I am giving up beer for 30 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 day down. Not too bad. Not drinking on a weekday isn't as challenging as the weekend. My biggest challenge is the time between getting home from work and eating dinner. I am usually very tired and stressed after work and so a cold beer is so nice, but instead I immediately ate a couple health snacks and drank a big glass of water, that made me feel a little full which helped me get over that temptation.

So not bad for one day. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

I'm sure this thread is somewhat dead, but I will use it to log my progress. Day 2 is just about in the books and no beer. I won't pat myself on the back for 2 days but it is a good first step.

Again I was worried about coming home from work and wanting that beer, but I instead had a glass of ginger ale and a substantial snack (A cliff bar and some almonds). That really filled me up and my craving went away and I made it through the evening. So if I can keep to that routine I think weekdays will be manageable. I can't say in two days I've noticed any major differences, today I did seem to have more energy then usual, so I'll try to keep reflecting on how differently I feel.

What I don't know how to plan for is weekends and special events. Well for me anytime football is on is a special event (ha!). But seriously, I am a big sports fan and watching football with a beer is again one of those habits. I still think in the future having 1 or 2 during a game is fine, but I can sometimes lose count.

There aren't any big games on yet (just pre-season), but the weekend will be here soon. I will just have to keep busy. The other issue I see myself running into is not drinking during brew days. I mean those two things just seem contradictory. Oh well, like this two week journey I'll take it one day at a time. And yes I know two weeks is weak compared to some who did 30, but it's a start.

I take a day or two off every couple of weeks just so that I can make sure that I am not in the "I need a beer" state.

I want a beer is ok.

I need a beer is a bad sign.

I drink too many but my weight is not out of control. Yet!

My issue has that there isn't much that I would prefer over beer. Juices and sodas are too sweet, and some contain more calories than beer. Water lacks flavor. What's left, Gatorade?

My issue has that there isn't much that I would prefer over beer. Juices and sodas are too sweet, and some contain more calories than beer. Water lacks flavor. What's left, Gatorade?

Have you considered making soda or kombucha? Both are decent replacements and if you make them you can control the sweetness.
Just a thought.

good luck to everyone. I've settled into a healthier routine, I no longer grab that beer as soon as I walk in the house, and I don't even want to.

As for replacement drinks, I rarely drink sodas but I like ginger ale, also, I got on the mineral water kick in Italy and I pretty much drink San Pellegrino as my regular drink now.

I still enjoy the beers and wine.

Well for me anytime football is on is a special event (ha!). But seriously, I am a big sports fan and watching football with a beer is again one of those habits. I still think in the future having 1 or 2 during a game is fine, but I can sometimes lose count.

There aren't any big games on yet (just pre-season), but the weekend will be here soon. I will just have to keep busy.

I used to justify having a couple of beers watching football, but in 2015 between NFL and college you could be watching football 5 days a week

Too much Gatorade isn't good either because of the high sodium content.

Not to mention all the sugar. It's not quite as bad as drinking soda, but Gatorade ain't exactly a health drink either, in spite of the way it's marketed.

Maybe try water infusions. I've no problem drinking plain tap water all day, but SWMBO is trying to cut back on sodas, and can't stand unflavored water. She bought one of those infuser-bottles, and likes to fill it with fruit (strawberries, lemon slices, limes, watermelon chunks, etc), mint leaves, or cucumber slices.

71kemie7wQL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to justify having a couple of beers watching football, but in 2015 between NFL and college you could be watching football 5 days a week

Exactly! Too much on TV now. I don't drink that much, but when my dolphins are playing I can lose track. Thankfully I'm way too busy with work to watch all the games so I got that going for me.

I usually pick up sobe life water or vitamin water, they are (usually) zero calories, and satisfy my taste buds.

I don't drink that much, but when my dolphins are playing I can lose track.

A lot of people in Buffalo are also losing track... of the number of years of not going to the playoffs! Maybe THIS will be their year...

Right, Rex?

