I am Slav hear me roar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkasi

Reaction score
Here is a label I made for my IPA. I will be using Polish and other "Slavic" images as my background for future beers but I would like to develop a standard format for every beer. I don't have a good format to save the image into so it looks really pixilated here but much better on my home computer. I borrowed themes from several locations. Thanks to Buford for the www.dafont.com website. Suggestions, comments, complaints all taken...

SBC-1.jpg

Buford said:
I like the crest in the back - what is that?

That's the White Eagle found on the Polish flag. My mother would be very proud. I will have do do a similar one with a Slovanian flag in the background or my father will be none to pleased with me.

Ya know? The premise is good, but I have to ask: are the Poles Slavs? The Hungarians are Magyars, they don't call their country Magyaria but that has nothing to do with this conversation so I won't bring it up again...

An IPA reeks Great Britain in me bloody boots all the way to...well, India.

Your Smoky Brewing Co. name seems way out of place for the European theme going on...OK, I'm drunk. But your label takes me to 6 places on the globe. There's no cohesion or continuity of an idea. IMDO - In My Drunken Opinion. Did I just create a new acronym?:confused: :drunk:

Sorry to poo on your idea. I am really not one to do that...can I blame my behavior on the really good homebrew that I'm drinking?:D :drunk:

homebrewer_99 said:
Ya know? The premise is good, but I have to ask: are the Poles Slavs? The Hungarians are Magyars, they don't call their country Magyaria but that has nothing to do with this conversation so I won't bring it up again...

An IPA reeks Great Britain in me bloody boots all the way to...well, India.

Your Smoky Brewing Co. name seems way out of place for the European theme going on...OK, I'm drunk. But your label takes me to 6 places on the globe. There's no cohesion or continuity of an idea. IMDO - In My Drunken Opinion. Did I just create a new acronym?:confused: :drunk:

Sorry to poo on your idea. I am really not one to do that...can I blame my behavior on the really good homebrew that I'm drinking?:D :drunk:

Wow...thanks for the comments. It will be filed under complaints.

If you need a full explanation:

-The label says IPA because it was the most recent beer I brewed. I have not had the ability or opportunity to brew a "true" Pilsner or Eastern European style beer yet. I did do an extract bock recently but that was as close as I have gotten to a lager. The bock went through a lagering process. I am aware that IPA is British in origin, however I am not. I enjoy the beer and it is the most recent one I have made. I suppose I could have waited to post it for comments after I had made a true "Eastern European style" beer.

-Ethnically, linguistically, and historically, Poles are slavs. So are Slovenians, which makes up the other 50% of my heritage. You could also include people from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, parts of Germany, Croatia, Serbia, the Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, etc. I could have put "Brewed in the Slovenian-Polish Tradition" but that really doesn't make any sense. Around my parents and their respective families I always say I'm a "Slav" as opposed to Polish or Slovenian; that makes everyone happy I guess. "Brewed in the """Slavic""" Tradition" is slightly tongue-in-cheek but I do plan on starting to use Rose Hips (recently mentioned in another post) which were used in Poland (and other places as well) as a preservative before hops. Maybe even potatoes in a mini-mash...

-It actually says "Smoley," not "Smoky." Smoley is a Slovenian name, usually found as Smolej in Slovenia but it was changed by immigrants to the U.S who were looking to shed their European peasant stigma.

I hope that makes more cohesion to the idea, although I wasn't expecting to have to justify whether or not I had come up with a good idea. This is the first label I have posted. I originally posted this looking for some feedback on the label itself (color, fonts, size, format, etc.). It seems from every other label on this forum some good feedback was given about these sort of things, that was the kind of comments and complaints I was looking for. I guess I should be more specific about what I am looking for in the future.

It wasn't really a complaint...sort of, but more at an observation that there was no "theme" I guess would be the word I'm looking for.

I lived in Germany for 9 years, been to Serbia/Kosovo several times, Macedonia too, I used to drive to Ceske Budevice in the Czech Republic just to drink a Budvar in the city of its origin (of course they were overnight trips), been to Plzn also, but I think their beer is too bitter, also been to Poland several times. If I ever saw the word "IPA" there it would have been so out of place.

I misread the "Smoley" on the bottom in blue. I thought that was "Smokey". I think the use of blue was inappropriate though.

I really think your label would look great if you changed the blue color mentioned above (to black like the other lettering) and removed the IPA reference.

Sorry about the rough critique, but I thought I was helping you. ;)

Just remember, your last words were: "Suggestions, comments, complaints all taken..." :D

The best thing about the label IMO is the Polish Eagle on the red shield.

It needs to be up front and center, not relegated to a background layer.
Find another complimentary color for the background.

Work some of the other text around the image.

As for the IPA reference, avoid the controversy and just name your beer.

Not all beers prominently feature the style. A good name will be more memorable.

Here's a bizzare factoid linking India and Poles.

http://www.polesinindia.org/poles_in_india_page_1.htm

Back