz Midnight Wheat

14 g Willamette (4 AA) @ 30
7 g Willamette (4 AA) @ 5
7 g Liberty (5 AA) @ 1

Yeast: S-04.

Ingredient notes:
  • CaCl addition is specific to Briess DME (with a different brand of DME, I'd use a different amount). I may do some additional "in the glass" adjustments.
  • Pilsen DME was what was available (next time, maybe "Pale Ale" (not "Golden Light") DME).
  • English Medium Crystal was what was available (it's "close enough" to Crystal 60L).
Process Notes:
  • Steeped specialty malts in 0.75 gal water (+ CaCl) for 20 minutes while heating towards 140F. Measured SG (refractometer) at end of steep: ~ 5 (in 0.75 gal).
  • Made a slurry (secondary container) with the DME and 0.5 gal water (at 65F). At end of steep, added DME to primary kettle, Measured SG (refractometer): ~ 47 (in 1.25 gal).
  • Heated wort slowly to boil, observing (visual, aroma) wort as it heated to a boil.
Creating a slurry in a secondary container worked well.

Creating a slurry in a secondary container worked well.

I found the malt disolves better in a big bowl than my flat bottom brew kettle. It just takes care of itself while I tend the pot.

Your Moose Drool take sounds good. I may have to adapt that for my next brown. Thanks for posting. :mug:

Last edited:
I brewed favorite recipe today; I again brewed "Peter Cotton Ale." but with a change in the handling of the aroma hops.

5 1/2 gal. of water
5 lbs. Munton's amber DME
2 tsp. gypsum
1/4lb. pale malt
1 oz. Nugget alpha 14.2 for the boil
1oz. East Kent Goldings for flavor
1 oz. East Kent Goldings apr aroma
1 S-33 ale yeast

Dissolve 2 1/2 lbs. DME in 1/2 gal. water for late addition.
Dissolve 2 1/2 lbs. DME and 2 tsp. gypsum, in 1 gal. for boil, begin heating.
Toast pale malt for 10 min. at 350 F.
Crack grains and steep in 1/2 gal. of water for 30 min. at 150 to 160 F.
Strain into kettle with water that has been heating, bring to boil, and add boiling hops.
30 min. boil.
10 min. flavor hops.
Pour into fermenter and add aroma hops and late addition extract.
Cool in sink bath until warm before topping to 5 gal. with cold water.

I expected and had extra water. There is little boil off and only a small amount of grains steeped.
The sink cool down, during which the aroma hops are steeping, is to get the wort to about 110 F so that the cold water (3 gal. put in freezer and 1/2 gal. set aide at start of brewing) can bring the wort to about 70 F for pitching. I've never tried this way of adding aroma hops, but the late extract addition bringing the wort to about 170 before the cool down period seemed set for it.
HBU estimate: 14.2 -10% for 30 min. boil + 20% for late additiion = 15.2 HBU.

Next Wednesday I'll brew this recipe again, but it won't be transferred to a secondary. In about six weeks I'll be drinking these Peter Cotton Ales to see if I notice a difference in them.

280.png
281.png

@madscientist451 I thought you might be interested in this. I moved to a 30 minute boil in post #8, a previous Peter Cotton Ale.

Last edited:
Today I compared Summer Ales #278 and #279. The difference in the brews is that #278 was racked to a secondary and #279 was not. #278 has been bottled for 4 weeks; #279 has been bottled for 3 weeks. They are both good, but so far my preference is for #278's smoother taste. You can see from the picture that #278 has been oxidized by it's extra exposure to air due to the use of a secondary. I know this. We'll see if my preference holds when I compare my IPAs, #280 and #281, next month.
278&279.png

Edit: There is more information on this in "What does a secondary fermenter do?" on the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum. The preference changes at 6 weeks, and back at 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Today I compared Summer Ales #278 and #279. The difference in the brews is that #278 was racked to a secondary and #279 was not. #278 has been bottled for 4 weeks; #279 has been bottled for 3 weeks. They are both good, but so far my preference is for #278's smoother taste. You can see from the picture that #278 has been oxidized by it's extra exposure to air due to the use of a secondary. I know this. We'll see if my preference holds when I compare my IPAs, #280 and #281, next month.
View attachment 731601

You may find that the difference in the smoother taste is from the extra week in the bottle instead of the fact that you used a secondary and that the beer that had been in secondary and had extra oxygen exposure will go downhill as the oxidation progresses.