Day 3 down. Today was kind of a "pseudo weekend" because my kids didn't have day care and I was home from work. I made sure to keep busy, have a good lunch that kept me full, I even took a 1 hour nap! I never get to take a nap. Then mowing the lawn. Usually afterwards I really enjoy a cold beer as I look upon my incredible lawn maintenance skill. But after mowing, I kept drinking lots of water (it's Florida!) and I really didn't have as much of a craving as I thought I would.

So I'm pretty happy with myself. I am realizing two things: 1) it seems my desire to drink are built around other habits like coming home and not eating something, or lawn mowing, brew day, sports. If I can modify those habits or form new ones I can keep better control, 2) I have noticed improvement already in my sleeping. I feel better rested in the morning, and I am falling to sleep faster at night. I haven't noticed much else, but it's only day 3 and as mentioned previously I don't really drink a ton so I'm not expecting some major changes. Just hoping for more energy, better sleep, and better hydration when I run in this hot weather.

My worry about the weekends might be alleviated based on today, but we'll see. My next biggest concern is staying dry while socializing with friends, where we usually go for some beers. I don't think we have any outings planned in the next two weeks in the clear, but I'm sure my friends will understand.

Day 4 in the books. Typical weekday which I'm getting used to, so no real challenges today. The kids are getting ready to start school next week so it's been a busy couple of days getting them to their meet-the-teacher events. Plus my radiator hose burst on the way home, so I get to stop at the mechanic tomorrow as well. But none of those stresses made me crave a beer any more than normal, I consider that progress.

Finished with day 6 now! Tomorrow will be my full week, which to me is a milestone. I honestly can't remember the last time I went a full week without any alcohol. I was worried about today because it was the weekend and I usually drink out of sheer boredom, plus today was a brew day for me. But I really didn't find myself craving a beer as bad as I thought I would. So that is a big plus. Although having a great homebrew during a brew session is a nice luxury, I know that I don't have to have one to make great beer.

So I keep making strides every day, which is always a good thing.

Finished with day 6 now! Tomorrow will be my full week, which to me is a milestone. I honestly can't remember the last time I went a full week without any alcohol. I was worried about today because it was the weekend and I usually drink out of sheer boredom, plus today was a brew day for me. But I really didn't find myself craving a beer as bad as I thought I would. So that is a big plus. Although having a great homebrew during a brew session is a nice luxury, I know that I don't have to have one to make great beer.

So I keep making strides every day, which is always a good thing.

The days are adding up to real progress. Keep up the good work!

Haven't written in a couple days but now on day 10. All things looking good and getting used to this. I haven't really noticed any significant changes, I've been sleeping slightly better but definitely still having some night of tossing and turning. I always called it up to alcohol butane its stress. Even better :/

What you said about your drinking being related to other habits most definitely applies to smoking as well.

Being a runner I assume you don't partake, however I almost quit smoking for good once just due to eliminating smoking after certain triggers. It got way easier after I eliminated the morning smoke. I started making myself be up for an hour and then two hours and then so on and so forth.

However my advice may not be great as I eventually relapsed and am back to my old habits

Lots of good advice from people. Good luck on the journey. I am sure your family supports you.

Since an average homebrew is somewhere around the 220 calories range, that equates to running about 1.5 miles. If I don't get out and 'earn it', i.e. above and beyond a normal day of activity, then I don't get any.

I make sure I go several days in a row without one, like a 4 days on, 3 days off, so that it is not a habit or a crutch, instead it is a real treat when I crack one open. I also figure if it isn't in bountiful supply, then I won't feel the need to keep consuming it. I do have a 'pipeline', but not several kegs and not several cases. I probably have about 36 bottles from my last 2 batches, and I know that my next batch will be several weeks before being ready. That keeps me in a conservation mode. Same method with having potato chips, I don't keep bags of them in the pantry, so they aren't readily available if I need a snack.

One of the biggest changes my wife and I made was to plan our evenings after work around activities, not around restaurants or the food. Now that eating is not the goal of going out, the food is not the focus or the end point, we end up being much more active, losing weight, and feeling so much healthier. These days we go out to see things, do things, play sports, be active, etc. It isn't revolving around the food. Food is kinda like the need to fill up the gas tank in your car on a road trip, it is not the purpose of the road trip. I've taken that approach with homebrew, and I think I actually enjoy good quality brew much more, quality over quantity. When you limit your drinking or your food intake, the quality of what you do consume is much higher, and you do appreciate it more.

