I am going broke!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
I started brewing in late April of this year. Since I am easily near 90 gallons so far. I started doing extract with partial boils, the extract with full boils. Every time I went to my LHBS to pick up a recipe I wound up buying an extra 6.5 gallon carboy, which I have about 10 of now. Then came the extra fridge with the temperature regulator. Then I started making my own recipes. Yet that was not enough to cure me of my addiction. So off to the hardware store I went to buy a 52 qt cooler for my MLT. Then I decided it was time to brew out doors so online I bought the turkey fryer. I make my first AG batch and I am proud. As days go by I decide I don't want to bottle my AG batch, yes you guessed it off to my LHBS to buy a kegging system. Today I found my self looking a deep freezers since I want to free up my extra fridge to lager in (I have already done two lager batches, Czech Pils and Dopplebock). The more I do the more I want!!!!

Very true Steinsato... I just want to get to a point where there is nothing else I want to buy or build except ingredients. That will probably never happen though.

I think I have reached that point. Although I do still want a brew sculpture and possibly a 10 gallon setup, or atleast another 5 gallon setup so I can do two brews at once. Maybe a larger kegerator, and a chest freezer for fermentation control but other than that all I buy is ingredients :p

I started brewing in late April of this year. Since I am easily near 90 gallons so far. I started doing extract with partial boils, the extract with full boils. Every time I went to my LHBS to pick up a recipe I wound up buying an extra 6.5 gallon carboy, which I have about 10 of now. Then came the extra fridge with the temperature regulator. Then I started making my own recipes. Yet that was not enough to cure me of my addiction. So off to the hardware store I went to buy a 52 qt cooler for my MLT. Then I decided it was time to brew out doors so online I bought the turkey fryer. I make my first AG batch and I am proud. As days go by I decide I don't want to bottle my AG batch, yes you guessed it off to my LHBS to buy a kegging system. Today I found my self looking a deep freezers since I want to free up my extra fridge to lager in (I have already done two lager batches, Czech Pils and Dopplebock). The more I do the more I want!!!!

So...you're not married?;)

KayaBrew... I am married however, she is very supportive. Not to say she does not get pissed sometimes LOL..

Plus she only has her self to blame... She bought me my starter kit as an early fathers day gift at the end of April. If she only knew how addicting it would turn out!!!

Moving to 10 gallon batches is the next logical step. As the years go on, I have less time to brew so it is just so much nicer to double your batch size and it is not much more work at all. Might mean some equipment swap out though.

Joelsyales... I think your right. When it's brew day I ensure there is nothing else to do and my day is dedicated to just brewing. Thanks for the advice.

That's what I would call an addictive personality. It's been 4 months since you got your first kit and you have brewed 90 gallons? That's over 20 gallons of beer in a month, 8 cases of beer, 192 bottles, 6.4 bottles per day. I would guess this isn't the first time you have gone a bit overboard with a new hobby.

I found after I started brewing my commercial brew purchases got out of control. I had to buy unique styles and beers I haven't tried.. before I knew it I was brewing and spending over $100 on commercial beer a month. That's $1,200 a year on commercial beer. Needless to say I put my self on an adult time-out and am backing off a bit.

That being said if you have the discretionary income to buy every new piece of brewing equipment you lay eyes on then who cares? Brew on!

It does taper off after a couple years.

At least for most people. Some people just keep sliding down the slope.

NorCal... Don't have the money to get everything I want.. I wish. But since the end of April I have brewed every week and about 4 or 5 times I have brewed twice a week. My wife allows to have about 600 a month as "fun money" and I can honestly say I use every bit of it towards brewing. Another problem I have is everyone I know wants my beer, so even though I brewed a bunch, I should have a lot more in my pipeline than what I should.

NorCal... Don't have the money to get everything I want.. I wish. But since the end of April I have brewed every week and about 4 or 5 times I have brewed twice a week. My wife allows to have about 600 a month as "fun money" and I can honestly say I use every bit of it towards brewing. Another problem I have is everyone I know wants my beer, so even though I brewed a bunch, I should have a lot more in my pipeline than what I should.

The giving beer away thing tapers off, too. At first I was proud of my hobby and, quite frankly, I wanted to show off a bit. Now that I know I can make quality product I'm very selective about who I "give" beer to. Mainly it's my fellow brewing buddy that always returns the favor. I'm not inclined to offer my beer to anybody that shows interest.

I can buy into that... I give beer away so I can find out what other people think!! Thank god I got my kegging system, you would not believe how hard it would be for me to get my bottles back.

I can buy into that... I give beer away so I can find out what other people think!! Thank god I got my kegging system, you would not believe how hard it would be for me to get my bottles back.

No more beer until you bring me back my bottles! That might solve two problems at once!

A wise brewer once said (unfortunately I can't remember who to give proper credit): "Homebrewing beer to save money on beer is like buying a fishing boat to save money on fish."

A wise brewer once said (unfortunately I can't remember who to give proper credit): "Homebrewing beer to save money on beer is like buying a fishing boat to save money on fish."

I guess that means I should stop looking to buy a new house so I can have more room to brew and a yard to plant a beer garden, huh.

Welcome.
Now with my keezer built I can finally start my bar build. And with a basic AG setup built, I'm now starting my All Electric brew rig. But after that I'll be done with brewing projects....and then can start planning separate Brew shed :drunk:. Welcome to the rest of your poor life:D

Very true Steinsato... I just want to get to a point where there is nothing else I want to buy or build except ingredients. That will probably never happen though.

Yep. I always think, "if I could just get this piece of equipment then I would be happy with my set up" but then after I get that, there is always something else. It is never ending.

I found after I started brewing my commercial brew purchases got out of control. I had to buy unique styles and beers I haven't tried.. before I knew it I was brewing and spending over $100 on commercial beer a month. That's $1,200 a year on commercial beer. Needless to say I put my self on an adult time-out and am backing off a bit.

Yeah, I seriously have to stop doing this. I thought brewing my own would make me buy less commerical beer, but it ended up doing the complete opposite.

Back