Hydrometer reads wrong, can it be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
We'll I took an SG reading on my batch that should be ready to bottle, 1.02 again. I got my computer out and looked up the suggestions on stuck fermentations, swirled, added yeast nutrient, calcium, etc and now have bubbling in the air lock again. But, I noticed (again) there are many posts about checking hydrometer in water, so for sh_ts and ggls, I did it (I had checked it when my kit first got here and it checked out fine). It read 1.003 in 62 degree water. So, it's been telling me wrong for no telling how long. I always noticed when I would taste the sample, it didn't seem overly sweet to me. Should I just adjust future reading by the amount of error, or replace the thing with a better one? Since it's a closed device, I doubt it is correctable. It sure points out that us noobies really need to read (listen) close to you's guys. Thanks for your help!!

If you want to make sure, you can mix up a solution of sugar and water and check it with that. If you know exactly how much sugar and water you use, you should know exactly the SG of the liquid. So, if the hydrometer is exactly .003 high in, say, a 1.050 solution then you would know you can just adjust by .003.

Me... I'd probably just get a new hydrometer. They're cheap.

Did you measure using distilled water and a calibrated thermometer? If not, you still cannot be sure that your hydrometer is incorrect.

I agree. Depending on the mineral content of your water you could have water that is higher than 1.0. I am not 100% positive, but I beileve you should be able to find the temperature that your water is 1.0 and use the temperature adjustment techiques from there.

Latest posts

Back