I think I'd like a thread posting favorite extract recipes and brews that I might like too.
Me too. Maybe follow-up discussion on specific batches (like #20 & #21) is better in linked topics.

If we decide on this approach (separate topic for discussion), I have a question: What did you do to get that beer so clear?

eta: Noticed this over in another topic: What does a secondary fermenter do?

Last edited:
Me too. Maybe follow-up discussion on specific batches (like #20 & #21) is better in linked topics.

If we decide on this approach (separate topic for discussion), I have a question: What did you do to get that beer so clear?

eta: Noticed this over in another topic: What does a secondary fermenter do?
Yes, post #20 wasn't meant as discussion, but as the conclusion of what I said I was doing in post #11. The discussion is on "What does a secondary fermenter do?" I don't know how to link topics (it's not just my brewing that's old school :) ), but, if you can set that up, I will respond there.

I brewed a favorite today, but I wish somebody else had posted a favorite on this thread. Well, we'll see.

Today I brewed "Red Queen."
This is based on Charlie Papazian's "Palace Bitter" with the grain changed from crystal malt to both roasted and crystal malts. This time around there was further changes to account for low AA Fuggles, Stryian Goldings disappearing and Stryian Celeia also with low AA. Since the Fuggles and Celeia were also used in another, previous brew, I got some Willamette to fill in. The roasted and crystal malts produce a beautiful red color.

5 1/2 gal. water
4 1/2 lbs Munton's light DME
1/4 lb. 40L crystal malt
1/4 lb. roasted malt
1 oz. Willamette AA 6.0 & 1/4 oz. Fuggles AA 1.6 (boil) 6.4 HBU
3/4 oz, Willamette & 1/2 oz. Fuggles (bitterness & flavor)
1/4 oz, Willamette & 1/4 oz, Stryian Celeia (aroma)
1 SafAle S-33 ale yeast (I usually use Nottingham on this brew.)

60 min. boil
30 min 1/4 oz. Willamette & 1/2 oz. Fuggles
15 min. 1/2 oz. Willamette
2 min. aroma hops.

I do a partial boil of 1 1/2 gal. Yes, I refer to HBUs. No, I don't do gravity readings.

View attachment 717642
This, I think, I will try. I have one more to do for SWIMBO then it is my turn.
Thanks for this.

Today I brewed a favorite recipe. I brewed a version of Charlie Papazian's "Palace Bitter." Over the years I've brewed this (or versions if it) more than any other recipe. This time there are adjustments for a 30 minute boil, late extract addition, and the hops used.

5 1/2 gal. water
4 1/2 lbs. Munton's light DME
3/4 lb. 40L crystal malt
1 oz. Fuggles alpha 4.7 and 1/2 oz. Willamette alpha 6.0 for the boil
1/2 oz. Stryian Celeia for flavor
1/2 oz. Stryian Celeia for aroma
1 Nottingham ale yeast

Dissolve 2 1/4 lbs. DME in 1/2 gal. water for late addition
Dissolve 2 1/4 lbs. DME in 1 gal. for boil, begin heating
Steep grains in 1/2 gal water for 30 min. at 150-160 F
Strain into kettle with water and dissolved extract that has been warming and bring to boil
30 min. boil
10 min. flavor hops
Pour into fermenter with late addition extract and add aroma hops
Cool in sink bath before topping to 5 gal with cold water

! figure the adjusted HBUs to be 8.5 (7.7 - 10% for 30 min. boil and +20% for late addition.)

Next Monday I will brew this again, but that batch will be subjected to a transfer to a secondary. In September, I'll be comparing these two bitters to see If i prefer one to the other. (The actual label for #282 has been corrected to show a 8/2021 bottling date.)

282.png
283.png

Last edited:
I think I am going to love this thread. I will post one I did for my wife, hopefully, later today. I would like to get more people posting their favorites.

This is my wife's favorite beer right now. I threw this together with a bunch of leftover stuff from other brews. She says likes it better than Heineken light and the new Blue Moon Lite.