I just saw this thread and I'm actually on day 23 of my 30 days without beer.

I had just kegged a double ipa, and around day 7 I kegged a fresh Wit. It was hard to keep my hands off.

But the hardest part was going to the county fair on Sunday and watching my DIPA win the category and 3rd for Best of Show. Watching the judges drink all that beer, and say all those nice things about mine, then come home and not even be able to drink it? That was torture!

one....more....week...

Good luck all you guys rolling on this. I completed my 27 days and forgot about the thread. I'm still keeping below my 14 beers per week goal after my 30 days.

Keep up the hard work guys....it was pretty cool to have saved about 110 beers up during my time off. Gave me a good head start on a pipeline.

What you said about your drinking being related to other habits most definitely applies to smoking as well.

Being a runner I assume you don't partake, however I almost quit smoking for good once just due to eliminating smoking after certain triggers. It got way easier after I eliminated the morning smoke. I started making myself be up for an hour and then two hours and then so on and so forth.

However my advice may not be great as I eventually relapsed and am back to my old habits

I actually was a smoker throughout college and quit when I got married 12 years ago. The patch worked for me, but you are absolutely right on triggers. I never predicted I would become a runner. It's taken lots of hard work and dedication to change my old self.

Done with day 11. Almost to my 14 day goal. Many of you have done 30 but for me I don't think it necessary. I've learned a lot in just under two weeks time but I can say I do miss that pint. But I have no gotten to the point where i come home I don't even think about beer until later, which shows that my biggest habit has been altered, at least slightly. I'm sure I can fall back into it but I will plan some kind of dry period during the week, or just make sure to limit myself to only one.

I was hoping with this dry period to also determine if I feel any differently, especially while sleeping and my runs. I actually can't say that I do. Some morning I do feel like I am sleeping better but the past few days I am sleeping worse. Work is getting more stressful and next week starts several months of higher workload so maybe that's it. But I can't say that I feel significantly different than when I was drinking. Again I wasn't binge drinking so maybe it doesn't matter, but it's good to know that I am keeping things in moderation.

One more weekend and I'm done. I'll slowly get back into things. Before I started this I just kegged an IPA that was still quite green, so I'm looking forward to having my first taste be a new batch.

Done with day 11. Almost to my 14 day goal. Many of you have done 30 but for me I don't think it necessary. I've learned a lot in just under two weeks time but I can say I do miss that pint. But I have no gotten to the point where i come home I don't even think about beer until later, which shows that my biggest habit has been altered, at least slightly. I'm sure I can fall back into it but I will plan some kind of dry period during the week, or just make sure to limit myself to only one.

Well done! I was thinking that I've heard it takes 3 weeks to develop a habit. I read a lot of stuff about exercising and fitness, I'm sure that's where I've seen it several times. If you can keep it up for just a few more days you'll crack that barrier. I have set a specific time where I will crack open a bottle. Sometimes I say "nothing until 8pm". Then I fill the time with getting chores done, cleaning up, take out the trash, cut the grass, mop the floor, clean the bathroom, fix something, paint a wall, all that crap that used to get pushed aside. Then I can say I accomplished something, and the nice cold brew is a reward for actually getting something done. If I do a lot, I get 2!:D

UPDATE:

Approaching 2 months since my 30-day hiatus. First few weeks were solid, no drinking during the week, Fri/Sat only. But I found, like others, I started kind of binging on those days.

After a doctor's appointment and blood work, I determined to lose 20 pounds over a nice six-month haul to work on lifestyle, not dieting. This has allowed me to enjoy a beverage whenever I want and even out the week.

Cheers to all of you who are taking a 30-day break or who took the challenge in the last couple of months. I think it's important to do once or twice a year.

I will be doing it again in January before a big trip to Hawaii!

good luck to everyone. I've settled into a healthier routine, I no longer grab that beer as soon as I walk in the house, and I don't even want to.

As for replacement drinks, I rarely drink sodas but I like ginger ale, also, I got on the mineral water kick in Italy and I pretty much drink San Pellegrino as my regular drink now.

