Hydrometer Won't Float!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
I was taking my reading after 8 days of fermenting....the airlock was showing that the process was slowing down and wanted to take a reading.

The hydrometer jsut sunk to the bottom of the tube...would not float at all? Am I doing something wrong?

The brew tasted pretty good, however!

Any thoughts?

Was it completely submerged in the sample? If not, maybe you just didn't pull a big enough sample.

I'd test your hydrometer in water just to check that it isn't broken, cracked or something.

Put more liquid in the tube.

If it's not completely submerged and it is touching bottom, this is your problem.

If it is completely submerged, then you're hydrometer's probably broken or faulty.

Make sure there was enough liquid in the test tube. Like BGBC said you can test with water to checkc for accuracy and check if the hydrometer is broken.

I recon that you heve just found the equivalent of the brewers G spot, an orgasmic fermentation, satisfied all expectations, I hope you can do it again !

You guys nailed it...not enough beer in tube. Here are pics of the reading. My only concern now is that the top of the hydrometer clings to the wall of the tube? Not sure if that is normal/ok, as opposed to floating in middle. In any event, the reading is now 1.010.

hydrometer 1.jpg

hydrometer 2.jpg

That's probably the right reading, but you can spin it a little to get it to come away from the wall.

Now stop opening that fermenter and let your yeast do its job!

I actually have a spigot in my primary so was using that. Thanks, you guys, for all the QUICK replies! Appreciate it.

Hydrometer clings to the wall of the cylinder because the hydrometer is tilted. It gets tilted because it's got bubbles clinging to the bottom of it. You need to twirl it sort of rapidly to get the bubbles to fly off then check your reading. That, or just let it sit for an hour or so and then check it.

Tilt the tube until the hydrometer lets go of the wall. I have to hold the tube and constantly adjust the angle to keep it off of the wall while I read it.

You have to spin the Hydrometer, to get the air bubbles off from it. So that you can get an acurate reading. The air bubbles are helping it float, even as small as they are.

Put hydrometer in test tube first, then fill so that beer comes right to top of rim. If there is foam, dab it up with the corner of a paper towel. You should get a clean reading this way. Oh, and drink test sample --- don't return it to wort.

I have the same problem and i have tried all the remedies everyone has offered to no avail. when i do the shake test I have no bubbles, I tried to burn it to no avail. The only burn I get is when I take a sip.

6 year old thread. Which same problem and what are you trying to burn?

On a serious note...burn? what kind of hydro is this? a proof trale one?

and Welcome! (damned if you do, damned if you don't! people get scolded for NOT using search and starting new threads too! ;) lol)

6 year old thread. Which same problem and what are you trying to burn?
The problem is that I gotten 2 hydrometer to check the proof of my shine but neither of them will float. They sink no matter how much I pour into the container. I have tried the shake test and have no bubbles. As for burning one site shows methanol burning clear and ethanol burns blue I can get the methanol to burn but not the ethanol. As far as the thread being 6yrs old it’s the only thing I could get anyone to respond to thanks for responding.

Latest posts

Back