I accidentally used cornstarch instead of corn sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizzle

Reaction score
First let me explain this marvel of a noob mistake...

I got the corn sugar in my kit, about 2/3 a cup boiled it in water (2 cups) and then bulk primed...then I get nervous that it won't be enough carbonation...run to the grocery and not really knowing the difference I add just a pinch to each bottle (using 22 oz.) and fill 'em up. I realize now the difference and am willing to take the appropriate about of razzing because of it.

My question is, should I open them up and filter them then add a little sugar cane? (been in bottles for about 22 hrs) Or will the little amount of starch added really make any difference.

Bottled 4.5 gallons of a SN celebration clone. Thanks for the help and let the good natured ribbing begin!

I think most of the starch will settle out and what's left will just make your beer a little hazy. I'd leave it be.

Well there is a new cause for haze.

at this point I would let the beast be !

That starch should settle out to the bottom of the bottle.
I would not mess with it. I am sure it has happened before.
be sure to aggressively chill the beer after it has had time to carb up to help with the haze.

Good luck !

The amount of sugar in there already should be more than enough. Don't worry about the carbonation level.

I am interested to see how the corn starch thing turns out...

I would leave it alone. I don't think the starch is very fermentable, and that amount of corn sugar will probably be ok. I don't measure my sugar by the cup any more, rather I weigh it out, and have found very good results with a lot less volume than the traditional recommendations. I would probably use 60-80g for 4.5 gal depending on the style.

Let it sit for 2 weeks, if it is still under carbed let it go for another 2. At that point if you are not willing to drink it at that carb level, you might add a bit of sugar.

You'll probably be just fine though the way it is though.

Why were you nervous that it wouldn't be enough carbonation? 2/3 of a cup should be good for most all 5 gallon batches.

Don't try to filter the beer at this point, especially if you don't have a proper beer filter set up. You will likely have hazy beer from the corn starch, but I doubt there will too much change in the flavor.

I laughed so hard when I read the title I had to reply. Although I dont really know what to say about cornstarch. :D
Sorry, all kidding aside welcome to the board. hehehe
Cornstarch is a thickener for most food products but I have to admit this is a new one for me. I'm thinking RDWHAHB and see if you end up with jello beer. Maybe I should not have answered this or been buzzed when I did.
Edit: how many people can answer in two minutes? da,mn thread whores!

I do a lot of cooking. When I mix cornstarch and water to thicken a gravy or a sauce it immediately starts to separate. The cornstarch heads to the bottom of the mixing container within a minute or two. So I'm betting that it will do the same thing in your beer. You might have to be extra careful with you pour those bottles. Other than that I think you'll not notice a difference.

Good Luck...

I will keep you all posted, thank you all for the quick responses! You have done quite a bit to calm my fears.

Since I am a noob I'll also ask the question what does SWMBO stand for?

Someone Who Mustn't Be Obfuscated! (mod edit)

Hmmm, sounds like Cornbread Ale to me!!! Want to send me one of those!!! ;0)

Edit: Lol, that's what I get for trying to help a noob, being a noob I get mod edited!!! Haha! I guess I should start playing the game too then!!!

I've heard of sugar in the gravy instead of cornstarch, but never cornstarch instead of sugar in beer!

Sorry. Had to say it. I think it will be fine.

For future reference, it takes very little sugar to prime 5 gallons. The general amount is 3/4 cup. If you want to carbonate to style, you can even calculate by weight how much sugar you need to get specific volumes of CO2. A program like Beersmith will do it.

Noobs should be banned from answering that question until they understand the ramifications.

Just think in a few years you can come back and look at one of your first posts and get a giggle.. I do with my first post!

What *could* happen is that the cornstarch will cause that little bit of bottle-carbing yeast to stick to the bottom of the bottle, so that when you pour it you can actually drink every last drop of your delicious homebrew. Hundreds of gallons of beer will get drunk that otherwise were being poured down the drain; you'll be a hero to homebrewers everywhere, and everybody who's anybody will prime their bottles with cornstarch and your name will go down in brewing history. Or not. :)

And for a tiny bit of science...

