I am having second thoughts on my creation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
Will this taste OK? It is already done, so, I really cannot undo anything. I was after a really hoppy brew. But, I wonder if I should have added hops for aroma at the end of the boil.

Impatient IPA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
Category: India Pale Ale (IPA)
Subcategory: American IPA
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 7 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 91 %
Total Grain/Extract: 13.00 lbs.
Total Hops: 3.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 317.7
Cost to Brew: $30.00 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.56 (USD)

Ingredients
10 lbs. Munich Malt
3 lbs. Midwest Wheat Malt
3 oz. Cascade (Whole, 8.7 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham

Notes

Vital Statistics
Original Gravity: 1.080
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 14.31 SRM
Bitterness: 101.5 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 8.4 %

Yeah. You have no flavor or aroma hops in there at all. It is not going to have much hops flavor, but it should be plenty bitter.

Well, sure. But I think you'll find that this beer is going to be pretty darn sweet too. I mean that much munich is really an odd thing for an IPA.

Well, sure. But I think you'll find that this beer is going to be pretty darn sweet too. I mean that much munich is really an odd thing for an IPA.

I don't think it will be that sweet. I mashed in at 152 in order to get full conversion. I was 89% efficient at 1.081 for 5 gallons. I "think" I got good conversion.

No matter how you mash it, Munich is a highly kilned malt that will impart a lot of unfermentables and malt flavor. There are beers that use Munich as a majority of their grist, but these are all rich, heavy, malt forward styles.

I suspect it will be tasty, just not what most people would think of as an IPA.

No matter how you mash it, Munich is a highly kilned malt that will impart a lot of unfermentables and malt flavor. There are beers that use Munich as a majority of their grist, but these are all rich, heavy, malt forward styles.

To tell you the truth, I don't have the slightest on what to call it. I was just going on color, ibu's and gravity to match a style. IPA was the closest I could find.

I totally and completly agree with Shawn here and all his messages. As for naming it? A totally strange Americanized Alt? All bitter and no flavor- Ton o munich- You could make a few changes and subs and you could stumble on to an Alt or Amber...

Or just treat it like one of the IPAs granddaddys and dry hop it for 5-6 months. (The time it took from point A to B on the ships)
-Me

AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich it is!

Know this, after this beer turns out to be excellentee, and I submit this new style "AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich" to the BJCP. You get nothing for the name, nothing I say, nothing...

ahhh... heck with it... it will still be a very enjoyable beer.

I just don't get why some people worry and fuss so much over their beer recipes...

Maybe im just too... canadian... :ban:

No flavor hops, no aroma hops, definitely not an IPA. Sounds like an oversized Extra Special Bitter.

Dry hopping will not turn this into an IPA either. Fortunately, aroma and flavor hopping is not volume or gravity dependent, so you could start with a quart of water, boil an ounce of Cascades for 5 minutes. Strain & cool, add to the fermenter. That's your aroma. Boil the hops in another quart for another ten minutes. Strain & cool, add to the fermenter. That gives you flavor oils.

Not saying dry hopping won't help, but it won't make it hoppy all by itself.

I'd dry hop and make a Randall. Still won't be an IPA per say, but if you're looking for more hop flavor, it could help.

Does anyone have faith that this will be drinkable?

The worst homebrew I ever had is still better than a budlight!! Invite some friends over and pound that s**t down and make some adjustments and make an IPA!! Then drink that yourself or with other haomebrewers and "tell" your friends all about it!!!:D

Back