I am not sure where I messed up....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDBUCKHUNTER

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

As my first batch, I brewed a Red Ale from Brewer's Best (Extract Kit). I followed the instructions to a tee and hit all my milestones. 1 Week in the Primary, 2 Weeks in the Secondary, F.G. leveled out and I bottled. Approximately 5 weeks into the conditioning process, I am still tasting something funny. If it is possible to explain the taste this way, it's almost hollow...or watered down. After having one, I get a headache and acid reflux. (I've never had acid reflux before)

On a side note, the beer tasted fantastic when switching it from primary to secondary and secondary to bottling bucket.

My cleaners are as follows: LD Carlson for Cleaning all equipment. Idopher for cleaning/sanitizing all equipment and bottles. All equipment was dry before I used it. The bottles....well.....they may have been a bit wet with Idopher still.

So where did I go wrong? I am actually drinking my second and third batch which taste awesome. I followed the steps exactly the same for each batch (as per instructions).

Should I dump it all after 5 weeks?

Thanks ahead of time! :mug:

sounds like your brew got to hot. any idea what the fermentation temps where? keep in mind that the fermentation was hotter than room temp for the first few days.

I sprinkled the yeast at 66, first day was at 66-68, the next day was 74-76. Then dropped from then on over 3 days down to 64 degrees.

Back