I bought a used CO2 tank off but......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompbox

Served up in the backyard
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a cheap CO2 and bought it but it is far outdated (last certified 12/98) and I have no idea how many pounds it is.

1. How can I tell what size this is? It is a STEEL tank that is about 14" tall x 5" diameter. I am not even sure I can exchange a 2.5 pound tank when this is empty.

2. This tank is past its cert date but it feels like it is or about full. Is the CO2 good to use, keep in mind that it could be as old as '98.

I am sure I will have many questsions later, i am an absolute newb to the kegging world.

Thanks!

If you want 100% answers on size and certification you will have to take it to your local welding supply house. They are also the ones that would exchange it for you when it is empty. The CO2 is still fine to use. It doesn't go bad.

Can you get us a photo of any markings around the top of the tank?

If it's a steel tank and you aren't interested in keeping the same one just use it until it's empty and exchange it.
Co2 isn't going to go bad.

-cheers

agree with above posts, the co2 won't go bad - its a gas not a tank full of milk. The tank will be stamped with a weight somewhere. look around for a fire extinguisher testing place that will recirt tanks, they will pressure test it and fill it for you.

If it's a steel tank and you aren't interested in keeping the same one just use it until it's empty and exchange it.
Co2 isn't going to go bad.

-cheers

I am not sure that my local beer distributor has 2.5 pound tanks for exchange.... That is why I want to know its size.

I will get some photos posted in a little bit... Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure it's a 5 also. My 15 steel is about 6.5" diameter x 22" tall.

Use up the rest and then exchange it. Some exchange places will charge you for bringing in an expired hydro because they now have to have it done. Around here, if you just want to keep your tank you can pay $12 to have the hydro/stamp done.

I just brought in my out-of-date 10# CO2 tank to Airgas, they charge $25 to hydro test it.

However, if they do an even swap with you, they sometimes forgo/overlook the hydro-test. (That's what happened to me with my 20#).

I'd just give that tank a light sanding to remove the rust, a quick spray of the same color paint, and trade it right up.... Provided they have that size in stock.

My Airgas place doesn't keep 10#, but they do fill 'em on site. That's why he checked the date on my and told me I needed a hydro-test.

M_C

I bought a couple old steel tanks off craigslist, and exchanged them at the local welding supply place. I cleaned them up pretty well, but they still noticed the date and I had to pay an extra ~$15 for the hydro cert. I always ask for a clean looking aluminum tank when I swap, and they're always happy to dig through to find one for me. Much lighter to transport, and doesn't get rust and grease on everything it touches like the nasty old steel ones did.

If you go to airgas, I know all the ones I have been to don't allow the tanks to be brought into the store. So most of the time when swaping they don't even look to factor in testing dates! On your first exchange you may deal with this because you might have to have someone come out and verify what size you have first. But most of the time they don't care anyway!

I had a 10# tank that I have exchanged a few times, but this last time they didn't have any. Because it was still in my truck I had already paid for it. The guy offered to swap the 10 for a 5 and give me the difference back. I declined as I didn't want to go down in size... then asked if he'd be willing to trade up to a 20# tank and he said "Uh, yeah... sure we can do that". So I got a 20lb tank in exchange!

Here is the scoop on the difference at my airgas! 5# tank swap is $14, 10# is $18, 20# is $20!!! I'll take twice the gas for $2 more anyday!

So on your next exchange if they don't have your tank, try and trade up!

Back