I <3 Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
My session ale with an OG of about 1.045 was just dominated by Nottingham. In no more than 30 hours @ 65F, it has already fermented out completely. I'll be drinking this baby by next weekend :ban:

I use Nottingham in all of my beers that don't require a specialty yeast. 1 pack (pitched dry) finishes my 1.060 APA to 1.010 or lower in 48 hours everytime.

Nothing comes close for the price.

Nottingham is a beast! I use it in pretty much everything. It's a great neutral yeast and it ferments like a mad-man (if a mad-man were capable of such things).

3371-IM007952.JPG

3371-IM007958.JPG

I love Nottingham too. These are pics of my first brew. I wasn't sure if this was normal, but you guys assured me it was, and this beer kicked ass.

Ya gotta be careful with that stuff. You might ferment your hand off if your skin comes in contact with it :D

Do you think that this yeast would work good for a Scottish Export Ale. I am looking to save a little cash and this would save me like 7 bucks as opposed to White Labs Edinburgh. The recipe is below in my signature.

drevilz4l said:
Do you think that this yeast would work good for a Scottish Export Ale. I am looking to save a little cash and this would save me like 7 bucks as opposed to White Labs Edinburgh. The recipe is below in my signature.

You could use Windsor or Fermentis S-04 for that recipe...

Will this yeast work for all ales? And do you pitch 1 or 2 packet's? It would be nice to save some money on extract kit's.

wildwest450 said:
Will this yeast work for all ales? And do you pitch 1 or 2 packet's? It would be nice to save some money on extract kit's.

Yes but it will leave the beer slightly drier than US-05 for example. IMO, drier is better with all extract recipes. Pitch one packet for anything below 1.070, two if its bigger...

Never used nottingham, but I love US-05. I use it in everything that doesn't need a yeast character. I did order a few packs of nottingham with my las AHS order just to see if I like it better than us-05.

Notty FTW... I just used it to know down the FG on a big belgian. I think the belgian yeast gave up at 73% and I wanted to get 76%ish... pitched 22g of notty in secondary and let it burrrrnn ;)

Soulive said:
My session ale with an OG of about 1.045 was just dominated by Nottingham. In no more than 30 hours @ 65F, it has already fermented out completely. I'll be drinking this baby by next weekend :ban:

Wow drinking it after a week?

Nottingham came with my first kit (BB Weizenbier), and it was fermenting at 71F in 8 hours. It's now been 24 hours, and it's at about 2 bubbles a second.

Very exciting. I guess it'll be done quick so I can get it in bottles :)!

no, leave it for several weeks, then put it into bottles. in the meantime brew another batch. just because it finishes fermenting fast, doesn't mean it's "done." it needs time to condition.

trust me ;)

:mug:

......try adding some trub from a Nottingham brew to a new brew! Instead of pitching over a yeast cake, I scooped out maybe 6oz. of trub and added that with a new pack of hydrated Nottingham. I had bubbles in less than two hours. Still 1 per second after two days.

I used Nottingham on the brew I did Friday. Pitched at 3PM, had airlock activity after 5 hours. Now Sunday afternoon and it's done. Of course I'll be leaving it alone for another 19 days. I love this yeast.

Rehydrate it! Put it in a little warm water before pitching and let it just hang out. You thought it was a beast straight from the pack into the wort, try this, it will begin a ferment in 2 hours! I always worry about it jumping out of my little mason jar like the blob and fermenting me to death, just a foamy pile of bones on the floor.

Back