I bought my first 50# bag of base malt today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
After 30 batches now, I bought my first 50# bag of 2 row base malt today. I feel like I'm moving up to the next level in brewing and I have an overwhelming feeling of security with all that base malt in the back room.

Makes you feel warm and fuzzy dont it? What was the $$? My LHBS has horrible per pound prices, but I can get a 50# sack there for $40...

It makes you know that you will use at least that amount. The year is young and that is only two and a half 10 gallon batches! You will be at 200 gallons before you know it!

Yes it is suprising how fast a sack disappears. I brew 5g batches and still seem to go through 50# in a couple of months. Currently working my way through a sack of pilnser malt, Maris Otter and wheat.

GT

So, what are yall getting youf 50# sacks for? Outside of true BULK buys, what is it costing you to get a single sack of 2-row, Maris etc...

The best I can find for a 55# sack of MO is $61, about the same as midwest, but I can save on their huge shipping costs. Now, though I can go pick it up from the LHBS. There are only two stores within reasonable range of me, and both us L D Carlson as their suppliers. That means I have to go through Carlson's online catalogue, take down the stock numbers, then call the LHBS with those numbers to get the prices, decide what I still want to buy from them, then I can FINALLY make my order with them so that they can pick it up and keep it back for me then call me when they have it. What a bloody work up!!

In answer to the OP, yes, I couldn't stop looking at my first ever bag! :D

These aren't good prices or anything but:
I recently bought a 40# sack (which isn't really a sack I guess) of German Pils for $57 but the shipping was nothing...that's a pretty rude price but I was just taking advantage of a sale and low shipping. I also just bought a 55# sack of Maris Otter for $60 at 'regular' shipping rates. Both of these from from the 'bigger' online HBS. Which one do you think I normally order from?:D

Cool I was curious because I can get 50# sacks for $40 down the street... I dont need any now, but in the future of course.

My LHBS sells 2 row for about $58, with my club discount it is about $52. If I stop by the Michigan brewery, they sell the same sack of grain for $38.

Linc

Sacks of what Pol? It's prob wasting money but I've been trying to stick with either Weyermann or a reputable supplier of Maris Otter (I might try Golden Promise next time).

When I paid that much money for 40# of 'German Pils' the supplier didn't even show the brand:mad:...the other supplier that has the decent prices (the MO I bought for $60) does and that's important to me. If I buy 'German Pils' I want to know that it's Weyermann.

I can't remember ever buying much of the domestic malts...I'm not sure I could even tell the difference though. Is there?

I cannot personally tell a difference between the domestic and imported malts. I am talking about Rahr and Muntons. I cant tell a difference in malts... my brewing practices probably have more of an affect on the flavor of my beer.

I was wondering if I can get a domestic pale malt and just mash at a higher temp to get it closer to MO in taste. Am I just being retarded?

Am I just being retarded?

I'm still trying to figure that out...

I have priced 50# sacks of 2-row and it's running $40 from the LHBSs I can go to. I bought it for that same price from Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City, which was nice because I was in town that day, and there is no good LHBS up there to buy them from.

MO seems to be anywhere from $60 on up, but I haven't brewed with it yet.

I guess I should reconsider the malt prices I pay. I always thought the price were ridiculous. I live within 1 hour of Midwest and Northern Brewer. I work in the same area that they are located so I can stop by when ever I need to. I also have a brew shop that sells me Briess 2 Row at $27.00 per 50 lbs that is located within 20 min of my house. I didn't post to brag, but damn am I happy now after reading what you guys pay.

I was wondering if I can get a domestic pale malt and just mash at a higher temp to get it closer to MO in taste. Am I just being retarded?

MO is a barley cultivar and it won't taste much different from a domestic 2 row unless it was malted differently - which it was if you get it from an English maltster such as Crisp. It is the malting process that imparts that distinctive flavour, mashing at a higher temperature will increase the body but will not imitate the flavour.

GT

MO is a barley cultivar and it won't taste much different from a domestic 2 row unless it was malted differently - which it was if you get it from an English maltster such as Crisp. It is the malting process that imparts that distinctive flavour, mashing at a higher temperature will increase the body but will not imitate the flavour.

GT

Thanks, GT That info will save me that experiment for the time being then. As it won't work for what I'm trying to acheive right now. :)

Back