Sweet Pea's Lite Ale I

2.5 gallons of water
2 lbs. Briess Sparkling Amber DME
1 oz. Briess Pilsen Light DME (to bump it up to 100 calories)
2-4 oz. Rolled Oats
4-8 oz. Caramel malt 80L
.25-.50 oz. Hallertauer (first wort)
.25 oz. Hallertauer (flavor)
.25 oz. Hallertauer (aroma)
1 oz. Lemon Peel
1 oz. Orange Peel
1 tsp. Coriander (ground)
2 oz. Vodka for soaking peels
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Nottingham ale yeast

Dissolve 1 lbs. 12 oz. of the Sparkling Amber DME and Light Pilsen DME in water for adding to wort after flameout

Steep the oats and caramel for 30 min at 150-170
First wort hops and 4 oz. of Amber DME
30 min boil
15 min flavor hops
2 min aroma hops +15 min steep
.3 oz. orange,.3 oz. lemon peel and coriander at flame out. Steep 15 min.
Vanilla once the 15 min steep is done and when you start to cool wort OR at bottling time
Pitch yeast

Add .3 oz. orange and .3 oz. lemon peel that have been simmered in hot water for a few minutes to extract the oils, to the primary fermenter after the the fermentation process has slowed down; about 4 or 5 days.

Cover the remaining peels in vodka for a week or so and add to bottling bucket or keg.

This should get you close to 3% ABV and 100 calories

I do a 1.5 gallon partial boil ant top up to 2.5 gallons

I am making up a batch this weekend and then I am going to brew up one where I replace all the peels and Hallertauer hops with mandarina, lemondrop and meridian hops.

I brewed a favorite recipe today. I again brewed "Red Queen" my Irish red ale. This time I brewed it with my now standard 30 minute boil and late addition. This brew is really just the "Palace Bitters" brewed in my last posting (#27) with the grains changed to roasted barley and crystal malt.

5 1/2 gal. water
4 1/2 lbs. Muntons light DME
1/4 lb. 40L crystal malt
1/4 lb. roasted barley
1 oz. Fuggles alpha 4.7 and 1/2 oz. Willamette alpha 6.0 for the boil. Adjusted HBUs 8.5.
1/2 oz, Stryian Celeia for flavor
1/2 oz. Stryian Celeia for aroma
1 pkg. Nottingham ale yeast

Dissolve 2.1/4 lbs DME in 1/2 gal. water for late addation
Dissolve 2 1/4 lbs. DME in 1 gal. of water for boil, begin heating
Steep grains in 1/2 gal. of water for 30 min. at 150-160 F
Strain into kettle and bring to boil
30 min. boil
10 min. flavor hops
Flame out add late addition and aroma hops
Cover and move to sink for water bath cool down
Pour into fermenter and top off to 5 gal. with chilled water.

The HBUs are adjusted down 10% for the 30 min. boil and up 20% for the late addition.
The cool down in the brew kettle was new this time.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I think I'd like a thread posting favorite extract recipes and brews that I might like too. So here's one:

Today I brewed "Edmond's"
I've brewed this a number of times, but this is only the second time with Challenger hops. It was excellent the first time which happened because East Kent Goldings were in short supply. It's based on Charlie Papazian's "Jack's Union Classic Pale Ale."

5 1/2 gal. water
1 lb. 40L crystal malt
1 oz. Fuggles & 1/2 oz. Challenger (boli) 6.9 HBU
1/2 oz Challenger (flavor)
1 oz Challenger (aroma)
2 tsp. gypsum
1 Safebrew S-33 ale yeast

60 min. boil
15 min. flavor hops
2 min aroma hops

I do a partial boil of 1 1/2 gal. Yes, I still refer to HBUs. No, I don't take gravity readings.

View attachment 711188
This sounds great. Is it anything like Bass Pale Ale? I adore that beer.

This sounds great. Is it anything like Bass Pale Ale? I adore that beer.
I certainly like it. I think Bass is more heavily hopped and browner, perhaps from a sugar.
By the way, if you do brew this, I think this recipe is better with Nottingham than S33 yeast.

