I am a n00b - and I need some help with recipes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So - my buddy gave me a recipe for something he wanted me to make a while back, and I have since lost touch with him. This is what I have typed out on a peice of paper:

Toasted Coconut Porter
Volume = 2.6 gallons
OG = 1.058; FG = 1.021
Boiling time = 60 min
Primary = 20 days at 65F
Secondary = 14 days at 65F

4.4 lb pale malt
0.8 lb chocolate malt
0.3 lb crystal malt (80L)

0.64 oz Northern Brewer whole hops (8.0% alpha) for 60 min
0.32 oz East Kent Golding whole hops (5.4%) for 10 min

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
7.2 oz shredded coconut, toasted (in secondary)
2.18 oz dry malt extract (for priming)

Mash grains at 153F for 90 min. Add toasted coconut to secondary.

---------------------------

Now - apparently this stuff is the Nectar of the Gods and has won him an award at a local competition - so I REALLY want to make it.

However, I am making the leap from Mr Beer, and I have no idea what all those numbers mean. Any help will be appreciated.

Again, I am pretty new at this. I am making the jump from Mr Beer (I posted a thread in the equipment forum about what I am looking at buying) and am really unsure of the procedures.

Maybe you could head over to that forum and see if what I am looking at is able to support this recipe?

OK, let's take this line-by-line. And if I say something you already know, I apologize in advance. It's better to tell you too much, than not enough.

Toasted Coconut Porter
Volume = 2.6 gallons
The finishing volume of your batch. Since you have to do a full 60-minute boil, you''re going to lose quite a bit of water. Measure where you want to be, so you can add water at the end to make up for what's lost during the boil.

OG = 1.058; FG = 1.021
Starting and finishing specific gravity

Boiling time = 60 min
Primary = 20 days at 65F
Secondary = 14 days at 65F
Two-stage fermentation. twenty days to ferment the beer, then 14 days, apparently to extract the coconut flavor. Time need not be exact. When fermentaion slows to a crawl, siphon into a clean sanitized vessel, add the coconut, and wait the 14 days.

4.4 lb pale malt
0.8 lb chocolate malt
0.3 lb crystal malt (80L)
I ran this through my recipe software. These numbers aren't exact, but close.
4 lb pale extract
0.75 chocolate malt
.0.25 crystal malt (80L)
This gave me a star*ting gravity of 1.059. You can bump this up or down, as you see fit.

0.64 oz Northern Brewer whole hops (8.0% alpha) for 60 min
0.32 oz East Kent Golding whole hops (5.4%) for 10 min
Personally, I would go with 0.75 oz Northern Brewer (or any 8.0% hop), then 0.25 Kent Goldings. But, it could just be me. I don't like to be overly precise.

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
I would definitely stay with this yeast.

7.2 oz shredded coconut, toasted (in secondary)
Again, why not just use half a pound?

2.18 oz dry malt extract (for priming)
Corn or cane sugar will work just as well for priming.

I hope this helps, and good luck! It sounds tasty. I may try this myself.

Joe

Mash grains at 153F for 90 min. Add toasted coconut to secondary.

Back