Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Bought one- used it for the first time this past weekend and it broke while spinning in the test jar.
Ordered another from Amazon and came in broken. kinda irked as I have a brew planned for tomorrow and wanted to use the hydrometer but no go.

These things are too fragile for me. With that said, I'm thinking about getting a refractometer. I've read pro's and cons about them.

How accurate are they (pre-fermentation)? I see that Northern Brewer has a calculator to use for determining FG. Has anyone used this calculator and if so is it accurate?

Or should I just get another hydrometer?

I broke my first one when I took it out of the box. Didn't realize how fragile it was. Second one broke in a slightly less stupid manner.

Now I have a set of three narrow range ones and a spare wide range one.

I think the narrow range ones are great. Refractometers are very accurate prefermentation. NB calculator is pretty accurate I think.

For the same price as a refratometer you can get a set of 3 narrow guage hydrometers. I vote hydrometers.

I like my refractometer, but only because I calibrated it against my hydrometer using solutions of known brix. However, if I just ballpark my OG instead of taking an actual measurement (don't ask me why or how this happens) then I find I get wierd and wonky FG values with my refractometer.

Any chance you can pick up your replacement hydrometer locally?

I'm currently on my first hydrometer, after giving back a loaner before I had a chance to break it. But I did also get a spare when I picked up a floor corker for 30 bucks. so I hope I don't kill them too soon. I did have a dream that I'd broken them both in the same day though.

I like my refractometer, but only because I calibrated it against my hydrometer using solutions of known brix. However, if I just ballpark my OG instead of taking an actual measurement (don't ask me why or how this happens) then I find I get wierd and wonky FG values with my refractometer.

Any chance you can pick up your replacement hydrometer locally?

I'm currently on my first hydrometer, after giving back a loaner before I had a chance to break it. But I did also get a spare when I picked up a floor corker for 30 bucks. so I hope I don't kill them too soon. I did have a dream that I'd broken them both in the same day though.

No. Closest HBS is 1 hr away and don't have time to make a trip.

I broke my first one when I took it out of the box. Didn't realize how fragile it was. Second one broke in a slightly less stupid manner.

Now I have a set of three narrow range ones and a spare wide range one.

I think the narrow range ones are great. Refractometers are very accurate prefermentation. NB calculator is pretty accurate I think.

For the same price as a refratometer you can get a set of 3 narrow guage hydrometers. I vote hydrometers.

Did you get them from Northern Brewer? I may look into those.

I use both a refractometer and a hydrometer. The refractometer is great for pre-fermentation because it doesn't require chilling the sample and you don't need to fill a whole cylinder. I do this to quickly check my pre-boil gravity and near the end of the boil. I find I can get a little more accurate readings with the hydrometer so I take a reading before and after fermentation.

I bought two when I started & finally broke the 2nd one last winter or spring. On my third one now. I like the glass ones better than the Cooper's plastic ones they have now.

I have bought 3, all still work.

I retired the first one after 25 years because the weight inside became loose - still works fine as a spare.

After a couple of years of low FGs, I discovered my second one read .003 low, so bought my third earlier this year.

I have a refractometer that I use for measuring mash gravity and OGs, but always use an hydrometer for FG.

Back