Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you calibrate your hydrometer? I was starting to think that mine was off the other day so I bought some distilled water and tested it. It is supposed to read 1.000 at 60F. it read 1.002. It did not read 1.000 until 70F. And it did not read 0.999 until 80F. So a word of advice, calibrate your hydrometer, it may not be exactly what you think! :mug:

I'm pretty sure that newer hydrometers are calibrated for 68F, not 60F... Unless you have an older hydrometer that's calibrated at 60F, having it read 1.000 at 70F sounds pretty normal to me.

I would also make sure you have a very accurate thermometer to take temps with. For hydrometer samples, as well as when I'm mashing, I use a digital instant-read thermometer. It stays on as long as I want it to (an actual on/off button on it) so I can let it stay in what's being measured for as long as I wish.

My hydrometer has a thermometer on it. It also says that it is supposed to read at 60F. That's why I found it odd that it was so off. I just wanted to post this as a reminder to all and an fyi to noobs to check it every now and then.

Back