When we get our grain from the store, the inside is all starch. It has to be converted into fermentable sugar, which is what we mash for. (Regular) yeast can only ferment glucose, fructose, sucrose, maltose, and maltotriose. Your starch is totally unfermentable, and will just fall to the bottom of the bottle. It may cause a little haze, but you'll be fine.

Lets stop the SWMBO jokes and stay on topic. ALSO the best way to learn is to discuss, so no, we won't be stopping anyone from answering questions.

All joking aside, I am intrigued now. I want to know what happens, I may even have to bottle a sixer with Corn Starch just to see what the affects are.

All joking aside, I am intrigued now. I want to know what happens, I may even have to bottle a sixer with Corn Starch just to see what the affects are.

I think it was stated pretty early on that nothing will happen, except maybe a little haze. This isn't some new crazy method, its just a guy saying he accidentally used cornstarch. I wouldn't advocate people going out and dumping cornstarch into their beer just to see what happens.

Bizzle, I'm sorry for your mistake - we've all done things like this and it often comes about like yours did - everything was fine but we just had to fiddle with it one more time.

That being said, this is hilarious! Spit out your morning coffee funny! Thanks for sharing!

:ban:

For future reference. If you have a corn sugar emergency, like you just don't have any, then look no further than your sugar bowl. You will just need a little more, that's all. :)

It will be fine, so try not to feel bad for us finding this funny. That's two mornings in a row I've started the day with a noob-mistake induced laugh. Though the guy who got wasted brewing and added yeast to the boil definitely has you beat.

:D

:mug:

I wouldn't advocate people going out and dumping cornstarch into their beer just to see what happens.

I know a lot of homebrewers that play the "will it ferment?" game, and would do just that to see what happens. Once you're able to dial in your process, adding variables like that on a small scale could be considered interesting.

Do I plan to? No. But if somebody wants to do it, I say go for it! :D

From what I understand, malto-dextrin is a by product of hydrolozed corn starch. So from that stand point it might be a useful ingredient in soda if MD is not available.

It will be fine, so try not to feel bad for us finding this funny. That's two mornings in a row I've started the day with a noob-mistake induced laugh. Though the guy who got wasted brewing and added yeast to the boil definitely has you beat.

:D

:mug:

I don't think anyone tops the guy who primed his beer with Splenda and was asking why it didn't carbonate. :) We all make mistakes... some are just funnier than others. If you make one of those, share it, laugh along with everyone else and you become a better brewer for it.

It has been some time and I have been drinking the "corn starch ale" as it has been dubbed by my buddies...the startch just settled to the bottom and really didn't do much. The beer was a little undercobonated (doubt the startch had anything to do with this) and it was also a little sour (but I believe that is due to some poor sanitation on my part). I laughed reading the posted again. Thanks!

I know a lot of homebrewers that play the "will it ferment?" game, and would do just that to see what happens. Once you're able to dial in your process, adding variables like that on a small scale could be considered interesting.

Do I plan to? No. But if somebody wants to do it, I say go for it! :D

The issue with that is that we KNOW what yeast will ferment. It has to be a basic sugar. Starch is too complex to be broken down by yeast. This is why we mash and let the temperature and enzymes break the starch down into the sugars it can manage.

The will it ferment game is much more fun with orange juice and snickers bars.

It has been some time and I have been drinking the "corn starch ale" as it has been dubbed by my buddies...the startch just settled to the bottom and really didn't do much. The beer was a little undercobonated (doubt the startch had anything to do with this) and it was also a little sour (but I believe that is due to some poor sanitation on my part). I laughed reading the posted again. Thanks!

the sour tastes will probably dissipate with time as well. All off flavors eventually leave with time from what I've gathered as off flavors in my beers. Patience is stamped into my head from all the posts I've read. :mug:

Latest posts

Back