Last edited:
I certainly like it. I think Bass is more heavily hopped and browner, perhaps from a sugar.
By the way, if you do brew this, I think this recipe is better with Nottingham than S33 yeast.
Well that's perfect. I just bought a packet of Nottingham. I'm using harvested Voss Kveik for my next brew, but Nottingham is coming up.

Today I brewed one of my best beers. I brewed a German Wheat. This is super simple and carbs up fast.

2.5 gal of water
3 lbs. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
.5 oz. Mandarina Bavaria hops
5.5 g. LalBrew Munich Classic yeast

Dissolve 2.5 lbs of the DME in 1 quart of water for a late addition.
Dissolve 1/2 lbs in 1.75 gallons of water in a brew pot and bring to a boil.
Once pot is boiling add hops and boil for 30 min (you can do this as a first-wort addition also)
At flameout add dissolved late addition DME let it set for 10 min and chill.
Add wort to fermentor and top up with cold water to 2.5 gallons
Pitch yeast

Next time I brew this I am going to replace the hops with Meridian or Lemondrop

This beer had excellent head retention and just a hint of orange to go with the banana and cloves from the yeast.

German Wheat.jpg

Today I brewed one of my best beers. I brewed a German Wheat. This is super simple and carbs up fast.

2.5 gal of water
3 lbs. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
.5 oz. Mandarina Bavaria hops
5.5 g. LalBrew Munich Classic yeast

Dissolve 2.5 lbs of the DME in 1 quart of water for a late addition.
Dissolve 1/2 lbs in 1.75 gallons of water in a brew pot and bring to a boil.
Once pot is boiling add hops and boil for 30 min (you can do this as a first-wort addition also)
At flameout add dissolved late addition DME let it set for 10 min and chill.
Add wort to fermentor and top up with cold water to 2.5 gallons
Pitch yeast

Next time I brew this I am going to replace the hops with Meridian or Lemondrop

This beer had excellent head retention and just a hint of orange to go with the banana and cloves from the yeast.

View attachment 740877

I am definitely going to try this soon! Thanks for sharing.

I just did what I'm calling a pseudo-SMASH beer with this exact method but a 5 gallon batch.
1 oz of Mighty Julius hops at beginning of 30 min boil, added another oz at 15 mins, topped off with 6lbs of Muntons light DME and more water after boil termination.
11g of US-05 and currently on day 4 of fermentation.
I'm really excited for the results. Such an easy brew day and easy ingredient list.

I am really loving the brewing hobby but simple, quick brews like this help really keep me into it. Your recipe here will be my next brew! I may also take your suggestion on the Lemondrop hops.

I just did what I'm calling a pseudo-SMASH beer with this exact method but a 5 gallon batch.
1 oz of Mighty Julius hops at beginning of 30 min boil, added another oz at 15 mins, topped off with 6lbs of Muntons light DME and more water after boil termination.
I'm really excited for the results. Such an easy brew day and easy ingredient list.

I am really loving the brewing hobby but simple, quick brews like this help really keep me into it. Your recipe here will be my next brew! I may also take your suggestion on the Lemondrop hops.
The fermentation on this one for me was insane. It was the first time I had use a blowoff tube

Once you are done and if it turns out good, you should post it here so others can try it. I am always looking for something fast and simple. There are just some days I want a fast and simple brew day

Extract Bourbon Stout
I originally saw this recipe on a Basic Brewing video
2 gallon recipe:

3 gallons water:
Steep 30 Mins
8 oz Brown Malt
8 oz Black Patent
8 oz Chocolate malt

Add 3.3 lbs Munich LME
1 lb Pilsen light
60 min boil
1 oz fuggles at 60 min
Add 3 oz expensive bourbon at bottling

I made some changes:
I used BlackPrinz instead of Black Patent
I used Dark DME instead of LME
I boiled for 30 minutes and used 1 oz homegrown Brewer's Gold hops
I soaked Jack Daniel's barrel chips in about 4 oz of Rebel Yell bourbon
Add chips to the keg in metal canister, let it sit a few weeks and then added bourbon to taste, I probably added about 2 oz. I just wanted a hint of bourbon character.

The Beer came out very good and was going to make it again but haven't got back to it.

Back