I <3 small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanobrau

Tiny tiny batches
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been brewing small batches for about 7 years. By small, I mean it, with my smallest batch being a dry-hopped 12oz "brew in a bottle". But mostly these days I'm doing 1 - 1.5 gallons. This small size enables me to do everything rapidly, with brew days being knocked out in 2.5 - 3.5 hours, cleaning included.

I'm looking forward to sharing my bizarre brewing adventure, some of which will be in the form of questions that sound crazy for people operating in the 1bbl+ (aka pro) range.

Cheers

Sounds cool! I'd love to brew more often, but it's often hard to find the time and I'm also often lagging in terms of consumption, with beer piling up and not enough empty bottles for the next batch. I brew 20 litre batches together with a friend, which makes 10l each. I always give some of it away, but it's still a bit too much for me honestly.

So, yeah, I've been thinking of doing smaller batches, although the required time doesn't scale so well: mashing, boiling, etc., all still take their time. On my grainfather, a brewday is usually complete within 6 hours (including setup and cleanup), so taking half the time (as you say you do) for just a fifth of the volume sounds like a bad deal - if you forget for a moment that I don't even want that much beer ^^

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your process!

So, yeah, I've been thinking of doing smaller batches, although the required time doesn't scale so well: mashing, boiling, etc., all still take their time. On my grainfather, a brewday is usually complete within 6 hours (including setup and cleanup), so taking half the time (as you say you do) for just a fifth of the volume sounds like a bad deal - if you forget for a moment that I don't even want that much beer ^^
For me, the tradeoffs are certainly tipped towards as short of a process as possible with equipment that I can fit in the kitchen.

Finding a 6 hour block of time is basically impossible o_O

And like you, I don’t drink a ton. I still have bottles from 2 years ago. My beer fridge is kept full so I’m happy.

Welcome to the forum. Here it's all about home brew. Quantity isn't the goal for most of us, it's the satisfaction of being able to make what you want in the style and volume we choose. So brew on friend.

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk @nanobrau.
I'm doing 1 - 1.5 gallons.
I'm looking forward to sharing my bizarre brewing adventure, some of which will be in the form of questions that sound crazy for people operating in the 1bbl+ (aka pro) range.
The topic "1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! (link)" may be of interest. It's also a pretty safe place to have good discussion with others who brew smaller batches. You can start reading the topic in in 2019 (page 162 (link)) or 2021 (page 180 (link)) to get caught up quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

Back