I still enjoy the beers and wine.

I used to drink a bitter soft drink, Chinotto, from San Pellegrino. It was wonderful and I imagine many craft beer drinkers would love it, sadly I can no longer find it.

UPDATE:

Approaching 2 months since my 30-day hiatus. First few weeks were solid, no drinking during the week, Fri/Sat only. But I found, like others, I started kind of binging on those days.

It's great to hear from you. I've stopped thinking of beers as an allowance, I'll have one or I won't have one. My only restriction is on total beers, that's three for me.

Have a great time in Hawaii!

UPDATE:

After a doctor's appointment and blood work, I determined to lose 20 pounds over a nice six-month haul to work on lifestyle, not dieting. This has allowed me to enjoy a beverage whenever I want and even out the week.

Cheers to all of you who are taking a 30-day break or who took the challenge in the last couple of months. I think it's important to do once or twice a year.

Right. This is why quitting the things you love as a diet is bad. You fall off the wagon HARD. It has to be a lifestyle change for it to count in the long run. So, drinking a beer or 2 daily and working on not binging I thing is more important than going without all week and letting yourself splurge a little on weekends.
My drinking goes through phases where I'll be drinking a fair amount regularly and more on weekends and other phases where I won't really drink a whole lot (which means a day or two off a week, not really much more than 3 on weekends)... the challenge for me is evening those phases out. Right now I feel like I'm in a heavy drinking phase... Still losing weight though because I'm biking A LOT.

times up. Well technically yesterday at midnight but I didn't wait up to drink. So two weeks are in the books. I can't say I really noticed that much of difference except during my running in this florida heat. I definitely felt more hydrated but there were days that I felt just as tired as I did when I was drinking, and I used to attribute that to having some alcohol the day before. More than likely it's just accumulation of heat fatigue.

Anyways I learned a few things. 1) I don't need beer but it is nice to have, 2) my sleep wasn't much different. There were plenty of restless nights and tired mornings with and without alcohol, which means I need to start working on other aspects of my life. Unfortunately in my career the stress won't go away - at least for 3 more years, 3) I have had some mood inconsistencies over the past couple of years, I won't go into more detail but it definitely is not affected by the alcohol. Exacerbated? Yes, probably, but not the cause.

Lastly, I realize this was only a two week experience so many might say I didn't stay dry long enough. Maybe. But for me I got some answers I was looking for. I definitely think I need to incorporate more dry days in my week but I'm happy to tap my Moon Man pale ale clone today. It's delicious!

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Cheers!

I always go dry for Jan, lots of holiday drinking... just lay low in Jan and dont drink a drop.

Anyways I learned a few things. 1) I don't need beer but it is nice to have, 2) my sleep wasn't much different. There were plenty of restless nights and tired mornings with and without alcohol, which means I need to start working on other aspects of my life. Unfortunately in my career the stress won't go away - at least for 3 more years, 3) I have had some mood inconsistencies over the past couple of years, I won't go into more detail but it definitely is not affected by the alcohol. Exacerbated? Yes, probably, but not the cause.

Lastly, I realize this was only a two week experience so many might say I didn't stay dry long enough. Maybe. But for me I got some answers I was looking for. I definitely think I need to incorporate more dry days in my week but I'm happy to tap my Moon Man pale ale clone today. It's delicious!

I've found the same to be true for me as well. My mood swings whether I drink beer or not. I'm tired with or without; I sleep crappy with or without, etc. I think I've blamed beer for issues for too long. I'm sure it doesn't help, but there are many other factors for why we don't feel well on a certain day. Sometimes, there's just no explanation, it's just an off day.

times up. Well technically yesterday at midnight but I didn't wait up to drink. So two weeks are in the books. I can't say I really noticed that much of difference except during my running in this florida heat. I definitely felt more hydrated but there were days that I felt just as tired as I did when I was drinking, and I used to attribute that to having some alcohol the day before. More than likely it's just accumulation of heat fatigue.

Are you taking in any caffeine? I found that was a huge problem for me. Now I usually keep it at only one six ounce cup of coffee a day.

Back