I am going to murder my thermometer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Did an expensive brew that I have been looking forward to for a long time. I had great efficiency, only small hiccups, and all seemed to be a good brew day. And then I looked at my thermometer in the boiling wort.

208F. Not 212F, 208F. I had calibrated it last month, and it is off again. So I checked it the next day against a better thermometer (digital meat thermometer). 162F read as 157F on my brewing therm. Yet, for some reason, it read 130F as 130F, no error. There is no linear or scalar progression to the error!

I think I am going to bury the old therm and get a new one. Something digital, making sure it can take boiling water, probably a candy thermometer as those need to be accurate.

My 150F mash, by my reasoning as the therm read 148F, was at 153F instead of 150F. Hopefully that does not screw up my FG too much, though I think it will. Crap crap crap crap. Rant rant rant rant.

Thank you for reading through my complaining. It is greatly appreciated. I feel better now.

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Something digital, making sure it can take boiling water, probably a candy thermometer as those need to be accurate.
Candy thermometers do need to be accurate, but in a completely different range than a brewing thermometer. So there is no guarantee that they would be accurate at 150F.

OP
T

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
True, soft ball is at around 235F. I guess I will search around Target and other spots for a good digital probe thermometer. I have a digital candy therm already that I can use for brewing, I will check it against other therms that I have.